Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

As I contemplate reaching a half century in a few months[...]

Don't do that!

Old age is a killer. :lol:

regards,

Hein

Which MH, the contemplation or the reaching?

• Like 1

As I contemplate reaching a half century in a few months[...]

Don't do that!

Old age is a killer. :lol:

regards,

Hein

Which MH, the contemplation or the reaching?

Both, but the reaching is the dangerous part.

regards,

Hein

Whenever I see one of your posts I always think of Terry Pratchetts novels and the '3 horsemen and 1 horsewoman (pedestrian in 'Good Omens') of the A', it makes me smile!, keep up the good work.

In Good Omens (the funniest book I've read in years) Pestilence has retired and his job has been taken by Pollution, a rather nasty type, IMO.

P.S. Which is the favourite - Death, War, Famine or Pestilence, surely you must all argue among yourselves when it comes to posting on this site, although have a sneaky (!!) suspicion Death casts the deciding vote!! But the others may add insider info that gives you unfair advantage over the rest of us.

War, of course, if only because she's a readhead. :lol:

regards,

Hein

I had forgotten about Pollution, I read 'Good Omens' when it first came out a few years ago, must dig it out and read it again.

Buck House has announced that Queen's cancelling 3 engagements next week...

Now this could either mean the reported 'cold' is more serious or she's just avoiding visiting Sandhurst while Harry (Hewitt)-Windsor is doing his training.

Buck House has announced that Queen's cancelling 3 engagements next week...

Now this could either mean the reported 'cold' is more serious or she's just avoiding visiting Sandhurst while Harry (Hewitt)-Windsor is doing his training.

I doubt the Queen will be going anywhere anytime soon.

i'am sure she's got a couple years left within her, besides

look at all the years her mother and aunt Alice stacked up.

Even if there is this "cold" It must be Sandhurst.

Guest Guest

Apparentely the Queen is having to cancel all her engagements because of what is described as a heavy cold.Cant help but think that this is the same reason given for ex soviet leaders and popes for becoming absent just before they suddenly die.The old dear is nearly 80 after all.Am i exaggerating or could we a bout to have one of the biggest deaths of all soon?(bear in mind her dad the ex king died in is 50s)

Apparentely the Queen is having to cancel all her engagements because of what is described as a heavy cold.Cant help  but think that this is the same reason given for ex soviet leaders and popes for becoming absent just before they suddenly die.The old dear is nearly 80 after all.Am i exaggerating or could we a bout to have one of the biggest deaths of all soon?(bear in mind her dad the ex king died in is 50s)

But her Mum lived to nearly 102, despite a hip replacement & choking on a chicken bone.

Hope she hangs around long enough for Rolf to paint her portrait.

Wasn't it a fish bone?

I lived very close to Aberdeen Royal infirmary at the time, where she had it removed.

Wasn't it a fish bone?

I lived very close to Aberdeen Royal infirmary at the time, where she had it removed.

I think you're right.....

On that subject there's a great game called "Queen Mamagotchi" on the Viz website.

http://www.viz.co.uk/?games_viz/games_viz_...&article_type=1

the queen has been about for a few years and is heading to the old and really old side of life and nobody knows how long she has to go but i would give her about 10 years tops

Discussing the death of the Queen is bad manners, disgusting, treason, rude, crude, lewd and shows really bad taste - well done! 10 years, nah - at least 15 just to annoy Chuck and Cammers.

Guest windsor

The Queen will live for long enough - she will soon be (in my opinion) our new Queen Mother. I believe there is a small chance that she may abdicate on her 80th next year. Hence the reason for a quick marriage between Charles and Camilla this year - it avoids constitutional dilemas. People say that she would never abdicate so at the very least I'm expecting a regency under Charles.

Did anyone hear that Charles intends to assume the title George VII in honour of his Grandfather when/if he succeeds?

People say that she would never abdicate so at the very least I'm expecting a regency under Charles.

As I understand it UK kings and queens, like all good cowboys, prefer to die with their boots on. Does anyone know exactly why that is? One would think their pension plans are not bad and I think the UK could do with a monarch who can walk and talk.

Did anyone hear that Charles intends to assume the title George VII in honour of his Grandfather when/if he succeeds?

For what it's worth, this article on Charles claims that:

Charles has indicated in the past that when he does ascend to the throne, he will become, in a gesture to his late grandfather, King George VII, rather than King Charles III.

Of course, if the incumbent sticks to the job till she drops, that may never happen.

regards,

Hein

I reckon Her Maj will keep going until she keels over. Not sure when that'll be, but if the Queen and Prince Philip have both kicked the bucket in another five years I won't be surprised. Remember, the Queen Mum may have lived to 102 but all she had to do for the last fifty years of her life was pickle herself in gin and read the Racing Post - no state visits to Vanuatu/Nigeria/Peru or tedious receptions for the President of Botswana/Kazakhstan/the Solomon Islands for the old gal.

Yes, she said some time ago that she would never abdicate. I'm sure that at the time it was to end speculation that she might, but she will feel now that she has to stick to that. If she goes on as long as her mother I reckon she will come to envy the comfortable retirement (when it comes) of Queen Beatrice across the water.

Couldn't be bothered logging in for just one post...

In response to Lady Grendel....

The monarchy deserves to be kept in the lifestyle to which it is for numerous reasons. Perhaps the most important is the fact that they are appointed by God and are answerable only to God (even moreso than the Pope in my opinion...and that's from a Catholic!)

