Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

3 hours ago, Windsor said:

She might abdicate.

She is a religious woman. She believes she reigns by the Grace of God. God is making it increasingly difficult for her to do her job, don’t you think? Maybe he’s telling her it’s time to give it up without killing her off.

Regarding the wheelchair thing, I did read that she is apparently still riled at the pictures of Princess Margaret when she was wheeled out by Backstairs Billy for the QM 101 birthday in 2001. It was an invasion of privacy and made her look week. Could be the usual shite put about because Royal commentators don’t actually know anything about what the Royal Family actually think or feel.

Margaret was seen in public in a wheelchair on Multiple occasions (including events such as the Chelsea Flower show) so I think she consented to being seen. 

14 hours ago, Toast said:

Surely regency is only for situations where the monarch is mentally unfit or immature.  As long as the Queen's got all her marbles there's no need for it.  Most of the physical duties (eg ribbon cutting, medal presenting etc) have already been shared out or delegated.

Still got her "marbles" you reckon. What do you think about  Sir Gavin Williamson then?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Redrumours said:

Still got her "marbles" you reckon. What do you think about  Sir Gavin Williamson then?

Would be marvellous if she had a slight slip in her motor skills while knighting him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TQR said:

Would be marvellous if she had a slight slip in her motor skills while knighting him.

On live telly. Result.

• Like 2

On 23/03/2022 at 23:29, Doc said:

Jamaica is removing her as Queen. Don’t know what it has to do with her health but maybe it will stress her out a little lol.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/mar/23/jamaicas-pm-tells-kate-and-william-his-country-is-moving-on

Some of the gaffes on that trip certainly didn't help, like waving at children through a wire fence and riding an open top Land Rover in a similar way to the Queen and DoE, both unpleasant colonial reminders. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brad252 said:

Some of the gaffes on that trip certainly didn't help, like waving at children through a wire fence and riding an open top Land Rover in a similar way to the Queen and DoE, both unpleasant colonial reminders. 

The country didn't decide to break ties based on a photo.

3 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

The country didn't decide to break ties based on a photo.

Well, worth noting it hasn't yet. The Prime Minister announced intention to move forward on it, and public sentiment for ending their place in the Commonwealth has shot up of late, but that's all so far.

(Note the biggest issue there is the Windrush debacle, which was the government. There is no start to their talents...)

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, msc said:

Well, worth noting it hasn't yet. The Prime Minister announced intention to move forward on it, and public sentiment for ending their place in the Commonwealth has shot up of late, but that's all so far.

(Note the biggest issue there is the Windrush debacle, which was the government. There is no start to their talents...)

Not sure if you've misunderstood, I was more saying that the Jamaican PM saying they want to "move on" has zero to do with the photo op. If they choose to pursue a separate path, then that is for bigger reasons than an awkwardly framed picture. As you say, treating them with utter contempt and criminalising them after 60 years of living here is probably a bigger sore spot. I suspect they're laying the groundwork for breaking ties when the Queen dies, but Barbados didn't wait, so...

10 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Not sure if you've misunderstood, I was more saying that the Jamaican PM saying they want to "move on" has zero to do with the photo op. If they choose to pursue a separate path, then that is for bigger reasons than an awkwardly framed picture. As you say, treating them with utter contempt and criminalising them after 60 years of living here is probably a bigger sore spot. I suspect they're laying the groundwork for breaking ties when the Queen dies, but Barbados didn't wait, so...

No, it's more a case of quoting the wrong person! But yes, we're in agreement  about that - but in general, this government (in the UK) has incompetently pointed out many flaws in the Commonwealth as it currently stands, and if one wants it to survive, there needs to be serious reform. 

• Like 2

On 25/03/2022 at 13:21, Brad252 said:

On the bright side, had it not been for slavery and colonialism they would still be living in some of the shitty bits of Africa.

So these descendants of slaves haven’t done too badly out of the whole Empire thing… 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Facepalm 5

On 25/03/2022 at 14:12, RoverAndOut said:

Many government officials have said that they want to become a republic on the 60th anniversary of becoming a country which would be this year. 

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Many government officials have said that they want to become a republic on the 60th anniversary of becoming a country which would be this year. 

That would be very quick. It took Barbados a couple of years from announcement to it happening.

On 26/03/2022 at 20:26, Windsor said:

On the bright side, had it not been for slavery and colonialism they would still be living in some of the shitty bits of Africa.

So these descendants of slaves haven’t done too badly out of the whole Empire thing… 

I'm not really paying much attention to things here these days, but did that post by Windsor just garner the widest range of reacts ever seen on Deathlist? 

It even had to start a new line for the three facepalms.

• Like 3

On 27/03/2022 at 07:26, Windsor said:

They are now living in some of the shitty parts of the Carribbean - the Tivoli area of Kingston for example

9 hours ago, Boudicca said:

I'm not really paying much attention to things here these days, but did that post by Windsor just garner the widest range of reacts ever seen on Deathlist? 

I was actually about to post the same thing until I saw you beat me to it. If one person gives a sad reaction there'll be at least one of everything. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Boudicca said:

Quite interesting looking at the reactions.

Most of the UK-based members seem to have clocked that it was dark humour... others not so much.

• Haha 1

Does anyone know why they keep using this annoying phrase "her strength and stay" about Prince Philip? I mean it sounds very deep but without meaning anything. Is it meant as a kind of "Wind beneath my wings" Bette Midler kind of thing, or is it just because it sounds a bit aristocratic and they couldn't think of anything more normal to say, such as "love of her life" or "her rock" or similar.

4 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Does anyone know why they keep using this annoying phrase "her strength and stay" about Prince Philip? I mean it sounds very deep but without meaning anything. Is it meant as a kind of "Wind beneath my wings" Bette Midler kind of thing, or is it just because it sounds a bit aristocratic and they couldn't think of anything more normal to say, such as "love of her life" or "her rock" or similar.

It's a phrase from a hymn.  The Queen used it in a speech once, so they are quoting her.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

She is going to attend the memorial service.  

Amazing.

Watching Memorial waiting to see how Queen looks but always annoy me do programmes like this as they make out Royal’s (Phillip this time) are saints they couldn’t get further up their arses if they tried. 

• Haha 1