Yes, and you STILL should've f*****g beaten Man Utd in the FA Cup!!!

Why do you keep harping on about this? We don't care about the FA Cup this season, that's why we put the reserves in for every game. So, if we don't care, why should anyone else? Maybe in two or three years, but not now.

Coppell has also gone on record as saying we don't want to be in the UEFA Cup next year, and such an unusual statement might be tantamount for fan backlash. Not at Reading, where we just build & build, step-by-step, the Coppell Way. Where we are now would be a magnificent achievement come May.

A long cup run would've damaged all that. :crossbone:

Good point. Look at the 'success' of Southampton, Millwall and West Ham. They reached the cup final, they lose, the expectation rises, the players get full of themselves, they struggle, they get relegated. Entering the UEFA cup can be a bit of a curse as well...

Too true but unfortunately if you don't have a Russian/Arab/Yank* financial magnate behind you, then you have to try to get as many televised matches as possible. It is all about the money these days. Those who have and those who have not. I can safely say our players did not get full of themselves, we had managerial problems. We were relegated 2 seasons after so it is not really a knock on effect, besides which getting to Cardiff was half of the enjoyment for the fans. Everyone loves an underdog, FA cup finals between two big hitters don't have the same appeal. My fingers are crossed for a Watford v Blackburn final.

I am of course biased in the same way everyone else is on here towards Everton, Reading etc. That's what it is all about. Comic rivalry.

*delete as appropriate.

MIB, the other thing you have to remember is that Coppell only buys players for the long-term & for a particular reason. If we got into the UEFA Cup then he'd HAVE to bring special people in (probably higher paid & foreign) that would disrupt the whole balance of the squad. That's why Halford, the record £2m signing for us, is only making his FULL debut TWO months after joining us.

Coppell speaks on UEFA Cup pitfalls - using Ipswich as an example...

Wily old fox, Coppell. It's testament to what's he done that we trust in him completely. and he's done all this on relatively very little money.

When we get £50m for staying in the Premiership, you can't really argue that any TV money from a cup final makes any difference. And the longer we stay in the Premiership, the more money we get, so it's got to come first, cups second.

We have to upgrade the ground, wages etc keeps spiralling, so even though £50m is an obscene amount of money, we need it right now.

Ask any Watford fan (and I have - I know loads), and they'll say they'd rather stay up then be in the Cup Final if they had the choice at the start of the season. Some still do now. But they'll be back up again next year, as long as they keep Bothroyd. He knows they've been going down for a while & is prepared for it.

On the subject of Southampton, even us at the Madejski have to clap a 0-6 away win for them at Wolves. :crossbone:

On the subject of Southampton, even us at the Madejski have to clap a 0-6 away win for them at Wolves. :crossbone:

Very Madejestic of you. You'd never catch a scummer doing that. What's it like when you play at Chav Central Fratton park.

When I was just a little boy, I asked my mother what should I be. Should I be Pompey? Should I be Royal? here's what she said to me.... wash your mouth out son, go get your father's gun and shoot those pompey scum, and support the Royals. WE HATE POMPEY WE HATE POMPEY WE HATE POMPEY!

Works just as well as Saints, though Fratton park falling down and building up with er, blue and white doesn't.

Best thing about Portsmouth? The M275. Northbound.

What's it like when you play at Chav Central Fratton park.

I like Fratton Park as it's one of the few "old" grounds left in the top flight, like Fulham's. Many of the others are like Lego stadiums - the Emirates just isn't the same as Highbury, and I expect the new Wembley won't be the same either.

But I only like Fratton Park if it's late April or Aug/Sep when we play there - otherwise it's bitterly cold brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

MIB, the other thing you have to remember is that Coppell only buys players for the long-term & for a particular reason. If we got into the UEFA Cup then he'd HAVE to bring special people in (probably higher paid & foreign) that would disrupt the whole balance of the squad. That's why Halford, the record £2m signing for us, is only making his FULL debut TWO months after joining us.

Coppell speaks on UEFA Cup pitfalls - using Ipswich as an example...

Wily old fox, Coppell. It's testament to what's he done that we trust in him completely. and he's done all this on relatively very little money.

When we get £50m for staying in the Premiership, you can't really argue that any TV money from a cup final makes any difference. And the longer we stay in the Premiership, the more money we get, so it's got to come first, cups second.

We have to upgrade the ground, wages etc keeps spiralling, so even though £50m is an obscene amount of money, we need it right now.

Ask any Watford fan (and I have - I know loads), and they'll say they'd rather stay up then be in the Cup Final if they had the choice at the start of the season. Some still do now. But they'll be back up again next year, as long as they keep Bothroyd. He knows they've been going down for a while & is prepared for it.

On the subject of Southampton, even us at the Madejski have to clap a 0-6 away win for them at Wolves. :blink:

I saw that match on 'The Championship', as close to a freak game as I've ever seen! It wasn't that Wolves played particularly badly, it's just that everything went wrong for them and right for the Saints (OG/missed penalty/wonder goal etc). Football is indeed a funny game... :party:

Remember though, every other team that stays in the Premiership will get a share, the difference is what you do with it....

