Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

I would never walk into a dole office...I wouldn't know what sort of diseases I would walk out with...or what had been stolen from me!

What an awful statement to make, your prejudices never cease to amaze me Simon.

I have removed most of my message as it was written in the heat of the moment, in retrospect I should have sent it as a personal message but being new to the board I wasn't really aware of this option, but Simon has read it now so that's the most important thing as it was meant for him.

Cheers

• Like 1

Gosh, I do feel inadequate. I was expelled from school with no qualifications at all. Of course my current CV is a little economical with the truth.

Also, why are you still a guest here? Surely you are brave enough to file your details with the moderators or are you just here to wind us up? I think you are only pulling our legs for a laugh and trying to be controversial.  :o

Simon I is a registered member. But is Guest_Simon I the same person?

:banghead:

Also, why are you still a guest here? Surely you are brave enough to file your details with the moderators or are you just here to wind us up? I think you are only pulling our legs for a laugh and trying to be controversial.  :o

I guest so.

(What is the correct procedure after making a really good joke like that? Does one type Ha Ha, or lol or even LOL? Could this be construed as laughing at one's own joke, generally considered to be bad form. Where does one learn the etiquette?)

I guest so.

(What is the correct procedure after making a really good joke like that? Does one type Ha Ha, or lol or even LOL? Could this be construed as laughing at one's own joke, generally considered to be bad form. Where does one learn the etiquette?)

by posting it and seeing how much sh*t OMJ flings your way. ( LOL )... oops bad form.

It was a generalisation...maybe the regicides weren't all HDQ, although most of those still in Britain (dead or alive) were punished in a particularly gruesome way. I feel that it is nit-picking at its most picky to raise that point.

On the contrary I think it exposes lack of subtly of your thinking

Of course I'm not a descendent of Charles I, although it would be nice. Such a great monarch IMO. He is one of my favourite monarchs of all time, such a pity what happened on Jan 30th 1649!

Not really, his death ended the Civil wars which he continually tried to prolong and thus saved thousands of lives.

Guest Guest_Simon I

Yes Simon I and guest_Simon I are one and the same! Sometimes I am in a rush and just can't be bothered logging in so I become a guest visitor!

The dole office thing was my little joke- of course I'm not THAT prejudice! I'm honestly sorry if I caused any offence to anyone- none intended I assure you.

LOL at the joke. I'd personally put hehe or haha after it- nice and subtle not a great massive laugh out loudly that will make you laugh at your own joke, though I guess it is the moderator who should really give us all a prescribed forum etiquette post!

Simon

Guest Guest_Simon I

P.S.

And Charles I was such a good King- he never started the Civil War it was Parliament. I'm sure you would have wanted to prolong the war if you knew that you'd be getting a little too much off the top if you ended it and lost!

AND- conversely the Civil War would have ended if Cromwell had been caught and captured and executed. I don't argue that the end of the Civil War was good, just a shame that it ended in the death of a Monarch and not a treachorous, warty scumbag and his cronies!

P.P.S. Do you or did you study AQA A-level history by any chance guesty- just that I know one of the optional modules was Oliver Cromwell- Hero or Villain? and your knowledge seems quite keen on the subject. Or are you a history grad/under grad or is it just general knowledge?

S

Yes Simon I and guest_Simon I are one and the same! Sometimes I am in a rush and just can't be bothered logging in so I become a guest visitor!

Simon

Prove it. Sign in.

The dole office thing was my little joke- of course I'm not THAT prejudice! I'm honestly sorry if I caused any offence to anyone- none intended I assure you.

Point taken Simon, I shall endeavour to think before I react in future and therefore not ramble on at length with uninteresting posts.

Not at all. I enjoy people rambling on about uninteresting stuff! AND you may not have noticed, but it is my forte!

Guest One Man Jury
Not at all. I enjoy people rambling on about uninteresting stuff! AND you may not have noticed, but it is my forte!

We all noticed that pal!!!!

P.S.

And Charles I was such a good King- he never started the Civil War it was Parliament. I'm sure you would have wanted to prolong the war if you knew that you'd be getting a little too much off the top if you ended it and lost!

