2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Granted this is part of the reason Carlisle fell from 1st to 3rd this week (Covid outbreak at our end didn't help) 

But RESPECT!!

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Fairly sure that isn't the distance Tom King of Newport County managed. I'm seeing stuff online claiming it as the longest shot ever to score a goal. Dunno if that can ever be proven beyond doubt. There are doubtless some claims for goals that weren't filmed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Fairly sure that isn't the distance Tom King of Newport County managed. I'm seeing stuff online claiming it as the longest shot ever to score a goal. Dunno if that can ever be proven beyond doubt. There are doubtless some claims for goals that weren't filmed.

Its a bit like the undocumented oldies claiming to be 133 or summat. Guinness world records had the Asmir Begovic effort as the verified world record distance, at 100.5 yards; The Cheltenham pitch is 111 yards long, so taking into account the ball placement for the kick, its certainly longer than that at around 105 yards.

Guiness book of world  records says Tom King  of Newport FC  new record holder of longest distance scored by a goalkeeper at  96.01 metres and no i have no idea who measured the distance either.

4 hours ago, six feet blunder said:

Guiness book of world  records says Tom King  of Newport FC  new record holder of longest distance scored by a goalkeeper at  96.01 metres and no i have no idea who measured the distance either.

96.01 meters is 105 yards. Like the man said.

22 hours ago, time said:

Its a bit like the undocumented oldies claiming to be 133 or summat. Guinness world records had the Asmir Begovic effort as the verified world record distance, at 100.5 yards; The Cheltenham pitch is 111 yards long, so taking into account the ball placement for the kick, its certainly longer than that at around 105 yards.

Rangers should be deducted one point for every player that was at that party.

Fining them is no use, they get paid far too much to be worried about a piddling little fine but losing point off their season would hurt like buggery.

With the news that Peter Lorimer is seriously unwell I am reminded that according to Wikipedia at least the referee who presided over that infamous Leeds v West Brom match from 1971 which cost Leeds the title, Ray Tinkler, is still going (born 1929). The incident is famous for Barry Davies' "and Leeds will go mad" commentary. Weird that the referee and the commentator appear to have survived most of the players involved as Geoff Astle features prominently as well. Tony Brown, the West Brom number 8 is still alive. 

• Like 1

Watched Manchester city beat Wolves 4-1 for their 21st consecutive win closing in on the record of 27 held by The New Saints

Rangers again!

They should be docked 10 points for their fans behaviour both yesterday and today.

They go to Celtic Park as champions.  Thats going to end well

The police should stay away from the Rangers v Celtic match today after all the fans have been told to stay away so there will be no need for a police presence.

If the so-called fans do turn up then they can have a go at each other with any interference from the police.

Shock-Horror

Celtic and Rangers football fans have been praised for sticking to lockdown restrictions.

Police Scotland confirmed there had been no arrests made following the Old Firm fixture as fans heeded warnings to "stay at home".

The message was heavily promoted ahead of Sunday's match at Celtic Park.

Despite a significant police presence at both Parkhead and Ibrox, police said the warning was observed by the vast majority.

But then....

However, while Glasgow appeared quiet, a crowd of Rangers supporters gathered in West Lothian.

Social media posts showed fans celebrating in the street in Armadale.

An incredibly rare thing happened in England's match against the mighty San Marino tonight - a Devonian, Ollie Watkins, formerly an Exeter City player, managed to score.   I believe he is only the third Devon born player to score for England in the last one hundred years, after Cliff Bastin and Trevor Francis.   

• Like 4

I was wondering if someone could help me out here, as a man who knows the square root of fuck all about football (and I mean, fuck all).

Why is this breakaway European League thing being spoken about as if it’s a war crime? What’s so ‘disgusting’ about it and why is it so ‘damaging’ to the football world?

17 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I was wondering if someone could help me out here, as a man who knows the square root of fuck all about football (and I mean, fuck all).

Why is this breakaway European League thing being spoken about as if it’s a war crime? What’s so ‘disgusting’ about it and why is it so ‘damaging’ to the football world?

It' will be a closed shop of 15 of the richest clubs in Europe. They get richer and the rest of the football world is given a few scraps from the table. The 15 'founding clubs' will have  permanence in the Superleague, no matter how badly they perform. There will be 5 additional places decided on merit, but even if one of the additional 5 were to win the competition, they would receive less in prize money than one of the 15 would get merely for participating.

This twitter thread sums things up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, time said:

It' will be a closed shop of 15 of the richest clubs in Europe. They get richer and the rest of the football world is given a few scraps from the table. The 15 'founding clubs' will have  permanence in the Superleague, no matter how badly they perform. There will be 5 additional places decided on merit, but even if one of the additional 5 were to win the competition, they would receive less in prize money than one of the 15 would get merely for participating.

This twitter thread sums things up.

31 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

It is the next stage in surrendering to the media world. If will become difficult for fans to follow their clubs if every other away game is in France, Italy or Spain and the lack of relegation will make it turgid.

You could argue that The Championship is more competitive than the Premier League because at the beginning of the season it is difficult to predict who will finish where. 

But this will make the Premier  League look scintillating by comparison

• Thanks 1

As a lifelong football lover and supporter whose interest has been waning as my contempt has been rising over the last few years, this is probably the parting of the ways. I already take more of an interest in several other sports ahead of football as it is.  Sad but inevitable that Liverpool are part of the money-grab. Proud of Chester FC for refusing to join the super league.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

The money men who own 99% of the money involved are throwing a hissy fit they don't have enough of the money. Essentially.

(I could mention the meritocracy v American business profit wankers bit but I took you at your non-sports interested self and went as succinct as possible!)

31 minutes ago, msc said:

The money men who own 99% of the money involved are throwing a hissy fit they don't have enough of the money. Essentially.

(I could mention the meritocracy v American business profit wankers bit but I took you at your non-sports interested self and went as succinct as possible!)

Oh I like sports, just not football! I think the players, many of the diehard fans and the managers/higher ups within it are absolute wasters. All this further fuels my thoughts (on the higher ups side of things, anyway).

2 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Oh I like sports, just not football! I think the players, many of the diehard fans and the managers/higher ups within it are absolute wasters. All this further fuels my thoughts (on the higher ups side of things, anyway).

Yeah you said you like snooker yesterday, my sleep patterns fucked. Anyhow, moaning millionaires wanting to fuck off with more money - same old story it ever was with everything.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, msc said:

Yeah you said you like snooker yesterday, my sleep patterns fucked. Anyhow, moaning millionaires wanting to fuck off with more money - same old story it ever was with everything.

Yeah I don’t mind snooker. And sports too, as I say.

(sorry Deathers)

7 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

As a lifelong football lover and supporter whose interest has been waning as my contempt has been rising over the last few years, this is probably the parting of the ways. I already take more of an interest in several other sports ahead of football as it is.  Sad but inevitable that Liverpool are part of the money-grab. Proud of Chester FC for refusing to join the super league.

As someone who only casually watches the sport I would think this actually makes La Liga,Premiereship,Bundesliga etc interesting .  I never understood why anyone unless they were a Bayern Munich fan or masochist would keep up with the top flight German League when it's the same team winning year after year(and if they don't win one year they will be able to just poach the best players from the team who upset the balance) Ditto La Liga with Barca/Madrid squads.  These top flight domestic league's now as they exist are Groundhog's Day  for essentially 1 super rich club or maybe 2-3 super rich clubs