On 1.12.2017 at 16:39, Grim Up North said:

Apparently Pele is in a wheelchair............:wheelchair:

I think he's going downhill fast. Won't see 80.

10 hours ago, gcreptile said:

23/10/2020 - so if we presume he won't be on the 2018 list we need to not forget about him for 2019 and 2020.

Be nice if Barnsley could actually win the odd game (1 win in 7 as it stands) to give Patrick Cryne more incentive to live another few weeks.

David Blaine is fuming. His record of doing nothing in the box for 44 days has been smashed by Romelu Lukaku.

blaine.jpg

Most ridiculous ever today.  The QOTS V Dundee United game abandoned at half time.  QOTS play on a plastic all weather pitch.  How the fuck can you abandon the match at half time.  Lets hope they get a massive fine

On 02/12/2017 at 22:50, gcreptile said:

Isn't his mother still alive, I think she's 93, maybe she will outlive him, imagine being 77 and your mother is still here.

Interesting look at the finances of Celtic in comparison to the rest of the SPFL, and that of SotW.

Scroll to the post on Celtic getting £2.8M for winning the League, whereas the bottom Club in the shire gets £93M + £43M parachute the following season.

And we have two englanders running the game up here, get them tae fuckity.

https://mobile.twitter.com/swissramble/status/944151067591364608

1 hour ago, charon said:

Interesting look at the finances of Celtic in comparison to the rest of the SPFL, and that of SotW.

Scroll to the post on Celtic getting £2.8M for winning the League, whereas the bottom Club in the shire gets £93M + £43M parachute the following season.

And we have two englanders running the game up here, get them tae fuckity.

https://mobile.twitter.com/swissramble/status/944151067591364608

I doubt if it would matter a shit who was running the game up there, the SPL is a dead duck outside of Scotland.

Fair play to Celtic for managing to squeeze so much out of what they get to make the money that they have.

Yeah, perhaps, but... why's that a bad thing? Does anyone care about Norwegian football outside of bits of Norway?

I glanced over those stats but seems to show Fergus McCann right: live within your means, build up your own capital, dominate. Rangers just spent everyone else's money, it came back to haunt them. Died. The New Rangers probably perma-fucked for the time being.

Anyhow, never mind all that. Apparently Thistle made a profit this year? Fantastic. We were a complete basket case financially only about 15-16 years ago.

• Like 1

Norway is an interesting one tho msc, their TV deal is vastly more lucrative than the Scottish one, and I think has gone up again since I last looked a couple of years back.

Aye, fair point, but Norway doesn't have the brains of the SPL and the like in charge of their TV deals, going to Sky with "I suppose you'll have to pay us less now" - who does that in TV rights anywhere? Idiots.

1 hour ago, msc said:

Aye, fair point, but Norway doesn't have the brains of the SPL and the like in charge of their TV deals, going to Sky with "I suppose you'll have to pay us less now" - who does that in TV rights anywhere? Idiots.

You want to sum up the SPL?

There is the odd report floating around that Dembele could be leaving Celtic for..................Brighton.

All that sums up is that the English league has far more money, tbh. Barca youth players go to fucking Stoke after all...

1 minute ago, msc said:

All that sums up is that the English league has far more money, tbh. Barca youth players go to fucking Stoke after all...

That's not an unfair comment but you could also argue that the player is a mercenary for going to play for a mediocre Premier league side for the money or that the challenge of winning a zillion games, the title season in and season out, because the league is massively uncompetitive, and Champions league football every season, is simply not enough to keep the best players.

It's not like he could be going to Man Utd or Chelsea and the like, is it.

It has been mooted that BT Sport may be the main bidder for SFL TV rights when the current deal expires.

How they would market the league which is utterly dominated by one club will be the driving factor in their bid, surely.

They market those youth Champions League matches and some right random bollocks, they should be OK. :D

Though the key in that case is likely to sell it on the individual matches: Old Firm, Edinburgh, Aberdeen/Rangers/Celtic and so on. Same reason people tune in to random FA Cup ties or English club v Team that gub them in Europe, but on a lower scale, obv.

Anyhow, SPL is BT's 3rd most popular live football service after Premier League and Champs League - it gets something like 3-4 times the viewers the French league, which is never off, gets (on average) - so yeah, BT should increase their money for it. B)

PS All footballers are mercenaries. Any footballer who says "I love this club"? Getting a pay rise or going elsewhere at first chance.

And tbf, it's a job like any other, so can't blame them! Like those folk moaning that the 3rd choice keeper at United made several million without playing. Genius work if you can get it, imo.

1 hour ago, msc said:

PS All footballers are mercenaries. Any footballer who says "I love this club"? Getting a pay rise or going elsewhere at first chance.

And tbf, it's a job like any other, so can't blame them! Like those folk moaning that the 3rd choice keeper at United made several million without playing. Genius work if you can get it, imo.

Oh, I dunno so much.

Steve Bull played his whole career at Wolves when he could have gone elsewhere for more money etc.