I'm going to pay to watch the Man City v Charlton game on Prem Plus tomorrow; first time I've shelled out for a one off game due to it being such a rip-off compared to the price of a Prem Plus season ticket.

However, it's still cheaper than going down the pub to watch it (cheaper than me going to the pub to watch it at any rate, I'm genetically incapable of nursing a pint for 2+ hours), plus I'll get to watch it properly and won't have to find somewhere to hide my shame if/when it all goes pear shaped. :huh: I'm still worried that our recent form will just revive and then re-dash my hopes of survival; 2 months ago I'd already accepted relegation but now there's a chance of staying up and all of the pain has returned. Still, it makes the season exciting, though on balance I'd still rather be moaning about a dip of form in the last 10 games leading to mid-table obscurity instead of a fight for a UEFA place. Again.

Come on the Robins!

Think in terms of combining the shouting of our inspired nickname with some aggressive Tim Henman style fist-shaking and you'll achieve my desired effect. :)

I've a fixture pile up next week;

Monday: Bradford City v Oldham, hopefully Oldham will put a nail into the relegation coffin of the Bantams.

Tuesday: Ringside seats for Manchester United v Roma.

Sunday: Ringside seats again for Chelsea v Blackburn, hopefully Blackburn will manage to turn the rich boys over.

Funny thing is, I'm not that mad about football :huh: , it's all about the experience.

Monday: Bradford City v Oldham, hopefully Oldham will put a nail into the relegation coffin of the Bantams.

Sunday: Ringside seats again for Chelsea v Blackburn, hopefully Blackburn will manage to turn the rich boys over.

Funny thing is, I'm not that mad about football :huh: , it's all about the experience.

you're actually going to all these games?

Think in terms of ... aggressive ... Tim Henman

No, I just can't see it.

Yes, the Bradford v Oldham is an annual thing and my girlfriend's father's managed to acquire tickets for the Roma and Chelsea games. :)

Yes, the Bradford v Oldham is an annual thing and my girlfriend's father's managed to acquire tickets for the Roma and Chelsea games. :)

If he keeps providing tickets for OT and Stamford Bridge, you better get that ring!

;)

If he keeps providing tickets for OT and Stamford Bridge, you better get that ring!

;)

The Chelsea game is the FA Cup semi final, it's at Old Trafford.

Yes, the Bradford v Oldham is an annual thing and my girlfriend's father's managed to acquire tickets for the Roma and Chelsea games. ;)

;)

Of course, of course. How silly of me... :)

Still...FA Semi-Final, you lucky so-and-so!

:)

Yes, the Bradford v Oldham is an annual thing and my girlfriend's father's managed to acquire tickets for the Roma and Chelsea games. ;)

;)

Of course, of course. How silly of me... :)

Still...FA Semi-Final, you lucky so-and-so!

Yep, I have to admit both the Old Trafford ticket offers came out of the blue, I'd be a fool not to take them.

Well , Im off to Victoria Road (400 mile round trip) to see the Mighty Dagenham clinch promotion to the football league !

Lee Peatfield, ruptured spleen and serious bowel damage in a reserve game.

Kinda reminds us why this thread might be relevant from time to time.

Not at all embarrassed to see that just before Charlton v Reading kicks off we (Charlton) have got a Freddy Mercury look-a-bit-like-if-you-squint singing 'We Will Rock You' on the pitch, presumably to inspire the crowd or some such bollocks....

Surely our crowd should get worked up because there's a fair chance of Premier League survival now, after months of being resigned to relegation? You'd think that'd be enough. :ph34r:

Man U 5 Roma 0 after 50 odd minutes. Crivens!

Almost good enough to make me not want to strangle David Pleat mid-commentary.

Make that 6-0 in 60 mins. That's got to be worth a Jings!

Still want to strangle Pleat though.

Man U 5 Roma 0 after 50 odd minutes. Crivens!

Almost good enough to make me not want to strangle David Pleat mid-commentary.

Make that 6-0 in 60 mins. That's got to be worth a Jings!

Still want to strangle Pleat though.

Let them think they have it won..... :)

I sat in Old Trafford last night and watched Italian Football die, or was it murdered?

I sat in Old Trafford last night and watched Italian Football die, or was it murdered?

Oh blimey, that was the match you got free tickets for!

Let me remind you that it doesn't happen like that at every match at OT....

if the manner of Italy's "triumph" at the World Cup, or the current state of the scudetto, are anything to go by, then good riddance I say. Catenaccio - Italian for "we're a boring bunch of bastards".

if the manner of Italy's "triumph" at the World Cup, or the current state of the scudetto, are anything to go by, then good riddance I say. Catenaccio - Italian for "we're a boring bunch of bastards".

There was no Catenaccio last night that's for sure. It makes up for sitting in a bar in Southern France watching them fluke the World Cup. Ciao Italia :referee:

Football and death, sort of thing.

Scarboro Athletic are on the way out.

There's a kind of history there for Carlisle fans like meself, our ex-manager, who left under a cloud went on to take them to the play-offs, their greatest achievement. And, of course, the famous Jimmy Glass goal that saved our league status, ended theirs.