So farewell to Torquay, relegated from the Football League and leaving Plymouth Argyle, The Great Satan, as Devon's only remaining league team.

Whilst some Premiership teams complain about fixture congestion, spare a thought for Northwich Victoria, who are going to need to complete their 9 remaining fixtures in the next 18 days!

i think torquay will bounce back. hope so anyway.

Aye, sympathy to them. Played well at Carlisle last year when our championship and their survival were both at stake in our final home game. They beat us fair and square and a load of us ended our traditional end of season pitch invasion by advancing on the Torquay support and applauding them.

Check this bit of genius by Lionel Messi..

:(

Oy, TMIB, no posting 21 year old highlights on the DL!

This is probably my favourite sports highlight of the year thus far, painful as it may be to any England fan.

Here's a somewhat sharper picture version, along with a blow-by-blow comparison to the earlier efforts of a strong 2008 candidate.

Stop me if you think that you've seen this one before

If history does indeed repeat itself then Messi will get my vote for Deathlist 2030, assuming my maths is correct.

maradona-vs-messi

Sorry that it has no commentry in Swahili, Cantonese or indeed Catalan. I feel I am letting the cultural side of this thread down with an Eminem pastiche.

Guest Guest

butcher, reid and fenwick not involved. theres NO comparison, dudes.

butcher, reid and fenwick not involved. theres NO comparison, dudes.

Yeah, the Getafe defenders are much better!

:blink:

get on Reading! done us boys a favour, can't even beat West Ham eh.... oh well. mid-table obscurity/uefa cup hopefulls again :)

get on Reading! done us boys a favour, can't even beat West Ham eh.... oh well. mid-table obscurity/uefa cup hopefulls again :)

Yes - what a result, :) but trouble is we're now heading for Europe when we didn't want it... sh*t! Ah well, i think we should just enjoy the ride.

Only just got in so only taken a quick glance but looks like Leeds are doomed & Colchester & Jamie Cureton have done it again! MPFC may be weeping in his cornflakes as Carlisle's recent rapid play-off chase was dented big-time by Bristol City...

Football is shite. You should be ashamed. :)

Football is shite?!?

You a Rugger follower or do you just sit at home and darn ur friggin socks..............

Yes - what a result, :) but trouble is we're now heading for Europe when we didn't want it... sh*t! Ah well, i think we should just enjoy the ride.

Only just got in so only taken a quick glance but looks like Leeds are doomed & Colchester & Jamie Cureton have done it again! MPFC may be weeping in his cornflakes as Carlisle's recent rapid play-off chase was dented big-time by Bristol City...

Hmmm..'tis the poisoned chalice the UEFA placings...

Looks like the Foxes should avoid third-tier ignominy, so well done to them!

Only ten teams in the League have not been in the third tier, and they are...?

I'd like to suggest Everton and Aston Villa but I'd also like to get clarification on how far back we are going - weren't there southern and northern divisions at the turn of last century - though these may be equal to the third division a.k.a League one these days, I'm not sure. I think we should petition the FA to reinstate Div 1 through 4. It's more like a non-competitive sports day these days with league ONE actually being the third divsion...does this happen anywhere else in the world...?

I'd like to suggest Everton and Aston Villa but I'd also like to get clarification on how far back we are going - weren't there southern and northern divisions at the turn of last century - though these may be equal to the third division a.k.a League one these days, I'm not sure. I think we should petition the FA to reinstate Div 1 through 4. It's more like a non-competitive sports day these days with league ONE actually being the third divsion...does this happen anywhere else in the world...?

After coming up with a few more potentials I decided to hit google - it really does depend on your source of information.

What I did find is that in the begining (Genesis 1888 - 1889) the football league was found and it was good. In the first season there were 12 clubs and they were good.

Preston NE, Villa, Wolves, Everton, Blackburn, Bolton, WBA, Accrington (who are they?), Burnley, Derby, Notts County, Stoke.

I'm not sure on what day Accrington rested but I guess it's a case of eliminating a few from the list (though I suspect that will only leave me with Everton - I've subsequently been told that Villa have had a few seasons in Hades).

Hence I am guessing there is a cut of point and we're not supposed to start from the founding of the league after all...

I'm still sticking with Everton though.

Ah.. but MIB, you've shot yourself in the foot here...

There is one league team, who after being promoted from the non-league, has also not been in the third tier, having stayed down at the 4th :)

So the list is:

TOP TWO TIERS ONLY: Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Leeds United (not for long), Leicester City, Liverpool, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham United.

FOURTH TIER ONLY: Boston United

I await my prize in the post.

PS Thanks to Rothmans Football Yearbook :)

There is one league team, who after being promoted from the non-league, has also not been in the third tier, having stayed down at the 4th :)

So the list is:

TOP TWO TIERS ONLY: Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Leeds United (not for long), Leicester City, Liverpool, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur, West Ham United.

I came up with exactly the same list from football365 by scrolling down the division distribution historical stats but out of those only Everton was in the original league. Hence my queries above that no time frame was provided. Were any of the ten teams in other divisions before they expanded into 2/3 tiers - i.e. midlands/north/south divisions.

Sorry for the pedantics, as a researcher it's a force of habit to scrutinise every detail to the nth degree. Which never fails to carry on into life outside of the lab, anyone agree with me here?

I came up with exactly the same list from football365 by scrolling down the division distribution historical stats but no time frame was provided. Were any of the ten teams in other divisions before they expanded into 2/3 tiers - i.e. midlands/north/south divisions.

