DevonDeathTrip

Coleman Falls?

45 minutes ago, Imelda said:

He must be shitting himself! Can he make it until the weekend?

Don't forget Des though.

I'm so old I was an adult by Des's heyday!

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Very sad news. Oddly I did wonder a few weeks ago if he was ill as I saw posts mentioning how he quietly left TalkSport without fuss just before that article in 2020 was published. 

He was well enough to go to Sutton United a couple of weeks or so ago

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, time said:

He was well enough to go to Sutton United a couple of weeks or so ago

Oh ho I'll bet you're wondering how I knew

That Old Motty was turning blue

The guy who used to call the score

In the ages that went before.

It took me by surprise, I must say

When I heard the news today

Oh ho I heard it through the Tim Vine

That John M has joined the divine....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

If Davies was a Frank Worthington/Matt le Tissier fancy Dan, then Motty was an industrious Claude Makelele. 

Which in turn makes Sam Matterface Ali Dia - a hopeless chancer who has somehow conned his way into the first team.

Ali Dia was at least subbed off, whilst Matterface is somehow still going despite constant ridicule. Seeing as it isn't natural talent that has made him ITV's #1 commentator, you must wonder what other non-commentating skill he possess.

• Like 1

Most if not all of the commentators nowadays are god awful none of them anywhere near the same league as Motson, Barry Davies or Brian Moore. Moore the all time No.1  for me

• Like 2

On 23/02/2023 at 09:55, The Old Crem said:

Very sad news. Oddly I did wonder a few weeks ago if he was ill as I saw posts mentioning how he quietly left TalkSport without fuss just before that article in 2020 was published. 

Appears to be sudden. Was going out 3-4 times a week. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-64759055

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Martin Tyler sounds a bit off here. Now granted he's after been commentating on a game but even still. Sounds like he's struggling a bit

https://youtu.be/caRC5agk4BQ

I noticed that in commentary he sounded a bit haggard. 77 now. Motty was younger and he's dead! Time to turn it in I think.

• Like 1

On 14/05/2023 at 23:02, Sly Ronnie said:

I noticed that in commentary he sounded a bit haggard. 77 now. Motty was younger and he's dead! Time to turn it in I think.

Indeed he is turning it in

• Like 1

R Alun Evans, Welsh commentator for the BBC, dead aged 86. Pioneered Welsh-language commentary. 

• Like 1

Peter Matthews, who has commentated on Athletics for the BBC (TV & Radio) and ITV in addition to being the stadium announcer for Commonwealth games in Edinburgh (1970) and Manchester (2002). has died aged 78.

He was also a respected statistician and editor of the ATFS International Athletics Annuals from 1984 until the latest edition. He also edited the British Athletics Annual from the early 1980s, and the Guinness Book of World Records in the early 1990s.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/09/2023 at 14:04, time said:

Peter Matthews, who has commentated on Athletics for the BBC (TV & Radio) and ITV in addition to being the stadium announcer for Commonwealth games in Edinburgh (1970) and Manchester (2002). has died aged 78.

He was also a respected statistician and editor of the ATFS International Athletics Annuals from 1984 until the latest edition. He also edited the British Athletics Annual from the early 1980s, and the Guinness Book of World Records in the early 1990s.

Only just seen this. What he didn't know about Track & Field wasn't worth knowing. RIP.

• Like 1

Steve Rider has been diagnosed with Prostate cancer and will be having surgery in a few days. 

I only saw him last Sunday at the BTCC. He looked well and was in good spirits, no evidence of any illness. Hope he recovers quickly!

Great presenter such a pity the way it ended at the BBC

Will always associate him with Sportsnight and Grandstand

5 hours ago, TQR said:

I only saw him last Sunday at the BTCC. He looked well and was in good spirits, no evidence of any illness. Hope he recovers quickly!

Article on the BBC mentioned he was allowed to fulfil his weekend BTCC commitments before the surgery. Hope it goes well, he's a great broadcaster.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Article on the BBC mentioned he was allowed to fulfil his weekend BTCC commitments before the surgery. Hope it goes well, he's a great broadcaster.

Oh yeah, broadcasting legend. He's one of a few who really helped put the BTCC on the map. He's a really nice bloke too.

• Like 1

Long time Sky Sports boxing commentator Adam Smith has stepped down after 30 years. Also revealed that he has beaten cancer.

On 11/10/2023 at 09:41, The Old Crem said:

Steve Rider has been diagnosed with Prostate cancer and will be having surgery in a few days. 

Met Steve last night. He looked extremely well, wouldn't have.thought he was suffering any illness, let alone cancer.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1