Back to the previous subject of commentators - Peter Dreary.

This man has a ridiculously exagerated comment for every occassion.

And worse of all, I'm actually starting to listen to what Ian Wright has to say!

Nurse, my medication please.

DWB :)

So I decided to sleep in today and when I awoke, somehow Ukraine had not only won, but evened out their GD.

I was thinking of watching the final game in a Canadian pub, but perhaps they'd be better off if I didn't. :)

DWB we have an old commentators thread somewhere about where performers who'd make Dreary sound lively are celebrated.

It was dead moving to see the Poles and the Ticos celebrating together tonight in perfect harmony. That's what the whole thing is all about isn't it?

The Ukranians were in fine voice as well of course. :)

It was dead moving to see the Poles and the Ticos celebrating together tonight in perfect harmony. That's what the whole thing is all about isn't it?

I thought this was what it was all about. That seems to be the sort of event which gets the British media most excited anyway.

I thought this was what it was all about. That seems to be the sort of event which gets the British media most excited anyway.

and for once I thought this kind of thing was going to be avoided....

wishful thinking i guess.

Octi, my thoughts are this is far from a done deal. The known facts include the chairman's revelation that many people expressed almost immediate interest when Simmo announced he was going. My guess is Hendry is one of them. My guess is also that the board will listen carfully, and consider loads of others before appointing someone with a better record than the man. John Carver - really good assistant at Leeds and highly rated - is mentioned in that article. We have a precedent, appointing Mick Wadsworth from a similar background in 1993 and watching him take us to a championship and the first visit to Wembley. Martin Allen, who didn't as expected, get the Tranmere job is another decent candidate mentioned in that article. Then there's the fact that Nigel Clough, already considered once before, might be in the running and - maybe - the currently jobless Mervyn Day who did well here last time

And that's before some of the others who've made their interest known are revealed. Following Simmo will be a tough job but it's now an attractive job with good possibilities for the right man, so we should get a decent boss.

godot old son, you're right and i wouldn't dispute it. of course the media go on about it because it's popular. and of course there's no shame in being proud of being english (viz the countryside, the writing, vaughan williams, etc), which i am. my point (though i concede that you might not have been directing anything at me specifically) is that a lot of people are xenophobic when it comes to footy, and it spoils it for me. i do support england, as it goes, but i also have respect for the other teams, especially when they include english born or based players (i'm more likely to have seen the t&t team playing than england, as i go to league 1&2 games, not premiership). and that's sorely lacking in yer average boozer or tabloid rag.

two more things - i'm a media F*****t, too. and i am not a grumpy old man - i'm a grumpy middle-aged man, thank you.

and you're spot on, too, slave. all countries do it, because we're all still less civilised than we'd like to think.

I don't think we disagree. I was disappointed to hear that some people who had other nations flags flying from their cars received rude gestures. What about car flags anyway? Are they naff or are they OK? Personally I'm ambivalent. I think in general footie supporters have settled down a lot from the way they were in the 70s when there was much more xenophobia. It's still not like Rugby Union where you get a lot more accommodating spectators. We sing the English songs, then we sing the songs of whoever we're playing.

Another thing on anthems. Why are they always written by third rate musicians? Perhaps good musicians want nothing to do with nationalism and monarchy.

One last thing. Who decided that Land of Hope and Glory was the English national anthem? I suspect it was a marketing manager.

I predict England 4, Sweden 0.

And finally. Don't agree that Crouch is ordinary. He suffers from tallist prejudice.

godot old son, you're right and i wouldn't dispute it. of course the media go on about it because it's popular. and of course there's no shame in being proud of being english (viz the countryside, the writing, vaughan williams, etc), which i am. my point (though i concede that you might not have been directing anything at me specifically) is that a lot of people are xenophobic when it comes to footy, and it spoils it for me. i do support england, as it goes, but i also have respect for the other teams, especially when they include english born or based players (i'm more likely to have seen the t&t team playing than england, as i go to league 1&2 games, not premiership). and that's sorely lacking in yer average boozer or tabloid rag.

two more things - i'm a media F*****t, too. and i am not a grumpy old man - i'm a grumpy middle-aged man, thank you.

and you're spot on, too, slave. all countries do it, because we're all still less civilised than we'd like to think.

I don't think we disagree. I was disappointed to hear that some people who had other nations flags flying from their cars received rude gestures. What about car flags anyway? Are they naff or are they OK? Personally I'm abivalent. I think in general footie supporters have settled down a lot from the way they were in the 70s when there was much more xenophobia. It's still not like Rugby Union where you get a lot more accommodating spectators. We sing the English songs, then we sing the songs of whoever we're playing.

Another thing on anthems. Why are they always written by third rate musicians? Perhaps good musicians want nothing to do with nationalism and monarchy.

One last thing. Who decided that Land of Hope and Glory was the English national anthem? I suspect it was a marketing manager.

And finally. Don't agree that Crouch is ordinary. He suffers from tallist prejudice.

How are you ambivalent about car flags?

I miss the days where it was either a brass band or a pipe band playing the national anthems and one could sing whatever the hell one liked. I'd dearly love to see the team captains singing the anthem before the game with the results decided by text message voting; in the event of a draw there's no need for penalties, the team with the best sung anthem wins.

