Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

What about The Queen's next weekly meeting with the Prime Minister. i wonder if she is alone in the room during those, Boris definitely seems the kind of guy to take advantage of a greiving widow and "slip her the biscuit"

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 5

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56903877

Her Majesty resumes official duties, accepting credentials (remotely) from the new ambassadors from Latvia and the Ivory Coast.

Looks happy, like the pro she is, but also looks no different physically, which is harder to hide, even remotely.

• Like 1

Delivers a Queen's Speech, clear eyed and with a strong voice.

Unfortunately, she's reading a speech written by Bawjaws, which is so vague and unclear, it's making her look like she has Alzheimers.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Delivers a Queen's Speech, clear eyed and with a strong voice.

Unfortunately, she's reading a speech written by Bawjaws, which is so vague and unclear, it's making her look like she has Alzheimers.

My government is going to recover from Covid by levelling up the country. Consequently, they will be bulldozing the Highlands and sticking them on top of Norfolk.

• Like 2

Just now, RoverAndOut said:

My government is going to recover from Covid by levelling up the country. Consequently, they will be bulldozing the Highlands and sticking them on top of Norfolk.

Just a point - if we were all part of an equal UK, nobody would have been left behind. Nobody would need levelling up. What level? It's all pish.

Anyway, back to the speech - we will create jobs, look at social care, draw up measures on this, propose on that. It was bloody awful. I think the only definites were lock people up for longer and make it harder for people to vote. These are their priorities after this past year? C'mon,  Betty should have stood up and walked away.

• Like 1

On a sartorial note, was very surprised not to see her in black - I thought mourning in royal circles went on a bit longer than three or four weeks. Queen Victoria managed 40 years after all. 

• Like 1

On 11/05/2021 at 21:25, Cerberus said:

On a sartorial note, was very surprised not to see her in black - I thought mourning in royal circles went on a bit longer than three or four weeks. Queen Victoria managed 40 years after all. 

Well, I'm guessing here, but perhaps some black lacy underwear from Ann Summers under the housecoat? :D

On 11/05/2021 at 21:25, Cerberus said:

The Queen is a woman of duty, and unlike Prince Albert's her husbands death was relatively expected. She knows the line between duty and personal, and she did a grand job of the state opening under difficult circumstances. 

• Like 1

On 18-4-2021 at 15:39, Toast said:

One of the two corgi puppies, Fergus, has died at just 5 months old. Looks like she might once more outlive her pets :(

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14997282/queen-suffers-fresh-heartache-death-dorgi-puppies/

• Sad 5

I'm willing to bet the other one (the corgi puppy) will outlive her.

Fergus seems to have been a dorgi, which means that Candy is again the Queen's only dorgi. Candy is probably very old, as the dog was in the QEII's Bond cameo in 2012

UK Government plan on her being here next June as four day holiday planned for Platinum Jubilee.

• Like 1

President and Mrs. Biden are going to visit the Queen on June 11th-  I am sure it will be a lot more pleasant than the last Presidential visit! https://www.npr.org/2021/06/03/1002838875/president-biden-and-first-lady-jill-biden-will-visit-the-queen-soon

• Haha 1

Queen 'axed' by Oxford college.

If they are offended by colonialism they had better start dismantling the University brick by brick, college by college. If they need help I'd easily swing by with a bulldozer. I might even given them some warning to give them time to get out...

7 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Queen 'axed' by Oxford college.

If they are offended by colonialism they had better start dismantling the University brick by brick, college by college. If they need help I'd easily swing by with a bulldozer. I might even given them some warning to give them time to get out...

The Queen hasn't been 'axed'; they've opted to remove a photograph from a wall. Why this should even be deemed newsworthy is beyond me. The photograph has only been there for 8 years, so its not like anyone's erasing centuries of tradition.

Secondly, its not being done by an Oxford College, its a decision taken by one group (MCR) within an Oxford College.

Also, everyone should be offended by colonialism.

• Like 2

The  Common members voted to hang up the photo. Now they've voted to replace it with another. Someone put a line in there designed to rile up twitter and the government about it, and it worked. Non-story.

All it does is remind me Gavin Williamson is manifestly unfit to run a soft play centre, let alone one of the more prestigious offices of state in the UK. (Although a man who leaked important security secrets to the press shouldn't even be in parliament, let alone the front bench...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, completely unnecessary for a cabinet member to give this decision national attention and thus, politicizing it. But it's happening everywhere now. Random private people are now being used to score political points.

1 hour ago, time said:

Who told you that?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Who told you that?

No-one, its self-evident.

2 hours ago, time said:

Well, I'm not.  It's part of the history of many countries.  Things that happened, happened. 

Ridiculous that anyone should be "offended" by stuff that happened long ago, where the people who did the "offending" are long dead.

3 hours ago, Toast said:

Well, I'm not.  It's part of the history of many countries.  Things that happened, happened. 

Ridiculous that anyone should be "offended" by stuff that happened long ago, where the people who did the "offending" are long dead.

Colonialism is, by its very nature, offensive, just because its (mostly) historic doesn't make it not offensive. See also slavery, see also the holocaust, etc etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, time said:

Colonialism is, by its very nature, offensive, just because its (mostly) historic doesn't make it not offensive. See also slavery, see also the holocaust, etc etc.

I think you and I have different ideas of what "offensive" is.

Plus there's more than enough stuff in the here-and-now that pisses me off, without getting worked up about ancient wrongs.

48 minutes ago, Toast said:

I think you and I have different ideas of what "offensive" is.

Plus there's more than enough stuff in the here-and-now that pisses me off, without getting worked up about ancient wrongs.

"Offensive" is perhaps the wrong word - repulsive maybe.