1-1 after extra time. Italy on penalties.

A jumbo jet manned by Al-Quaeda terrorists to fly in to the stadium, blowing everyone to pieces. ;)

Well, another bloody prediction gone arse over tit. Only 2 more chances, so here we go. Germany 3 Portugal 1. (time to rush out and get your cash on portugal winning 2-0)

Bravo HCW! I hope you had lots of money on that one!

clap2.gifclap.gifclap2.gifclap.gifclap2.gif

Thanks Captain, not a penny/€uro/cent. dammit, story of my life ;) .

Never mind, how about a prediction for the big final, erm....... France 2 - Italy 2 aet, France to win on penalties.

What does everyone else think?

Close, but no cigar

1-1 after extra time. Italy on penalties.

Excellent call Godot.

Aye respect Godot, so who's gonna die next?

Aye respect Godot, so who's gonna die next?

Thanks boys, my prediction was very much inspired by the Italian game.

RIP World Cup football, 1930 - 2006. It's been 16 years in coming, ever since Benjamin Massing's horror tackle against Argentina in the first game of the 1990 tournament, a competition that ended with the nightmare that was W. Germany's 1-0 final win over Argentina (the first time both teams didn't score in a WC final). When the player of the current generation, Zinedine Zidane, inexplicably poleaxed Matterazi in the chest last night the beautiful game died on the vine, at the highest level, anyway.

Let's hope the general attacking spirit and flair the African teams demonstrated before all being knocked out this year will lead to a rebirth of sorts four years from now. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Football [soccer] dead? I doubt it, more's the pity. I found any of the games (no more than 10 mins at a time) that I watched utterly boring, the only excitement being the penalty shoot outs. Maybe they should all be played like that. Or give up the offside rule, allow the players to pick the ball up and run with it, and physically tackle each other. Might draw the line at head butting one another though.

RIP World Cup football, 1930 - 2006. It's been 16 years in coming, ever since Benjamin Massing's horror tackle against Argentina in the first game of the 1990 tournament, a competition that ended with the nightmare that was W. Germany's 1-0 final win over Argentina (the first time both teams didn't score in a WC final). When the player of the current generation, Zinedine Zidane, inexplicably poleaxed Matterazi in the chest last night the beautiful game died on the vine, at the highest level, anyway.

Let's hope the general attacking spirit and flair the African teams demonstrated before all being knocked out this year will lead to a rebirth of sorts four years from now. But I wouldn't bet on it.

There's always Euro 2008!! :)

That's still a long time, fortunately. I can do with some time without football.

regards,

Hein

There's always Euro 2008!! :)

Not for us there isn't, we have both France and Italy in our qualifying group :) .

I didn't think that it was that bad a tournament. There were some

great goals.

The Best World Cup is always the one when you're 6-10 anyway (in my case 1982).

I must admit that 2006 does bear some relation to Italia '90.

They'll have to change the rules a touch. Try and up the pace a bit.

Too many stoppages for non-existant injuries etc, etc.

I think the media are a bit down because England were shite. They all thought

that is was going to be the one. Turned out to be the same as before.

It comes to pass when the Germans are the exciting team....

Euro 2008!!!!

League One kicks off on August 5th.

Carlisle are at home to Doncaster Rovers.

Euro 2008!!!!

League One kicks off on August 5th.

Carlisle are at home to Doncaster Rovers.

Exeter City started their pre-season tonight with a 5-0 victory away to Holsworthy Town.

Luckily neither team sent players to the World Cup, so post-tournament fatigue wasn't an issue.

oh slave, you just don't get the joking about gay footballers, do you?

Oh Pulp, you just don't get the sarcasm about the joking about gay footballers, do you?

Lip readers have now determined conclusively what Materazzi said to Zidane. It translates into English as

"Hey, Zizi, don't forget that little arrangement we had that you would get yourself sent off in extra time!"

RIP World Cup football, 1930 - 2006. It's been 16 years in coming, ever since Benjamin Massing's horror tackle against Argentina in the first game of the 1990 tournament..

The Cameroon tackle, especially following the 2 missed attempts previously during Canniega's run is exactly the sort of flair we need in World Cups.

Fifa's constant attempts to make the game a non contact sport is what runied the group games with the bigger teams getting the decisions and turning everyone off...

Let's have more passion, more fouls, more flair - as an England fan we cannot possibly play with any less passion than we did this time...

RIP World Cup football, 1930 - 2006. It's been 16 years in coming, ever since Benjamin Massing's horror tackle against Argentina in the first game of the 1990 tournament..

The Cameroon tackle, especially following the 2 missed attempts previously during Canniega's run is exactly the sort of flair we need in World Cups.

Fifa's constant attempts to make the game a non contact sport is what runied the group games with the bigger teams getting the decisions and turning everyone off...

Let's have more passion, more fouls, more flair - as an England fan we cannot possibly play with any less passion than we did this time...

Actually Morty, come to think of it, you're right. That tackle was fairly hilarious, especially as it was against not only the Argies, but a particularly dislikeable character such as Caniggia.

Unfortunately, for me that match was the one that showed lesser teams that if you just shut up shop, close down the oppo, and try to nick a lucky goal (in that match it was a hilarious blunder by Pumpido in the Argentine goal) or take it to pens, you can win a football match, something that we've been seeing at World Cups ever since.

DDT, what league do Holsworthy Town usually inhabit. I tried Googling Holsworthy Town and got the town's web site and stuff about the town band on the first page. When I added FC I turned up a local paper story about their keeper getting married.

I mean, not to disrespect yer 5-0 victory or owt but, were you lining up against a pub team?

Lip readers have now determined conclusively what Materazzi said to Zidane. It translates into English as

"Hey, Zizi, don't forget that little arrangement we had that you would get yourself sent off in extra time!"

I thought he said " Oi, Zidane, you're playing so sh*t, you wouldn't even get a game with Manchester United"

oh slave i usually get sarcasm, but not with you. i think it's just because i don't like you or what you have to say very much. so let's leave it at that and i'll promise to ignore your posts if you do mine.

oh slave i usually get sarcasm, but not with you. i think it's just because i don't like you or what you have to say very much. so let's leave it at that and i'll promise to ignore your posts if you do mine.

Pulphack, as it happens, I've been ignoring your posts for a some time now as I find the great tracts of unpunctuated text not worthy of the effort required to read them, so it certainly won't be any hardship for me.

DDT, what league do Holsworthy Town usually inhabit. I tried Googling Holsworthy Town and got the town's web site and stuff about the town band on the first page. When I added FC I turned up a local paper story about their keeper getting married.

I mean, not to disrespect yer 5-0 victory or owt but, were you lining up against a pub team?

A pub team!! Heaven forbid !

Holsworthy are stalwards of the Axworthys' Devon League. They compete against the greatness of Cullompton Rangers, Witheridge, Elburton Villa and Budleigh Salterton Athletic.

I would concede however that none of their players have ever been paid a wage for their art.

Holsworthy is my home town, although I feel a little uneasy about admitting this. I feel even more uneasy about telling you that the married goalkeeper you referred to is a relative of mine. :lol:

I feel even more uneasy about telling you that the married goalkeeper you referred to is a relative of mine

Well, your relative is more famous than his team if my 30 seconds of detailed Internet research is anything to go by. Man, my relatives dream of being good enough to play for a team like Holsworthy Town. One relative of mine was a brilliant young triathlete, he had strength and stamina you wouldn't believe but in the end it came in more handy helping him recover from a car crash. Other than that the family have produced no sporting champions of note. I ambled round a few marathons in my younger days.