No until Charles Stewart stared the second civil war, most parliamentarians were desperate not to have him executed. Unless of course your circular argument is that "Charles had to do the things that caused Parliament to execute him - otherwise Parliament would have executed him"

AND- conversely the Civil War would have ended if Cromwell had been caught and captured and executed. I don't argue that the end of the Civil War was good, just a shame that it ended in the death of a Monarch and not a treachorous, warty scumbag and his cronies!

Yes but Cromwell would have done away with quickly. Charles was kept under fairly loose arrest initially, and frittered away his chance to compromise with Parliament by trying to do secret deals with Irish/Scots to restart the war.

Charles II had warts - just not on his face.

.P.S. Do you or did you study AQA A-level history by any chance guesty- just that I know one of the optional modules was Oliver Cromwell- Hero or Villain? and your knowledge seems quite keen on the subject. Or are you a history grad/under grad or is it just general knowledge?

S

I had an education that prepared me for life - I was expelled at 15

Signs show that the Queen does actually like Mrs Thatcher...when she retired from the House of Commons she was elevated to the Peerage and, more significantly, she is a Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter- a privellage that is the highest order of chivalry in the land and also one that only Her Majesty can give to 24 members. This suggests that actually the Queen did approve. There was no reason for her to have to elevate Mrs Thatcher in this way and rank her along side people such as Lord Edmund Hillary and the (current) Duke of Wellington.

The appointment of John Major to the Order of the Garter would suggest that it is an honour that all former PMs can expect.

Signs show that the Queen does actually like Mrs Thatcher...when she retired from the House of Commons she was elevated to the Peerage and, more significantly, she is a Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter- a privellage that is the highest order of chivalry in the land and also one that only Her Majesty can give to 24 members. This suggests that actually the Queen did approve. There was no reason for her to have to elevate Mrs Thatcher in this way and rank her along side people such as Lord Edmund Hillary and the (current) Duke of Wellington.

The appointment of John Major to the Order of the Garter would suggest that it is an honour that all former PMs can expect.

:) Thank you LP7 - I had planned to make the very same post myself.

Big Liz, as a constitutional monarch of great experience, would not have been so controversial as to withhold this "honour" from the *(Pig-)Iron Lady.

* Pig iron is raw iron, the immediate product of smelting iron ore with coke and limestone in a blast furnace. Pig iron has a very high carbon content, typically 4-5%, which makes it very brittle and not very useful directly as a material. (Wikipedia) :P

Gosh, I do feel inadequate. I was expelled from school with no qualifications at all. Of course my current CV is a little economical with the truth.

Please don't be sarcastic Mr. Josco, I was merely replying to one of Simons earlier posts and was not trying to 'bum* myself up' as they say here in Scotland.

*bum something up = boastful about one's achievements, to brag e.t.c.

Note: has nothing to do with the the posterior.

Please don't be sarcastic Mr. Josco, I was merely replying to one of Simons earlier posts and was not trying to 'bum* myself up' as they say here in Scotland.

(To be intoned like 'Parker' from Thunderbirds)

"Yes my lady"

Actually, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, I am envious of those that have qualifications and regret learning far too late in life that working at school might pay dividends later. I fear Josco Junior is going the same way. Why won't teenagers ever learn that their elders really do know best sometimes.

'

(To be intoned like 'Parker' from Thunderbirds)

"Yes my lady"

Actually, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, I am envious of those that have qualifications and regret learning far too late in life that working at school might pay dividends later. I fear Josco Junior is going the same way. Why won't teenagers ever learn that their elders really do know best sometimes.

