Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

Some old people find it easier to go down stairs backwards. I can remember some of my aged rellies doing this when I was a kid. Something to do with balance, perhaps.

• Like 1

As this columnist notes, the old girl can still walk downstairs BACKWARDS at 89 without any aid. When she can no longer do that, we'll know she's starting to go downhill: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/queen-elizabeth-II/11844552/The-Queen-is-a-still-point-in-a-tumultuous-world.html

What the columnist doesn't say is whether or not that was the intention.

Some old people find it easier to go down stairs backwards. I can remember some of my aged rellies doing this when I was a kid. Something to do with balance, perhaps.

This is happens to have nothing to do with the queen but does anybody else find it easier to skip out two or three steps when using standard staircases because of their height and slightly larger than average feet? I'm between 6'1 and 6'3 and have size 12 feet and find this is usually the case. I'm wondering if that's the reason or it's do with the speed I walk at (about double normal walking speed?)

• Like 1

This is happens to have nothing to do with the queen but does anybody else find it easier to skip out two or three steps when using standard staircases because of their height and slightly larger than average feet? I'm between 6'1 and 6'3 and have size 12 feet and find this is usually the case. I'm wondering if that's the reason or it's do with the speed I walk at (about double normal walking speed?)

Yes.

Id venture it had more to do with falling into the stairs than falling down the stairs.

• Like 1

Yes.

Yes. I found the other Skippy the clown.

• Like 1

Id venture it had more to do with falling into the stairs than falling down the stairs.

Same thing, really.

Same thing, really.

Smartarse. :)

Puff piece reaffirms what we already know:

Inevitably, people wonder just how she would cope if she lost Philip, who will be 95 in June.

Says her cousin and lifelong friend Margaret Rhodes: ‘I don’t know how much she would do a Queen Victoria and sit in the background while she was getting over it. She would never consider stepping down.

‘I remember someone once repeating my words, saying that she wasn’t going to abdicate. When I next saw the Queen, she said to me: “You should have said, ‘She would want to go on being Queen unless she had Alzheimer’s or suffered a stroke.’ ” ’

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3496210/The-Queen-mischief-wicked-talent-impressions-calls-Miss-Piggy-Majesty-loves-titled-lady-starts-swearing.html

By the way, any idea who the titled lady with Tourette's mentioned in the article might be? :D:evil2:

Puff piece reaffirms what we already know:

Inevitably, people wonder just how she would cope if she lost Philip, who will be 95 in June.

Says her cousin and lifelong friend Margaret Rhodes: ‘I don’t know how much she would do a Queen Victoria and sit in the background while she was getting over it. She would never consider stepping down.

‘I remember someone once repeating my words, saying that she wasn’t going to abdicate. When I next saw the Queen, she said to me: “You should have said, ‘She would want to go on being Queen unless she had Alzheimer’s or suffered a stroke.’ ” ’

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3496210/The-Queen-mischief-wicked-talent-impressions-calls-Miss-Piggy-Majesty-loves-titled-lady-starts-swearing.html

By the way, any idea who the titled lady with Tourette's mentioned in the article might be? :D:evil2:

She might not step back during mourning Philip but I think it would be a huge psychological blow. She's relied on him for 60 years and she's still a 90 year old woman in a highly public and difficult job (whatever privilege republicans might say she gets, she still has to go up and down the country performing public acts and still has to read a box of papers from her government every day - something people seem to forget).

I think losing Philip would hasten her own decline immeasurably. I'm not saying she'd be dead within a year, but I could see her suffering a more steady decline in the years after. Say he went this year, I'd be greatly surprised if she saw 2020. If he (somehow) gets to 100, then I think she'll still be in pretty decent health all things being equal.

As for the titled lady, I'd imagine it's one of her inner circle. Personally, given some of his outbursts, it would have been less of a surprise if it had been Philip.

• Like 1

I think losing Philip would hasten her own decline immeasurably. I'm not saying she'd be dead within a year, but I could see her suffering a more steady decline in the years after. Say he went this year, I'd be greatly surprised if she saw 2020. If he (somehow) gets to 100, then I think she'll still be in pretty decent health all things being equal.

That makes me wonder: would the Greek follow her in the grave soon, should she die first? I suppose she won't, but she might, say, get run over by a bus.

That makes me wonder: would the Greek follow her in the grave soon, should she die first? I suppose she won't, but she might, say, get run over by a bus.

Or would he marry again?

• Like 2

Or would he marry again?

He'd suddenly become energetic and healthy and re-marry twice before dying at the ripe old age of 117.

• Like 1

I just saw the propaganda celebration clip for the Queen's 90th birthday on the news. In one segment, she is riding a horse around. At 90. She isn't going anywhere for quite a while yet.

I just saw the propaganda celebration clip for the Queen's 90th birthday on the news. In one segment, she is riding a horse around. At 90. She isn't going anywhere for quite a while yet.

At least you only saw it on the news, we got a two-hour long TV programme my mum insisted on watching. The Queen is not going anywhere.

• Like 1

Turns out Camilla is as amazed as I am: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/femail/video-1277563/It-s-incredible-Camilla-Queen-horse-riding-90.html

Guest Peter

There's no way that she's going to die before she reaches at least, I'd say, 95. That is unless Prince Philip dies before that (which I can't see happening; he'll probably live to 100).

There's no way that she's going to die before she reaches at least, I'd say, 95. That is unless Prince Philip dies before that (which I can't see happening; he'll probably live to 100).

I basically agree with what you are saying with the caveat that, at her age, all it would take would be for her to fall and break her hip for the whole situation to change dramatically overnight.

As I have said many times before, I am in the camp that believes she'll go shortly after Phil, whenever that may be. 100 seems a long shot but he has kept on surprising us down the years and seems in good form just now. I think the DL Committee should definitely keep him on the list though as he is such an iconic figure he is what the DL is all about.

• Like 1

I basically agree with what you are saying with the caveat that, at her age, all it would take would be for her to fall and break her hip for the whole situation to change dramatically overnight.

As I have said many times before, I am in the camp that believes she'll go shortly after Phil, whenever that may be. 100 seems a long shot but he has kept on surprising us down the years and seems in good form just now. I think the DL Committee should definitely keep him on the list though as he is such an iconic figure he is what the DL is all about.

Really, in terms of people they don't want to miss, Libby should be going on the Deathlist from next year herself. Perhaps some of the evergreens near the top of the list will kick the bucket to give her a spot.

• Like 1

Really, in terms of people they don't want to miss, Libby should be going on the Deathlist from next year herself. Perhaps some of the evergreens near the top of the list will kick the bucket to give her a spot.

Yes and ex-Pope Benedict should return to the list soon, too.
  • Like 1

Oh, I wouldn't say that. My grandmother fell and broke her hip when she was nearly 90, but recovered quickly and went on to make her century. She didn't even die of anything in particular, but she had achieved her lifetime's ambition of living to 100 so I think she just gave up after that.

Really, in terms of people they don't want to miss, Libby should be going on the Deathlist from next year herself.

Lilibet.

Oh, I wouldn't say that. My grandmother fell and broke her hip when she was nearly 90, but recovered quickly and went on to make her century. She didn't even die of anything in particular, but she had achieved her lifetime's ambition of living to 100 so I think she just gave up after that.

Honestly, I think your gran might have been a lucky one as I have known a few elderly people - and heard anecdotes about others - who have gone downhill rapidly after breaking a hip and been dead within months. For some reason, that kind of fracture can take sometimes have a major impact on the general health of an elderly person. Don't know why.