Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

That's never going to work. A vast majority of folk in the UK (not everyone before the pedants arrive) like the Royals. Polling on the old monarchy v republicanism debate saw around a 76% average victory for monarchy as recently as last year.

I stand corrected, Toast, they call it something else these days. Having checked the Treasury website, Lillibet's incomings and outgoings run to a coma inducing 83 pages available online and I cannot be arsed. Life's too short.

That's never going to work. A vast majority of folk in the UK (not everyone before the pedants arrive) like the Royals. Polling on the old monarchy v republicanism debate saw around a 76% average victory for monarchy as recently as last year.

A huge swathe of that is the Queen Liz effect. Once Charlie boy takes over that is going to plummet.

Even when they attempted to gerrymander the Question to provoke responses that Charlie should take over and outlined practical reasons why, 62% of the public wanted the Queen over him.

Charles approval rating is 60% - I struggle to see him maintaining that once he takes over. Republican need to seize the chance to move while Charles is king.

I stand corrected, Toast, they call it something else these days. Having checked the Treasury website, Lillibet's incomings and outgoings run to a coma inducing 83 pages available online and I cannot be arsed. Life's too short.

It's a bit more than a name change though. There used to be loads of minor Royals on the payroll when it was the Civil List, but it's only the Queen and the direct heirs now I think.

Change a few words round and that reminds me of Momentum, and they've got as much chance winning their political argument as the british republicans do in my lifetime, imo.

Actually, I don't mind keeping them around the place because the tourists do like them, but I am totally in favour of scrapping the civil list and letting them charge per use like when you hire a plumber.

The civil list was abolished ages ago. The Queen gets an allowance out of which she pays her expenses, but it all comes out of the income from the Crown Estates. That income amounts to millions every year, and it goes to the Government by agreement with the Crown. So in fact the Royals are a bargain, they pretty much pay for themselves, and then some.

So let's kick her out, seize the crown estates and earn even more money from the palaces etc by letting the public walk around the whole place.

Kind of a greedy idea, that wouldn't work out, cuz'

1. We happen to live in a world governed by the Rule of Law. If you seize the crown estates and confiscate their private property, they might seek restitution at the European Court of Human Rights (which, contrary to what you might think is not an institution of or in any way related to the European Union, so its jurisdiction would be unaffected by Brexit).

2. Tourists are attracted to Buckingham Palace and co. not just because they look pretty, but also because they are inhabited by real royals. You could find pretty "palaces" in France, Germany or even in Disneyland but these are just museums and tacky fakes, lacking the charm of their English counterparts.

• Like 1

Actually, I don't mind keeping them around the place because the tourists do like them, but I am totally in favour of scrapping the civil list and letting them charge per use like when you hire a plumber.

The civil list was abolished ages ago. The Queen gets an allowance out of which she pays her expenses, but it all comes out of the income from the Crown Estates. That income amounts to millions every year, and it goes to the Government by agreement with the Crown. So in fact the Royals are a bargain, they pretty much pay for themselves, and then some.

So let's kick her out, seize the crown estates and earn even more money from the palaces etc by letting the public walk around the whole place.

Kind of a greedy idea, that wouldn't work out, cuz'

1. We happen to live in a world governed by the Rule of Law. If you seize the crown estates and confiscate their private property, they might seek restitution at the European Court of Human Rights (which, contrary to what you might think is not an institution of or in any way related to the European Union, so its jurisdiction would be unaffected by Brexit).

2. Tourists are attracted to Buckingham Palace and co. not just because they look pretty, but also because they are inhabited by real royals. You could find pretty "palaces" in France, Germany or even in Disneyland but these are just museums and tacky fakes, lacking the charm of their English counterparts.

What gives her the right to be Queen anyway. Just because some bint in a lake gave here a sword....

I like them. I think Phillip is a hoot and I'd probably fuck Harry.

• Like 2

I think Harry is a hoot and I'd probably fuck Philip.

Unless you are the Queen that is one of the most disturbing sentences I've ever read.

• Like 4

Unless you are the Queen that is one of the most disturbing sentences I've ever read.

You'd be surprised who's on here ;)

• Like 3

You'd be surprised who's on here ;)

That explains his long reign at the DDP.

• Like 2

Latest cover on an Australian women's magazine: 649e6aab423c9f2430a07ccf3a5d9be32af2daef

Not that I believe a word of it, but if true, no wonder poor old Queenie's been in bed. Charles has given her some headaches over the years!

Follow-up story: https://au.be.yahoo.com/lifestyle/real-life/a/34146101/camilla-could-be-set-for-life-yahoo7-be/#page1:D

• Like 1

Latest cover on an Australian women's magazine: 649e6aab423c9f2430a07ccf3a5d9be32af2daefNot that I believe a word of it, but if true, no wonder poor old Queenie's been in bed. Charles has given her some headaches over the years!

Follow-up story: https://au.be.yahoo.com/lifestyle/real-life/a/34146101/camilla-could-be-set-for-life-yahoo7-be/#page1:D

I see a car accident in her future.

• Like 1

Kensington Palace has announced William and Kate are to move to the Palace now full time. William is giving up his career as a rescue pilot and will take up full time Royal duties. George will start school in London and Charlotte will go to a London nursery. Yet more shrinking of the Queen's schedule as younger Royals take things over.

• Like 1

Kensington Palace has announced William and Kate are to move to the Palace now full time. William is giving up his career as a rescue pilot and will take up full time Royal duties. George will start school in London and Charlotte will go to a London nursery. Yet more shrinking of the Queen's schedule as younger Royals take things over.

About time too. Why anybody would expect her to continue with a full workload at 90 ....

and before anyone says it, yes it is work. I doubt she's ever enjoyed plodding round factories and schools on a daily basis, making small talk and asking people if they've come far. I'd hate it.

• Like 1

Still splendid in her regania.

Her WHAT???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Still splendid in her regania.

Her WHAT???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's royal language.

• Like 2

Thank goodness, I thought Frankie Boyle had sneaked your password...

• Like 2