Speaking of marketing managers (who I assume must be responsible), I especially enjoy the England rugger fans' singing of 'Swing low sweet chariot' bravely invoking the memories of when their ancestors were jumping up and turning around and picking bales of cotton. Could they have found anything less relevant?

It's 1-1 at the minute. That may explain why it's dead in here (no pun intended).

I believe England only need a draw to win the group. Ooo the suspense....

Now it's 2-1 England.

At least one Scot will be happy...

Edit: He's sad again. It's 2-2.

Now it's 2-1 England.

Hey I'm Still happy :) still no win for Engerland over Sweden Since 1968...Ohh dear...bring on Ecuador

Rock on Henrik !!!

Now it's 2-1 England.

:):):P He should have known better, especially as Henrik Larsson spent so much time playing in Scotland, bet he feels like a 'complete diddy' (copyright 'Only an Excuse')

Are any other footie fans confused about the best place to watch England matches on tv? Town square? Too manic. Pub? Same. Home or at a friend's house? Too boring. From now on, I've decided to watch England's remaining World Cup matches in a torture chamber. That way, as bemusement turned to annoyance, then anger, slow burning to an incandescent rage before settling at idle resentment at Sven's squad selection, first eleven, formation, tactics, in-game adjustments, subs, post-match comments, or any combination thereof, I'd be able to find the solace and sweet, sweet relief that only the Chinese water torture or a spell in an Iron Maiden could bring.

I don't think we disagree. I was disappointed to hear that some people who had other nations flags flying from their cars received rude gestures. What about car flags anyway? Are they naff or are they OK? Personally I'm abivalent. I think in general footie supporters have settled down a lot from the way they were in the 70s when there was much more xenophobia. It's still not like Rugby Union where you get a lot more accommodating spectators. We sing the English songs, then we sing the songs of whoever we're playing.

How are you ambivalent about car flags?

You only did that so I couldn't edit my prediction. To paraphrase Eric Morcambe. I got the number of goals but not necessarily in the right order.

The Ukranians were in fine voice as well of course. :skull:

Well there's no sign of any sort of discord round here. (Though I hear there was a spot of trouble in Dortmund last week.)

Did I mention already how much fun I am having at the moment? It's quite good, this world cup lark.

as it goes, as you're closest to the action it's extremely interesting to hear that things are going well and there's no balls from england fans. maybe godot's righ and the xenophobia is dying down a little. i'd like that to be true, even though i've been grumpy and thought it unlikely.

on the subject of actual play: thank god for stevie g - second goal and a great goal line clearance before that. great goal from joe cole and a hard worked cross for stevie's header, too. wish he'd stop falling over so easily, though. a big concern for england fans per se must be a) their facility for crumbling when they concede, and B) their coach's lack of ideas about attacking. still ambivalent about nationalism, so not so bothered meself.

peter crouch - missed easy chances. only goal in world cup from a header where he tugged the opposition playre down by his dreads. good club man, just not international class. it'll end in tears...

... still ambivalent about nationalism, so not so bothered meself.

Will people kindly stop abusing ambivalent. :skull:

... still ambivalent about nationalism, so not so bothered meself.

Will people kindly stop abusing ambivalent. :skull:

Bollocks TF. There was no abuse in my usage. It was perfectly correct.

TF - i am still ambivalent about nationalism because i loathe its excesses, yet still have a small part of me that likes to see england win at footy because of my love of other things english (see earlier post). in the context of talking about football teams, which we were, i fail to see how i was using it incorrectly. if anything, you mis-interpreted what i was saying just so you could have a pop. it's not my fault you're a bad-tempered git, is it?

I'm currently following the Stanley Cup finals (ice hockey) which Channel 5 - bless 'em!! - are showing live. Maches start at 1am in England and generally last for 3 hours minimum. This makes for a very sleepy ie+... especially when I have to be up during the day to watch the footie.

My deepest sympathy with the outcome of the finals: almost there. From experience I know that getting roaringly pissed helps, for a while.

Welcome to the World Cup. Tonight: Netherlands v Argentina. The match has lost most of its relevance, so it could well turn out an entertaining one.

regards,

Hein

with you on that - has the potential to be the best football so far, and a very good test of how ready the young dutch team (according to our press, anyrate) might be.

meanwhile, back in league one - watch out for martin allen if he does go to carlisle. a very good manager, but very ambitious, and prone to walking out if there's not enough transfer budget (in his opinion). only a madman would apoint hendry after the blackpool debacle. and i take your point about mervyn day, mary, but i'm still unconvinced. maybe you should go for gorman, if he's ready to come back? proven coach and lower level manager, a favoured son of the city, and gets his teams to play attractive football.

maybe you should go for gorman, if he's ready to come back?

Not only ready to come back, but already back! He said to Wycombe he needed time to grieve properly, then became Northampton Town boss the next day. Methinks that would compound the misery. :skull:

On a related AND unrelated note (is that possible?) -

Fixtures are out tomorrow.

Please, Please, Please Fixture Computer:-

Arsenal (a) or Watford (h) for our (the mighty Reading FC) first Premiership game. Please not Chelsea (a).