:blink: at the 'my lady' comment, as would most people who know me, the 'lady' in 'Lady Grendel' was only ever meant to indicate a female version of the monster Grendel and by no means was meant to imply airs and graces, it was coined as a joke about 20 years ago by a friend of mine when I was talking on her CB radio and needed a 'handle'. (not because she thought I was a monster or a 'lady' but simply because we both loved the song 'Grendel')

Sorry I misinterpereted your previous reply, it is often better to learn later on in life as I have found out, I left school at 16 with my O'Levels and went out to work. 2 years later I did my Highers at night school but continued working during the day, in my 20's I did my degree at University at night as well as working through the day, the academic life is not for everyone and I doubt I could have done the student thing when I was a teenager. My husband left school with a couple of O'Levels at 16 and worked for the next 14 years, when he was 30 he went into full time education and got his degree 4 years later, as he said he was not ready to learn at 16, but it made a huge difference at 30 when he was willing to learn, so please do not despair at Josco Junior's reluctance to embrace the academic life, he may change his mind as teenagers do and then again he may not, if he doesn't I hope you will do as my parents did and support any decision he makes, I was terrified at 16 to tell my parents I wanted to leave school as everyone expected me to go on and study and follow in my 'brilliant big brother's' footsteps, they were great, totally supported me, believed in me and what more can you ask for?

By going out to work at 16 I think we learned about life and surely that is the most important lesson.

regards

'Lady' G.

I would add my support to Lady Grendel's remarks. There is, after all, more than one way to skin a cat. Imagination and dynamism are more than adequate substitutes for lack of academic eminence or ambition. And it is rarely too late to catch up on what one may feel one has missed earlier in life, if one only has the courage to do so.

I endorse the comments in both of the two antecedent postings.

I refused to go to university from school as I did not like what I saw in those who valued "having a degree." It seemed to bear no relationship to "having an education." So I went my own way and am much the better for it.

(And I take particular delight in starting sentences (and paragraphs) with conjunctions - partly to spite my own pedantic teachers.)

........regret learning far too late in life that working at school might pay dividends later. I fear Josco Junior is going the same way. Why won't teenagers ever learn that their elders really do know best sometimes.

I find the Josco Junior Effect very frustrating, when teaching. I usually blame the parents!! :blink: (I have long regarded parents as one of the greatest potential dangers to society. :blink: )

Josco! Don't waste your time with regrets! :blink:

Captain, perhaps 'regret' is a little strong. As I contemplate reaching a half century in a few months I can look back on a fascinating life so far. I have travelled far and wide and drunk deeply from the well of life. (Drunk deeply in a few too many bars as well.) I fell into computing via telephony with no experience what so ever, but a desire to please and try hard. I thoroughly enjoyed those times, but in the last two years I have settled(?) into a daily commute and routine that is boring me. The usual family and financial commitments have dulled my adventurous spirit somewaht.

As I contemplate reaching a half century in a few months[...]

Don't do that!

Old age is a killer. :blink:

regards,

Hein

I went to University after A-Levels, then got a proper job and studied for a Masters degree and now have settled into middle management - does this make me boring or an exception for this forum?

I went to University after A-Levels, then got a proper job and studied for a Masters degree and now have settled into middle management - does this make me boring or an exception for this forum?

Neither 4 H, your posts are not boring and I am sure you are not the only one to have gone down the academic route after school, totally commendable and it does take all sorts to make this world (and this forum!!), we all do what is right for ourselves.

Whenever I see one of your posts I always think of Terry Pratchetts novels and the '3 horsemen and 1 horsewoman (pedestrian in 'Good Omens') of the A', it makes me smile!, keep up the good work.

Regards

Lady G.

P.S. Which is the favourite - Death, War, Famine or Pestilence, surely you must all argue among yourselves when it comes to posting on this site, although have a sneaky (!!) suspicion Death casts the deciding vote!! But the others may add insider info that gives you unfair advantage over the rest of us.

Whenever I see one of your posts I always think of Terry Pratchetts novels and the '3 horsemen and 1 horsewoman (pedestrian in 'Good Omens') of the A', it makes me smile!, keep up the good work.

In Good Omens (the funniest book I've read in years) Pestilence has retired and his job has been taken by Pollution, a rather nasty type, IMO.

P.S. Which is the favourite - Death, War, Famine or Pestilence, surely you must all argue among yourselves when it comes to posting on this site, although have a sneaky (!!) suspicion Death casts the deciding vote!! But the others may add insider info that gives you unfair advantage over the rest of us.

War, of course, if only because she's a readhead. :lol:

regards,

Hein

• Like 1