9 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Maybe it's just me, but some players on 1/2 a million quid a fucking week, and some of those largely sitting on a bench whilst this happens? What the actual fuck is happening in this world? Football is a microcosm of that (recently deceased, haha take that) cunt Koch.

To repeat, maybe it's just me. but i'm fucking fed up of it.

NB. I don't blame the 24 million a year guys, it's not them....

Meh. 

Like most industries those players probably have stipulations in their contract preventing them from owning a stake in a competitor due to potential conflict of interest. If you played for Tottenham/Manchester City I don't think you could go and buy Bury FC/Bolton without giving up your playing career - which would be unreasonable to ask any sportsman. Even if they could, FFP would become an absolute ball-ache, as the EFL aren't going to want to make the mistake made in allowing Steve Dale in again (the death of the club is at their door).

6 minutes ago, En Passant said:

It's not even Fort William (no offence, I love them) we're talking about here, these are teams only one step down. It's insane.

2 steps. (Premier League - one step - Championship - two step - League One).

check the part where I don't blame the players deathers. You take what you can in this world I guess. But there's something badly wrong with everything where teams are going bust only one division down from the top rung, whilst one player in a team on that top rung is making enough in one week to save them. That's what I'm on about, the disparity between "the top" and everyone else. It's not just football is the point I'm badly making.

Edit for accuracy. OK, two steps. but the point holds i fear.

1 minute ago, En Passant said:

check the part where I don't blame the players deathers. You take what you can in this world I guess. But there's something badly wrong with everything where teams are going bust only one division down from the top rung, whilst one player in a team on that top rung is making enough in one week to save them. That's what I'm on about, the disparity between "the top" and everyone else. It's not just football is the point I'm badly making.

Oh yeah. I know you aren't blaming the players, was just hammering home the point for anyone else that even if the players wanted to save the club they couldn't. 

And making enough in a week to save them is a bit of an exaggeration.

The highest-paid premier league player earns £418,000 a week. It would be 15 weeks wages just to pay off League One Bury's debt. A years wages might see him able to operate the club for the foreseeable future. 

It's still utterly ludicrous. The fall between the Premier League and the Championship costs a club £50m overnight in TV rights.

Who knew letting an asset stripper take charge of a football club could go so wrong so quickly?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deathray said:

It's still utterly ludicrous

This is what I'm on about. We agree ;)

Sanchez. Ozil. Bale ffs.

I don't blame any of them, but they barely play and teams that have 100 years or more of history and a fanbase to match are going to the wall for an amount these guys could cough up without having to trade the Bentley for a Fiesta.

I repeat, it's not those players fault. But the system is broken, and on a global scale it's just a microcosm (yeah that word again) of the koch way.

On 27/08/2019 at 23:38, Deathray said:

Bolton have been granted a 14 day window to find a buyer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49491632

They're next match was meant to be Bury which probably helps....

14 days from when they released the statement is September the 10th but since the 27th only had about 1hr left they bumped it seems fair.  So that would go to September 11th.  I imagine the EFL finally found a small amount of tact and bumped it to the 12th not wanting bolton to go out of business on 9/11.

It's the only reason I can can come up with as to why the 14 day extension is in actual fact 15/16 days. The other reason is they can't count but I'm sure that's not an issue and the people at the EFL are very smart and clever people , who go over even the most minor of details with a fine toothcomb.:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, the_engineer said:

14 days from when they released the statement is September the 10th but since the 27th only had about 1hr left they bumped it seems fair.  So that would go to September 11th.  I imagine the EFL finally found a small amount of tact and bumped it to the 12th not wanting bolton to go out of business on 9/11.

It's the only reason I can can come up with as to why the 14 day extension is in actual fact 15/16 days. The other reason is they can't count but I'm sure that's not an issue and the people at the EFL are very smart and clever people , who go over even the minor details with a fine toothcomb:rolleyes:

Speaking of which it leaves a knock on effect lower down. Presumably it's four up from League Two as always so the play-offs etc. remain as they are already planned to be. So if Bolton go too there's a few financially and skilfully challenged League One teams who could have a charmed season.

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Speaking of which it leaves a knock on effect lower down. Presumably it's four up from League Two as always so the play-offs etc. remain as they are already planned to be. So if Bolton go too there's a few financially and skilfully challenged League One teams who could have a charmed season.

I assume Celtic and Sevco are also eyeing a way to worm there way into the English setup.  In a way I hope they do, it would help Scottish football

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

League have already clarified what they do:

Championship

Promotion - 3 Teams (unchanged)

Relegation - 4 Teams (unchanged)

League One

Promotion - 4 Teams (unchanged)

Relegation - 3 relegations now (2 relegation if Bolton also expelled)

League Two

Relegation - 1 Team now (0 if Bolton are also expelled)

Conference 

Promotion - 2 Teams (unchanged)

Looks like they won't be inviting Celtic and Rangers after all.

Man, Carlisle's pass completion this season has been patchy and our conversion rate of chances is desperate too

So, bring on Bolton's demise and we can play keepy uppies in front of amused supporters until next May!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Man, Carlisle's pass completion this season has been patchy and our conversion rate of chances is desperate too

So, bring on Bolton's demise and we can play keepy uppies in front of amused supporters until next May!

Yeah if Bolton go you can imagine a whole load of Division 2 teams releasing all their players and manager and coaching staff and just playing apprentices and youth teamers until the summer.