Steve Perryman, Le Tissier and quite a few pros stayed with one club, even that hard bastard McGrain stayed with Celtic for, pretty much, most of his career when he was certainly courted by English clubs because he was a fucking top player.

Most are mercenaries tho.:D

On 26/12/2017 at 13:43, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Oh, I dunno so much.

Steve Bull played his whole career at Wolves when he could have gone elsewhere for more money etc.

Steve Perryman, Le Tissier and quite a few pros stayed with one club, even that hard bastard McGrain stayed with Celtic for, pretty much, most of his career when he was certainly courted by English clubs because he was a fucking top player.

Most are mercenaries tho.:D

Indeed and when loads of us were polled about the best Carlisle United player ever Allan Ross (467 games, almost played for Scotland, could've gone to Celtic) won by a mile beating other greats who came and opted for glory elsewhere (Peter Beardsley, Matt Jansen, Stan Bowles)

• Like 1

Did anyone watch the FFA Cup Final this year in its entirety? How was the ...post-game ceremony? Does anyone have video?

10 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Did anyone watch the FFA Cup Final this year in its entirety? How was the ...post-game ceremony? Does anyone have video?

I thought "female FA Cup?" and was wondering if this was related to the metoo thing for a moment. Then I twigged deadpooling. :D

All those early qualifiers add up

17h
    Moravcik67 @Moravcik67_

1. Including Internationals, Kieran Tierney has played more minutes (3,607) in 17/18 than any other outfield player in any European top tier league. That equates to 40 full matches in 169 days, or 1 game every ~4 days since July. Only Craig Gordon (3,780) has played more minutes.

Moravcik67 @Moravcik67_

2. The 2 outfield players closest to Tierney are Scott Brown (3,220 minutes) and Mikael Lustig (3,137 minutes). Valon Berisha, of Salzburg, is the first non-Celtic player on the list, with 2,984 minutes - 7 games worth less than Tierney has played.
    6:13 PM - Dec 31, 2017

4 4 Replies
        50 50 Retweets
        79 79 likes

Twitter Ads info and privacy

I know various father/son stats, European Cup winners, Gudjonson replacing his dad in an international etc.

Today, Forest Green had father and son sent off.

Son for tackle, manager dad for going mental.

Some info on Artur Lekbello, a former Albanian footballer whose illness has gotten Euro 2004 winners involved. Article is translated from Albanian via Google. 13 May 2017: http://www.panorama.com.al/sport/drama-e-lekbellos-greket-mbledhin-para-per-ti-zgjatur-jeten/

Artur Lekbello in critical condition. The bad news comes from Thessaloniki, where former renowned Albanian football player and Tirana are fighting for life. "Panorama Sport" teaches that for a long time the 51-year-old suffers from a rare disease and to be diagnosed there is an unmanageable cost from the Lekbello family.

Over the last few days, there has been a great sensitivity in Greece regarding the health problems of Lekbello, who for eight seasons played with Aris Thessaloniki fan. The media in the neighboring state have been reporting for Lekbone's disease for days, as Ariti's club has made a big awareness of the awareness campaign, where Arthur has not only played but has been a coach for ages for several years.

According to what Hellenic sports newspapers write, Aris veteran chairman Janis Venos has announced that on 17 May a friendly match will be held to raise money for the former footballer's therapy. About the war that Lekbello is doing, who is living a personal drama recently, suffering from a muscular illness, the chairman of the association of former Aristides has spoken.

"We are here to share with Aris and the whole Thessaloniki fans the support we must give to our former player, Artur Lekbello. There will be a friendly match to assist Arthur on May 17th, with a team of former Aris players against those who declared Greece a European Champion in 2004. We have to collect some income that we will hand over Arthur, in order to start therapy for the treatment of muscle disease in Berlin or America.

This is a case that occurs 1 time to 2 million. It is very rare ... He is still young, only 51 and has two children. The limbs of the limbs can not move at all. He can not even raise the phone, can not raise his hand to greet someone. His case has fascinated us.

The chances of living with this disease are up to 3 years and Arthur is in the fifth year. We need to help her reach the impossible. The disease is progressing, so everyone comes to the stadium, supporting Arthur to extend his life, "Venos said.

FSHF and Tirana club, no initiative for the former player. At a time when the Greek media and sporting opinion in Thessaloniki are doing everything to support Artur Lekbello, strangely enough by the Albanian football institution and the Tirana club there is no sign of any sensitizing initiative to help the former player. Lekbello has played 32 matches with the red flagship of the representative, being one of the important players of the 80s and '90s.

Also, the 51-year-old ha devoted his career to the white shirt of Tirana, before emigrating to Greece, where he became an idol for Arisian fans. For the last time, Lekbello was in the 2012-2013 season at the helm of Tirana, which he directed for the first time as a coach. However, his adventure lasted a little while and after returning to Thessaloniki appeared the rare disease he is suffering a lot

Edit: Errm, is there another football thread that's not in extra-curricular that this should be posted in or?

Time Added  is the thread for football-related illlness/death discussion, I think.

• Thanks 1

Today's second-most surprising football news