Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

On 14/11/2022 at 21:56, Talkative Finn said:

There is also a chance that she kept a long list of possible candidates in case of older holders of the Order of Merit suddenly kicking the bucket.

so she was running her own death list.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Dead Wait said:

A Daily Mail journalist told me last year that the Queen was suffering from bone cancer, and I came pretty close to posting it on here.

I then spoke to a few people who knew her personal physician, and several former butlers and aides etc. They all brushed it off as nonsense, so I thought it was just a baseless rumour.

Ah well.

• Like 5

Looks like Lady Colin Campbell was right all along.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 19/11/2022 at 21:41, Toast said:

Unconfirmed rumour.

Personally, as I live in Wessex, I would prefer to see Edward's title elevated to Duke of Wessex.  Why should Wessex be inferior to Sussex?

Then make Fergie the Duchess of Essex. And Andrew the Duke of Nosexanymore.

• Like 1

On 25/11/2022 at 19:54, Sean said:

Looks like Lady Colin Campbell was right all along.

Unless it was him who told Gyles?

On 25/11/2022 at 19:33, Ulitzer95 said:

A Daily Mail journalist told me last year that the Queen was suffering from bone cancer, and I came pretty close to posting it on here.

I then spoke to a few people who knew her personal physician, and several former butlers and aides etc. They all brushed it off as nonsense, so I thought it was just a baseless rumour.

Ah well.

Bone cancer and Balmoral aren't a good combi - surely there was a danger a sudden Scots gale would snap her in half in those final days.

4 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Bone cancer and Balmoral aren't a good combi - surely there was a danger a sudden Scots gale would snap her in half in those final days.

She was also well enough to be contemplating attending the Braemar Games prior to BoJo and Liz tiring her out.

If she was on the way out with cancer its unlikely there would have been any suggestion of her attending the games, unless they were trying to flog some tickets ofcourse.

• Like 2

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

The Queen was diagnosed with bone cancer in October 2021 I’ve been told today by a former Cabinet Sec.

• Like 6
  • Sad 4

55 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The Queen was diagnosed with bone cancer in October 2021 I’ve been told today by a former Cabinet Sec.

Ties in with when she had that overnight stay I believe.

• Like 1

Supposedly there were genuine fears that she wouldn’t see the Platinum Jubilee but she was absolutely determined to make it and to make appearances.

Come August the other Royals were surprised at how lucid she still was and hence they expected that she may go on, perhaps seeing it past her 97th, but in the course of just a few weeks she rapidly declined. She was asked on several occasions if she wanted to return to Windsor but she stated that she wanted to go in Balmoral.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Supposedly there were genuine fears that she wouldn’t see the Platinum Jubilee but she was absolutely determined to make it and to make appearances.

Come August the other Royals were surprised at how lucid she still was and hence they expected that she may go on, perhaps seeing it past her 97th, but in the course of just a few weeks she rapidly declined. She was asked on several occasions if she wanted to return to Windsor but she stated that she wanted to go in Balmoral.

In course of a couple days even.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I was told around the Jubilee by a friend that she had bone cancer. I didn’t think much of it. These rumours are usually bollocks.

Apparently someone working in one of the royal houses told a close family member. 

Makes sense now.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

There has been suggestion that when she knew she was rapidly failing, and in Scotland, she wanted to stay so Operation Unicorn would be enacted with all the pomp that Scotland never sees. It made monarchy, however briefly, seem more relevant to Scotland and perhaps even more Scottish. One last gift for the Scottish Nationalists. ;)

I think she may well be the first monarch...possibly ever...to have the Crown of Scotland resting on her coffin. Certainly the last since James V in 1542, or possibly his father. I was certainly surprised when I learned the ancient Crown of Scotland would be used as part of Unicorn.

• Like 6

Just saw a glimpse of the Queen's last Christmas message last year and noticed again how frail she looked. Especially so as her dress was clearly too big for her, hanging loosely around her. I remember having wondered at the time  why they didn't just use the usual trick of the fashion photo shoots (tightening the dress from the backside with clothespins) if that dress really was the only possible one to be used. But now I wonder if they actually did it on purpose: letting as all see that the Queen was ill and gently preparing us for the idea that this would be her last Christmas message. I mean, she definitely could have afforded a new dress, made to the measure. Maybe she really wanted us all to see that she had lost a lot of weight and shrunk.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Talkative Finn said:

Just saw a glimpse of the Queen's last Christmas message last year and noticed again how frail she looked. Especially so as her dress was clearly too big for her, hanging loosely around her. I remember having wondered at the time  why they didn't just use the usual trick of the fashion photo shoots (tightening the dress from the backside with clothespins) if that dress really was the only possible one to be used. But now I wonder if they actually did it on purpose: letting as all see that the Queen was ill and gently preparing us for the idea that this would be her last Christmas message. I mean, she definitely could have afforded a new dress, made to the measure. Maybe she really wanted us all to see that she had lost a lot of weight and shrunk.

Seeing that was why I added her to my list just before the new year.  I was shocked at how gaunt she looked.  

