Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

20 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Nicely timed release.

The nationalists on the outskirts of my family tree were telling folk that Prince Charles was doing the speech this year.

He was going it, they said, because the Queen was already dead and the government were trying to cover up that fact to prevent gatherings of grief stricken subjects.

She is looking remarkably well for a dead woman in that picture, although I’m sure they will now be convinced it’s CGI.

Stupid nationalist fucks.

You're not related to The Old Crem are you?! :o

• Haha 1

When are we going to start an abdication sweep stake?

I’ve always thought that her comments on the matter have perhaps been taken too literally. One could argue that she has already served her whole life.

Abdicating at 95 after a 70 year reign is also a whole different kettle of fish to abdicating after 11 months for some tart…

• Like 3

If it were to happen it would be after June next year.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ladyfiona said:

Will almost certainly start to see less and less of her from next June, after the Jubilee I think she will reduce her public appearances significantly, don’t think she will ever abdicate as she isn’t the type but Charles, William and rest of Royal family will take on more responsibility. The Queen is 96 next year and that will be the same age as Prince Phillip was when he retired from Public appearances, after 70 years on throne makes sense she slows down a bit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Windsor said:

I’ve always thought that her comments on the matter have perhaps been taken too literally. One could argue that she has already served her whole life.

Abdicating at 95 after a 70 year reign is also a whole different kettle of fish to abdicating after 11 months for some tart…

If she reaches age 98 but doesnt beat the Reign duration record of French King Louis the ca. 10-15th, then I'll eat my chair

9 minutes ago, roaming_comrade said:

If she reaches age 98 but doesnt beat the Reign duration record of French King Louis the ca. 10-15th, then I'll eat my chair

Louis XIV iirc

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Windsor said:

I had started a similar topic here

I think she'll abdicate the day after reaching her ton, if she lives that long.

There's really no point in abdication at this stage.  If she had wanted to do it in order to let Charles succeed at a younger age, she would have done it years ago. 

• Like 7

On 25/12/2021 at 14:33, Windsor said:

She said "whole life" and meant it. The trauma of the abdication crisis and subsequent burden put on her father (which the Queen Mother partly blamed for his early death) set her implacably against the idea. She is also a devout Christian and would not countenance breaking her vow or coronation oath.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, dodrade said:

She said "whole life" and meant it. The trauma of the abdication crisis and subsequent burden put on her father (which the Queen Mother partly blamed for his early death) set her implacably against the idea. She is also a devout Christian and would not countenance breaking her vow or coronation oath.

There would be no trauma in a 95 year old retiring. When she made that vow she probably thought 85 would be a good innings. It is literally impossible for her abdication to cause her successor an early death, given he has been drawing his pension for near on a decade. 

As a devout Christian she may take the view that God may release her from her vow without killing her off. If the good lord makes it impossible for her to do the job without necessarily killing her, she may see that as a sign. 

Even the Duke of Edinburgh retired, and he similarly promised to serve the Queen for his whole life before God.

I do think there is a case for her to step down at some point post-jubilee, not just due to her advancing age, but also to help the transition. I'm increasingly suspecting that the post-Elizabethan period is going to be difficult for The Firm, what with Andrew's alleged misdemeanours and the Harry and Meghan fallout (which directly relates to Charles as his father). Having Charles take over before the Queen's death means she is still around to play a role and usher in the new era - she's still a hugely popular member of the family and arguably keeping the show on the road at the moment. But I don't think it's a given she abdicates, particularly if she remains sharp and mobile. Guess we'll wait and see.

59 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

I do think there is a case for her to step down at some point post-jubilee, not just due to her advancing age, but also to help the transition. I'm increasingly suspecting that the post-Elizabethan period is going to be difficult for The Firm, what with Andrew's alleged misdemeanours and the Harry and Meghan fallout (which directly relates to Charles as his father). Having Charles take over before the Queen's death means she is still around to play a role and usher in the new era - she's still a hugely popular member of the family and arguably keeping the show on the road at the moment. But I don't think it's a given she abdicates, particularly if she remains sharp and mobile. Guess we'll wait and see.

By all accounts Charles thinks Andrew is a cock. I’d bet he’d be willing to throw him under a bus with the whole Epstein thing, something his mother won’t do, to her detriment. 

If she doesn’t abdicate she should at least do the decent thing and instruct Parliament to enact the regency act. 

2 minutes ago, Windsor said:

By all accounts Charles thinks Andrew is a cock. I’d bet he’d be willing to throw him under a bus with the whole Epstein thing, something his mother won’t do, to her detriment. 

If she doesn’t abdicate she should at least do the decent thing and instruct Parliament to enact the regency act. 

I think the regency act is only needed if she is no longer mentally capable of the few legal duties she has. 

• Thanks 1

Just finally watched the message in full and to me she looks notably thinner and aged compared to the clips from the G20 summit in June. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Just finally watched the message in full and to me she looks notably thinner and aged compared to the clips from the G20 summit in June. 

Yeah, well, Stage IV terminal cancer tends to have that effect doesn't it? :facepalm:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

She is thinner because she is grieving for Philip. When people are married that long, it's very common for the surviving spouse to go downhill- keep an eye on anniversaries, such as the anniversary of Philip's death, or his birthday, or even the death of George VI-  those are times when surviving spouses often die.  She is a tough lady though, and still as sharp as a tack- she could be in there for some time to come, maybe years- but she is on my list for next year- it will be a very sad day when she dies though

• Like 1

On 25/12/2021 at 16:35, ladyfiona said:

After we get that extra bank holiday if possible

Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mother at ~95 years and 8 months

The Queen Mother at Sandown, London. 26 March 1996

the-queen-mother-at-sandown-london-26th-

The Queen's Christmas Message 2021 

skynews-queen-queen-christmas-message_56

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Donald said:

Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mother at ~95 years and 8 months

The Queen Mother at Sandown, London. 26 March 1996

the-queen-mother-at-sandown-london-26th-

The Queen's Christmas Message 2021 

skynews-queen-queen-christmas-message_56

Babes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

one to put on for 2022- disappeared alot from  public, looks like cgi on her christmas message. Seems like something is being hidden.

Damn it, I'm going to put her on my list now after saying I wasn't going to just 5 minutes ago.  She does look noticeably thinner, I have to agree.  Damn.  I've long admired the Queen.  Long may she reign!  

I don’t think she looks that frail honestly. She looks thinner than other years maybe but honestly she looks quite healthy for a soon-to-be-96-yo-woman ! The only thing I would say is she’s seems a tad tired but nothing to worry about imo