4 hours ago, Deathray said:

League have already clarified what they do:

Championship

Promotion - 3 Teams (unchanged)

Relegation - 4 Teams (unchanged)

League One

Relegation - 3 relegations now (2 relegation if Bolton also expelled)

League Two

Relegation - 1 Team now (0 if Bolton are also expelled)

Conference 

Promotion - 2 Teams (unchanged)

Looks like they won't be inviting Celtic and Rangers after all.

I'd imagine oldham, Scunthorpe (not sure about Carlisle maybe MPFC can tell us) will be breathing a sigh of relief if bolton go they've never been out of the football league. Oldham especially! They're struggling so far this season and could set the unwanted record of being the first former premier League side relegated to the non league.  That's if you don't count bolton or Wimbledon.  Wimbledon were  dissolved and reformed and bolton won't even get the chance to play non league. 

45 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Yeah if Bolton go you can imagine a whole load of Division 2 teams releasing all their players and manager and coaching staff and just playing apprentices and youth teamers until the summer.

Basically friendlies after they realistically can't get into the playoffs.  

5 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Aye, back to the days when Newport County gave up on league survival really early and pretty much did that as they crashed out. Memorable to Carlisle supporters because any realistic argument about the team that would finish last that year was over when we went to them in March and got a result. Only one down automatically in the early nineties

4 hours ago, the_engineer said:

I'd imagine oldham, Scunthorpe (not sure about Carlisle maybe MPFC can tell us) will be breathing a sigh of relief if bolton go they've never been out of the football league. Oldham especially! They're struggling so far this season and could set the unwanted record of being the first former premier League side relegated to the non league.  That's if you don't count bolton or Wimbledon.  Wimbledon were  dissolved and reformed and bolton won't even get the chance to play non league. 

We relax over pre-match pints this season with cheery conversations about the fact a handful of clubs are worse than us. The bookies tend to place Morecambe as a permanent fixture amongst those fancied to go down. Scunny in freefall, Oldham close by and Stevenage's bubble appears to have burst so my feeling is Carlisle have a lacklustre but basically safe season if only one goes down.

• Like 1

Why are the cups being ruined.

No extra time in the league cup matches.

No fifth round replays in the FA Cup. 

Extra times is part of what makes cup ties more exciting.

Fifth round replays provide much needed money to smaller clubs who have a good run if the draws favourable, with clubs going bust removing that is a really stupid move by the FA.

Just now, Deathray said:

Why are the cups being ruined.

No extra time in the league cup matches.

No fifth round replays in the FA Cup. 

Re the League Cup - let's ring someone who's on tenterhooks to watch an early round match and see how they feel about being deprived of the chance to watch an extra thirty minutes of lowly bunch of League Two journeymen desperately trying to overcome the cash crop from the academy of a Championship side.

3 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Re the League Cup - let's ring someone who's on tenterhooks to watch an early round match and see how they feel about being deprived of the chance to watch an extra thirty minutes of lowly bunch of League Two journeymen desperately trying to overcome the cash crop from the academy of a Championship side.

I think your confusing the League Cup with the EFL Trophy. The Championship academies don't play the League Cup. (Unless they field really bad teams like Norwich last night...)

The EFL Trophy is a fucking joke, but the League Cup deserves extra time. 

4 minutes ago, Deathray said:

I think your confusing the League Cup with the EFL Trophy. The Championship academies don't play the League Cup. (Unless they field really bad teams like Norwich last night...)

The EFL Trophy is a fucking joke, but the League Cup deserves extra time. 

I'm not confusing them. That's the point. Very few clubs take the early rounds of the League Cup seriously anymore. Had Carlisle overcome the might of Rochdale last night and drawn a big team we'd have found ourselves facing about three players we'd heard of and a slew of stiffs the mighty club was hoping to shift for decent money having chanced their contracts after the academy days. We had a good night a few years back dumping QPR out of the League Cup but I'd challenge a die-hard QPR fan to tell me a lot about the players in their team that night.

8 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

I'm not confusing them. That's the point. Very few clubs take the early rounds of the League Cup seriously anymore. Had Carlisle overcome the might of Rochdale last night and drawn a big team we'd have found ourselves facing about three players we'd heard of and a slew of stiffs the mighty club was hoping to shift for decent money having chanced their contracts after the academy days. We had a good night a few years back dumping QPR out of the League Cup but I'd challenge a die-hard QPR fan to tell me a lot about the players in their team that night.

I think your being a bit harsh. For mid-table/lower table premier league clubs there's a realistic prospect of a place in Europe up for grabs.

Premier League and Championship clubs will naturally fielder weaker teams against weaker teams, if you look at Newcastle v Leicester tonight you'll see that when the opposition is warranted less risks will be taken by managers. (most changes injury forced).

But yeah your right most clubs don't take it too seriously anymore, which is a shame.Thankfully it's not long until the FA Cup now.

Would you really want Man City to play Kevin De Bruyne and Sergio Aguero against Carlisle if they met in the cup anyway? You'd be mauled.

2 minutes ago, Deathray said:

I think your being a bit harsh. For mid-table/lower table premier league clubs there's a realistic prospect of a place in Europe up for grabs.

Premier League and Championship clubs will naturally fielder weaker teams against weaker teams, if you look at Newcastle v Leicester tonight you'll see that when the opposition is warranted less risks will be taken by managers. (most changes injury forced).

But yeah your right most clubs don't take it too seriously anymore, which is a shame.Thankfully it's not until the FA Cup now.

Would you really want Man City to play Kevin De Bruyne and Sergio Aguero against Carlisle if they met in the cup anyway? You'd be mauled.

We know how to deal with skilful players in a cup tie:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Amazing banter or just simply an amazing banner.  

• Haha 1