• Like 1

Could use another random tell-all book or lurid interview or such, but I suppose it'd be too late for Christmas business anyway. How else are we going to hit 200 pages this year still?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Lady Rupert Nevill, a personal friend of the Queen since childhood, died last week at 97:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royals/royal-tragedy-queens-most-mischievous-29091939

She helped her sneak out of the palace unrecognized.

Yeah but forgot about the crown stuck on top of her head!

• Like 2

On 01/06/2022 at 17:19, Ulitzer95 said:

Seeing as tomorrow is the Jubilee, a topical list to dump here. Every MP, peer, and baronet who is older than Her Majesty.

Plus I've also thrown in a few knights and dames for good measure, though compiling a complete list of those would be almost impossible.

Hereditary peers

Nathaniel Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, 21st Baron Saye and Sele (b. 22 Sep 1920)
Andrew Douglas Alexander Thomas Bruce, 11th Earl of Elgin and 15th Earl of Kincardine (b. 17 Feb 1924)
John de Grey, 9th Baron Walsingham (b. 21 Feb 1925)
John Loder, 3rd Baron Wakehurst (b. 23 Sep 1925)
Michael Brudenell-Bruce, 8th Marquess of Ailesbury (b. 31 Mar 1926)

Baronets
Sir Humphrey Moon, presumed 7th Baronet (b. 9 Oct 1919)
Sir John Conant, 2nd Baronet (b. 24 Apr 1923)
Sir Peter Mills, 3rd Baronet (b. 9 Jul 1924) revealed on 27/10/22 that he died in June 2021!
Sir Benjamin Brodie, presumed 5th Baronet (b. 29 May 1925)

Life peers
Tony Christopher, Baron Christopher (b. 23 Apr 1925)

MPs
Sir Patrick Duffy (b. 17 Jun 1920) Labour
Ben Ford (b. 1 Apr 1925) Labour

Some additional knights/dames...
Sir Lloyd Geering (b. 26 Feb 1918) New Zealand theologian
Dame Frances Campbell-Preston (b. 2 Sep 1918) Lady-in-waiting to the Queen Mother
Sir Anthony Epstein (b. 18 May 1921) co-discoverer of the Epstein-Barr virus
Sir Simon Towneley (b. 14 Dec 1921) author and brother of Sir Peregrine Worsthorne
Sir Sydney Kentridge (b. 5 Nov 1922) South African lawyer
Sir Francis Graham-Smith (b. 25 Apr 1923) Astronomer Royal, 1982–1990
Sir Mervyn Brown (b. 24 Sep 1923) diplomat and historian
Sir James Hennessy (b. 26 Sep 1923) Chief Inspector of Prisons, 1982–1987
Sir Simon Bland (b. 4 Dec 1923) soldier and courtier
Sir Bryan Thwaites (b. 6 Dec 1923) mathematician
Sir Patrick Sergeant (b. 17 Mar 1924) investor and businessman
Sir Meuric Rees (b. Mar 1924) farmer and businessman

Sir Thomas Baird (b. 17 May 1924) Royal Navy Vice-Admiral
Sir Eric Neal (b. 3 Jun 1924) Governor of South Australia, 1996–2001
Sir Peter Marshall (b. 30 Jul 1924) diplomat

Sir Stephen Brown (b. 3 Oct 1924) judge
Sir David Butler (b. 17 Oct 1924) psephologist
Sir Roy Augier (b. 17 Dec 1924) academic
Sir Peter Hirsch (b. 16 Jan 1925) materials scientist
Sir Bom Gillies (b. 14 Feb 1925) last survivor of the Maori Battalion from WWII
Sir Peter Baxendell (b. 28 Feb 1925) petroleum engineer
Sir Oscar De Ville (b. 11 Apr 1925) businessman

Sir Anthony Mason (b. 21 Apr 1925) Chief Justice of Australia, 1987–1995
Sir Jack Petchey (b. 19 Jul 1925) businessman and philanthropist
Dame Angela Lansbury (b. 16 Oct 1925) actress
Sir Desmond Lorimer (b. 20 Oct 1925) banker
Sir Paul Fox (b. 27 Oct 1925) Controller of BBC1, 1967–1973
Sir Sydney Samuelson (b. 7 Dec 1925) film director and cinematographer
Sir Paul Girolami (b. 25 Jan 1926) businessman
Sir Donald Insall (b. 7 Feb 1926) architect and author

Sir Francis McWilliams (b. 8 Feb 1926) engineer and Lord Mayor of London, 1992–1993
Sir Max Williams (b. 18 Feb 1926) lawyer

If anyone knows of anymore knights/dames, please say and I'll add to the list.

https://www.friulioggi.it/pordenone/morto-ex-presidente-glaxo-paul-girolami-figlio-emigrati-fanna-17-marzo-2023/
Sir Paul Girolami Has died aged 97 

• Like 1

Some say the Queen’s love of practical jokes may have gone too far as she tells Charles “April Fools”!

51202A5C-9B9A-48D7-93A0-3A1794663104.jpeg

• Like 1