No.

From joining the league, all the ten top teams have been in a league that is counted as either the 1st or 2nd tier at that time. Boston have only been in the fourth tier as a league club.

None of them have been in Division 3, Division 3 (s), Division 3 (North), League 1, 2nd Division etc etc etc.

Timeframes don't even come into it. :)

So the list is:

Give that man a cigar! :P

Actually the Boston Utd stat would be a good one to bamboozle less football-savvy gentlemen (and women), that's providing they stay in the Football League of course...

Now I've heard that Hartlepool could win their first prize of any kind if they go on to win League Two. I'm wondering who are the least successful team in the Football League. Don't include those fly-by-night teams such as Maidstone Utd and Scarborough, but ones who have been in the League a fair bit but without a bauble to their name...over to you OoO...

So the list is:

Actually the Boston Utd stat would be a good one to bamboozle less football-savvy gentlemen (and women), that's providing they stay in the Football League of course...

Now I've heard that Hartlepool could win their first prize of any kind if they go on to win League Two. I'm wondering who are the least successful team in the Football League. Don't include those fly-by-night teams such as Maidstone Utd and Scarborough, but ones who have been in the League a fair bit but without a bauble to their name...over to you OoO...

well im gonna go for Middlesbrough. After forming in 1876, all they have to their name is winning the Old 2nd division three times, winning the new 1st division in 1995, and the more recent League Cup win with McLaren in 2004. and um, thats pretty much it.

considering an average crowd of about 35,000 - Middlesbrough have to be up there with most unsuccessful, especially compared with loyalty from supporters. 1 Mickey Mouse Cup and a few promotions in over 125 years?

So the list is:

well im gonna go for Middlesbrough. After forming in 1876, all they have to their name is winning the Old 2nd division three times, winning the new 1st division in 1995, and the more recent League Cup win with McLaren in 2004. and um, thats pretty much it.

considering an average crowd of about 35,000 - Middlesbrough have to be up there with most unsuccessful, especially compared with loyalty from supporters. 1 Mickey Mouse Cup and a few promotions in over 125 years?

They all count in the end, those divisional championships and a League Cup is better than diddley...

I suppose there's a way of constructing a system which awards points for league positions, promotions, trophies, even minor ones such as the Watney Cup, as well as minus ones for relegations and so on. I'm thinking Torquay were not particularly successful, and are now ultimately out of the Football League all together...

So the list is:

They all count in the end, those divisional championships and a League Cup is better than diddley...

I suppose there's a way of constructing a system which awards points for league positions, promotions, trophies, even minor ones such as the Watney Cup, as well as minus ones for relegations and so on. I'm thinking Torquay were not particularly successful, and are now ultimately out of the Football League all together...

Halifax Town didn't pull up any trees and they were a league side for a long time.

I'm wondering who are the least successful team in the Football League. Don't include those fly-by-night teams such as Maidstone Utd and Scarborough, but ones who have been in the League a fair bit but without a bauble to their name..

Halifax Town didn't pull up any trees and they were a league side for a long time.

Judging by the replies, it seems you need some kind of criteria as to what defines unsuccessful. And are we talking about former league clubs who were in the football league for a while before?

I mean, it can be argued that Reading haven't been that successful, considering how long we've been in the league, as we have won lots at lower level, but not much at higher.

But if you're referring to current league teams that have never won a League Championship of any sort:-

Accrington Stanley, 42 seasons, 0 titles

Barnet: 12 seasons, 0 titles

Boston United, 5 seasons, 0 titles

Cheltenham Town, 8 seasons, 0 titles

Chester City, 72 seaons, 0 titles, 1 Cup (Debenhams Cup)

Colchester United, 56 seasons, 0 titles

Crewe Alexandra, 90 seasons, 0 titles

Hartlepool United, 86 seasons, 0 titles

Macclesfield Town, 10 seasons, 0 titles

* MK Dons - but their records are counted under Wimbledon*

Rochdale, 86 seasons, 0 titles

Torquay Utd, 80 seasons, 0 titles

Wycombe Wanderers, 14 seasons, 0 titles

Other Candidates:

Bournemouth, 85 seasons, 1 title (Div 3), 1 Cup (Associate Members Cup)

Gillingham, 75 seasons, 1 title (Div 4)

Exeter City, 75 seasons, 1 title (Div 4)

Shrewsbury Town, 56 seasons, 1 title (Div 3)

Tranmere Rovers, 86 seasons, 1 title (Div 3N), 1 Cup (Leyland Daf)

Walsall, 94 seasons, 1 title (Div 4)

Halifax Town, 69 seasons, 0 titles

Aldershot, 52 seaons, 0 titles

Barrow, 44 seasons, 0 titles

Gateshead, 34 seaons, 0 titles

Then there's a whole load of former league teams who have played less than 30 seasons in the league & won nothing, but the worst culprits are above.

So, if Hartlepool win their title, and considering Crewe have been at a higher level, it's probably fair to say Rochdale are the least successful club, given time & success.

I'm wondering who are the least successful team in the Football League.

I've followed English football since about 1977, and would therefore have to say Newcastle

According to this, the Queen is an Arsenal supporter.

According to this, the Queen is an Arsenal supporter.

How fitting.

A German/Greek Dynasty lording over us all, supporting a team full of foreigners..............

..." Hes got no hair but we dont care, Martin, Martin Jol.."