Portugal 1 Netherlands 0

What a balls up that was, eh? Geez! I think my favourite line of ITV commentary was, during the 2nd half, when the ref stopped (for some reason) rather abruptly, and the commentator said something along the lines of: "Wait! I think the ref's just been advised there are still three players on the pitch who haven't been booked yet."

Commisserations to Mr Hein. ;)

There should have been at least two or three more off - Figo for Portugal, Sneijder & Robben for Holland. Very disappointed by Holland's tactics - not giving the ball back, flinging & falling over from start to finish, niggly fouls everywhere.

Yes, Portugal did that as well, but I expected them too. I had hoped Holland would not join them. Holland not only joined them, but started it!

;)

Gripping game, though. I think the only time there's been a worse-tempered match was the "Battle of Santiago" between Chile & Italy in 1962. In that game there were kung-fu kicks, broken jaws, riot police on the pitch, numerous fights from start to finish, the ref never reffed again..... and only three sent off - this in a day before yellow & red cards, when only the very worst fouls got dismissals.

From a DL point of view, maybe Scolari is an interesting outside choice, given his blood pressure levels in this game. ;)

Blimey!

Trouble is, neither boring old England or dirty old Portugal deserve a semi final place, when the likes of Mexico & Ivory Coast are out, but so be it. Bring on the next game!!!!

Commisserations to Mr Hein. ;)

Thank you, I appreciate it. I think you know the pain.

In my current emotional state I'm not fit to comment on the match. Denial, anger and disappointment fight for first place. I never realised I had such emotional investment in this World Cup until my GF noticed I cried after the final whistle.

More tomorrow.

regards,

Hein

Portugal 1 Netherlands 0

What a fabulously bad tempered game that was, four players sent off, 16 yellow cards, equalling the record for a World Cup match.

All it needed was for a mass fist fight to break out, that ref was somewhat of a yellow card nutter, still it made for interesting viewing.

All those Portuguese yellow cards are good news for England.

Good to see some 'old school' rugger style 'biffo' for a change. Also nice to see enjoyed the game Tempus, hasn't your opinion of football changed somewhat?

Portugal 1 Netherlands 0

What a fabulously bad tempered game that was, four players sent off, 16 yellow cards, equalling the record for a World Cup match.

All it needed was for a mass fist fight to break out, that ref was somewhat of a yellow card nutter, still it made for interesting viewing.

Good to see some 'old school' rugger style 'biffo' for a change. Also nice to see enjoyed the game Tempus, hasn't your opinion of football changed somewhat?

I do loathe League football, doesn't interest me at all, but big sporting occasions such as the World Cup can be quite entertaining. Especially during the knockout phase, as a neutral I just enjoy a good spectacle. Which was more than adequately provided for in that particular match.

Portugal 1 Netherlands 0

I do loathe League football, doesn't interest me at all, but big sporting occasions such as the World Cup can be quite entertaining. Especially during the knockout phase, as a neutral I just enjoy a good spectacle. Which was more than adequately provided for in that particular match.

If that pun was intended, I award you good sir, the Clive James Medal for services to cleverity. ;)

Indeed, have been trying to limit my watching of games where I'm a neutral in the interests of getting some work done. Did - however - check out Australia vs Croatia and Portugal vs Holland and was mighty entertained by each. Thought Graham Poll's nightmare in the first game hilarious and with so many players on cautions, Ronaldo - maybe - still hobbling and Deco out of the action Portugal might just be beatable for England.

Wouldn't fancy us against Brazil in the semis if we did mind.

John Carver has pledged his immediate future to Leeds United leaving Mervyn Day something of a clear front runner for the vacant Carlisle job although the rumours of Peter Reid won't go away.

Looks like the biggest news of the day will be the appointment of Paul Tisdale as Exeter City boss, after a hugely successful spell at Team Bath. One wonders what Mr. DDT thinks of this.

Looks like the biggest news of the day will be the appointment of Paul Tisdale as Exeter City boss, after a hugely successful spell at Team Bath. One wonders what Mr. DDT thinks of this.

I think it could have been worse, Graham "I honestly thought she was 16 Officer" Rix was seen hanging around last week.