Also, it is part of tradition and history. This is a trait which I feel that Britons have by the bucketload. We are a great nation and should be proud of who we are. We can still develop to become a multi-cultural, diverse and cosmopoliton country; however I believe that keeping a grip on our national identity is extremely important.

The monarchy is a respected institution. Her Majesty the Queen is one of the most revered women in the modern world. She has developed from the Empire's "dear little princess Elizabeth" to quote a popular 1930/40s song to become a wise, dignified and beloved old lady who continues to tirelessly serve her country.

An example of the royal family being cost-effective...Princess Anne- who wore to the wedding of the Prince and Princess of Wales a suit that she has worn previously. This is no different to the rest of her mother's subjects who re-use items of clothing for special occasions. Sadly, I came across this fact whilst perusing the Daily Express newspaper in which she was criticised for re-using suits. It appears that she cannot win. If she'd spent money on an extravagent new outfit she would have also been criticised.

Never was the nation's selfishness more apparent than after the 1992 Windsor fire. The nation flatly refused to pay for the damage caused to an old lady's home even though she couldn't afford it herself. I wonder if any of your mothers/grandparents' houses burnt down whether you would be okay if any financial help was given?

Re. the comment about the national anthem...of course it's okay!!! We can't go around holding grudges forever. Perhaps as a Scottish woman you would rather it had been left in and still sung proudly by the English, which is of course the alternative? We must learn to "bury the hatchet" as they say...I mean imagine if the Entente Cordiale had never been signed, we'd still hate the French. It's as silly as saying that we should hate the Germans- I mean the Nazis aren't in power any more, but they were in charge just sixty years ago!

In response to Captain Oates.....

Yes I realise how old Sir Edmund Hillary is- really quite sad actually, such a great man. As for the Duke of Wellington; don't know much about him but I was just showing how elite the KG's are. The fact that Baroness Thatcher was elevated to the same level as the descendent of the Iron Duke on the Queen's own invitation should highlight the fact that the Queen was not altogether against her.

The Conservatives are the only right choice for Britain- I for one am sick to death with higher taxes and lies of the Labour govt. and the Tories are the only credible opposition. The Lib Dems are wrong in their policies. I heard with dread last Wednesday about the proposals for the Local Income Tax. It was shown on the BBC that even though a family earning about £20,000 a year would be £400 better off p/a. A family earning £200,000 a year would end up being over £6000 WORSE off! I ask you credibly how that can possibly be fair- answer it CANNOT. Sadly, no system of taxing will ever be seen as "fair" by all. I though am of the opinion that everyone should be taxed equally regardless of income, maybe raise indirect, rather than direct taxes (as done by Mrs T!) which would mean everyone's taxes were raised the same.

Again though I agree that people have different political views which is the great thing about democracy- there is no law against this. However the Treason Act 1351 says that it is a crime (then and still until 1998) punishable by death to act in any way against the monarch. And being a strong believer in upholding the law I believe that this particular law should be enforced much more vigorously.

Simon

P.S. Yes Cromwell was originally buried in Westminster Abbey, however on the return of the Merry Monarch King Charles II he was exhumed, hung drawn and quartered and his body thrown into a ditch. His head was kept and is currently in some university. The rest of the regicides of King Charles I were also executed by being HDQ. The just punishment for the most heinous criminal offence in all of British history.

P.P.S. Of course one of my A-levels was history!

P.P.P.S. Not big headed just lashing out when attacked!

P.P.P.P.S. Hmmm death list 2006- interesting. I'll have to have a think about that. Patrick Moore perhaps.

S.

Oh my God - this may well explain why so many deathlisters are Republican.

What a div Simon is.

Banshees, the way you posted that, it looks as though you wrote all that crap yourself. I was about to give you a sound and well-deserved flaming.

And no, I couldn't be bothered to read more than half of it either. If I'd known it was from Simon and not from you, I wouldn't even have started reading it.

The Queen couldn't afford to pay to have Windsor Castle rebuilt?!

I mean to say!

Banshees, the way you posted that, it looks as though you wrote all that crap yourself. I was about to give you a sound and well-deserved flaming.

Well Notapotato something went wrong as i was

trying to edit what i had posted. I must have

accidentally deleted one of the symobols that

activates you to quote another post. ;)

Well Notapotato something went wrong as i was

trying to edit what i had posted. I must have

accidentally deleted one of the symobols that

activates you to quote another post. ;)

I'm sure one of the nice admins could get it back for you.

If only we had a nice admin.

And no, I couldn't be bothered to read more than half of it either. If I'd known it was from Simon and not from you, I wouldn't even have started reading it.

I recall doing that at the time; Simon I (modest isn't he?) hasn't to my knowldege posted in ages.

I almost miss having the guy to slap around.

Yet another DeathLister missing in action. ;)

I almost miss having the guy to slap around.

Yet another DeathLister missing in action. ;)

D'ya think they're better off dead than read?

The Queen has been named as an enemy of Islam - no doubt this will inspire some weak minded fool to try and blow Her up.

Stick HRH in a berka, surround her with twenty bodyguards dressed the same and the suicide bombers will be baffled into incompetence.

I wonder if any Halibut leaders will speak out against this nonsense. I don't suppose these idiots care what people in the West think about their homicidal ravings, but I assume some of them do care what their own religious leaders think.

Mind you, if their religious leaders are like Pat Robertson... :(

• Like 1