Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

12 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Good point. I'd say the Queens elderly and favourite cousin 83 year old Princess Alexandra also deserves her own thread. 

You sure about that, or is it sarcasm?

15 minutes ago, Toast said:

You sure about that, or is it sarcasm?

It is not sarcasm.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1291496/Princess-Alexandra-who-is-princess-alexandra-queen-elizabeth-ii-best-friend

Tallies with what I have read in parts of numerous royal biographies. 

Basically in a nutshell the Queen and Princess Alexandra are very close .

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I am genuinely shocked and do not know what to think!!

This has been common knowledge for years.  That's why I thought you were being sarcastic.

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

This has been common knowledge for years.  That's why I thought you were being sarcastic.

I had heard  a rumour that Prince Philip fancied Princess Alexandra and that looks wise she was just his type but I never knew temptation had been given in to :o

If it was just Lady Colin Campbell claiming it I would be sceptical but its clearly not just her.

The parts of royal biographies I have read  did not allude to this at all.

Perhaps some journalists have a devilish pi** taking sense of humour when they say The Queen and Princess Alexandra are close!:o

The other reason it shocked me is I have read in numerous magazine and newspaper articles that Princess Alexandra is very popular and loved within the wider royal family and is a favourite within the family. Perhaps that is journalists being devilish too ...:lol:

Princess Alexandra's face will be one to try and spot on the day of Prince Philips funeral!!

Thank you for the link.

I'm shocked but enlightened. 

• Like 2

Also I think the Queen is more a forgiver by nature.

She never really  held strong personal grudges against  Princess Diana and Sarah Ferguson especially like some other members of the royal family did and still do in relation to Sarah Ferguson eg Prince Philip!

I'm not saying they never angered her or had strong disagreements but the personal grudge aspect and long running enmity and hostility  was not really present. Her unwillingness to be super harsh on the Duchess of York certainly displeased other members of  the royal family. 

I suspect she has forgiven Princess Alexandra but that does not translate into them being close.

29 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I had heard  a rumour that Prince Philip fancied Princess Alexandra and that looks wise she was just his type but I never knew temptation had been given in to :o

If it was just Lady Colin Campbell claiming it I would be sceptical but its clearly not just her.

The parts of royal biographies I have read  did not allude to this at all.

Perhaps some journalists have a devilish pi** taking sense of humour when they say The Queen and Princess Alexandra are close!:o

The other reason it shocked me is I have read in numerous magazine and newspaper articles that Princess Alexandra is very popular and loved within the wider royal family and is a favourite within the family. Perhaps that is journalists being devilish too ...:lol:

Princess Alexandra's face will be one to try and spot on the day of Prince Philips funeral!!

Thank you for the link.

I'm shocked but enlightened. 

Nothing on royal foibles is true.... it's a fanfic site for royal fantasists..... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Nothing on royal foibles is true.... it's a fanfic site for royal fantasists..... 

The latter statement may be true,  I've never visited the site before as far as I recall.  It was just one that came up among a host of other search results.

As for the former, I wouldn't dismiss everything on there.  As I said, the matter under discussion has been known for years.

32 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Interesting place to go in the middle of a pandemic. But they probably have lots of masks and disinfectant to hand. They need them because of all the  leaking vials of small pox and bubonic plague in their biological warfare department. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

22 minutes ago, markb4 said:

"Royal Expert" claims Queen will step down next year when she turns 95 and hand the kingdom to Charles:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/queen-will-step-down-next-22930246

Has been claimed and denied before of course we won’t know until she reaches 95 next year but I don’t think she will step down she will be Queen until she dies in my opinion will have more and more of her responsibilities taken of her as the years go by and will be Queen in name only but will still be Queen. I wouldn’t be surprised if she lasted until she was about 105 or 106 years old to be honest. 

• Like 3

What Fergie said (and they should know!). It may happen but I doubt it, it's been suggested many times before without foundation. When she was 21, she spoke to the Commonwealth and declared that her whole life, whether long or short would be in service. I've heard it said many times before that she takes that vow as seriously now as she did 70+ years ago and it's the reason she won't abdicate. I don't think she'll do it before Philip dies, after which she may (or may not) wish to withdraw in her final years. She's clearly still in fine fettle for nearly 95 - able to walk unaided and still got all her faculties, there's no physical reason to step down if she doesn't want to. Charles will get a go, but may not get the role til he's nearly 80 - but if he lives as long as his mum that could give him 20 years on the throne.

If he chose to go that way. He's a relatively forward-thinking man, I could see him abdicating for William after maybe a decade, but equally, after being groomed for the role for 70 years I'd want to wring every last second out of it. It wouldn't be a particularly stupid or unexpected tradition to get into though: the Dutch have been doing it for going on a century without the country falling apart, the Belgians and Spanish have done it more recently (due to scandals), even the Japanese Emperor managed to get the constitution changed to allow it, and, of course, we have the first abdicated Pope in history still alive.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Charles will get a go, but may not get the role til he's nearly 80 - but if he lives as long as his mum that could give him 20 years on the throne.

I'll eat my hat if sausage fingers manages that!

• Like 1

Royal experts have usually been wrong.

I'm betting Phil, Elizabeth, Camilla and Charles will go during the next ten years. First two within five, Camilla not long after if not even before.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

With an extra Bank Holiday having been announced for her 70th year on the throne in 2022, it doesn't look like 'Authority' thinks she is going anytime soon.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, torbrexbones said:

With an extra Bank Holiday having been announced for her 70th year on the throne in 2022, it doesn't look like 'Authority' thinks she is going anytime soon.

Saw the story and thought the same. Obviously they start planning these things plenty ahead of time, but there's no need to make it public 18 months early unless they're fairly certain she'll make it. Also seems to scotch the rumour that she's going to abdicate on her 95th birthday next year. Wonder if they expect Phillip to make it?

8 hours ago, torbrexbones said:

Does anyone seriously think Her Maj will die in the next 10 years? :rolleyes:

They will need to plan it now so that it will feature in all the 2022 calendars which will go to print early in 2021.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

They will need to plan it now so that it will feature in all the 2022 calendars which will go to print early in 2021.

Which they didn't do with this year's change of the May Bank Holiday to a Friday to commemorate VE-Day.

• Like 1