A brilliant quote from Big Phil Scolari, excusing Figo's headbut " "Jesus said we should turn the other cheek, unfortunately, Figo is not Jesus Christ." So that's allright then.

That's one of the great quotes. Rank alongside; 'The secret of management is keeping the five guys who hate you away from the six that aren't sure.' Jock Stein.

Does anyone else have a problem with the word "tempo"? I noticed that commentators and panels discovered it a few months ago and have used nothing else since. Typically you will hear "the game needs a bit more tempo" or "they're lacking tempo". At first I thought it was new Brazlian player. It's tempo this and tempo that all the bloody time. For goodness sake someone give them a new word.

Godildo

Assuming England start the same line up against Portugal as took the field yesterday, I reckon they'd be worth a goal start with their Brazilian names on the shirts:

Paao/Hargreavimo/Ferdinosco/Teca/Ashlildo/Claudio Beckhson/Carrinhosa/Lamphino/Gerrao/Colincha/Wayniano

Does anyone else have a problem with the word "tempo"? I noticed that commentators and panels discovered it a few months ago and have used nothing else since. Typically you will hear "the game needs a bit more tempo" or "they're lacking tempo". At first I thought it was new Brazlian player. It's tempo this and tempo that all the bloody time. For goodness sake someone give them a new word.

Godildo

I have a problem with the commentators on ESPN at the moment.

At one point it would be one-nil to Germany, a few minutes later it would be described one-nothing and in some cases one-zip. One of the commentators keeps on yelling "It's a P.K!!!" and my biggest pet peeve at the moment is when either or both goalies keep a clean sheet, they constantly refer to it as a shutout.

Oh and on several occasions I've heard the linesmen being called referees ;);):rip::rip:

Godildo

Godot,

Since I'm stuck at work and having to resort to watching the reports on the BBC site for the Italy Vs Australia match. I thought this snippet from the BBC site would make your day

5 mins: A spiky start by Australia and it's bubbling up quite nicely. The Italians too seem to have committed themselves to a more up-tempo approach, but are being out-hustled in midfield.

:D

5 mins: A spiky start by Australia and it's bubbling up quite nicely. The Italians too seem to have committed themselves to a more up-tempo approach, but are being out-hustled in midfield.

What's a "spiky" start?

Just came across this article about a one-armed man who played for Uruguay in the 1930s. I guess it would reduce the chance of an accidental hand-ball, but he'd be crap at throw-ins.

What's a "spiky" start?

It's where they won the toss, and elected to play on a field of thistles. Eeyore would win that one hands (hooves?) down.

Hope this helps,

What's a "spiky" start?

Dunno, not sure in what context it is meant.

Just came across this article about a one-armed man who played for Uruguay in the 1930s. I guess it would reduce the chance of an accidental hand-ball, but he'd be crap at throw-ins.

I believe a player with one hand was selected for the Angola team for this World Cup (it was blown off by a landmine when he was a nipper) , he had to withdraw because of a broken thumb on his other hand. I kid you not. :D

Reminds me of the guy with no arms and no legs who set off to swim the channel. Had to give up two miles short because he got cramp in one ear and ended up swimming in circles.

Well, he scored a winning goal in the World Cup Final, so maybe there is some advantage to this one-armed lark after all........

Commisserations to Mr Hein. :D

Thank you, I appreciate it. I think you know the pain.

In my current emotional state I'm not fit to comment on the match. Denial, anger and disappointment fight for first place. I never realised I had such emotional investment in this World Cup until my GF noticed I cried after the final whistle.

More tomorrow.

regards,

Hein

I could tell you an interesting story, Hein.

I sha'n't. Not here anyway, but I could.

On the bright side Hein, Holland managed to get Portugal some red cards. Making it even easier for England to get to the finals.

Now alls that they have to do is pull their fingers out...

(Or at least thats my analysis)

Italian penalty sees off Australia as the last kick of the match. Absolutely gutted. Sick as a Parrot, etc. :D

Italian penalty sees off Australia as the last kick of the match. Absolutely gutted. Sick as a Parrot, etc. :D

After dominating much of the game, they lose to ten man Italy on an iffy pen in the last minute. Welcome to the world of international football, Oz. Tough luck.