You'd have to exhume the body to see if he was buried in his wedding dress. :P

Sorry, I thought I was on the Jimmy Savile thread then.

I can honestly see Deadly Doug Ellis reaching 100. Wonder what the odds are.

He is one of those people who seem to be able to live through willpower, almost Churchillian.

• Like 1

How can you tell if a Glaswegian football fan is of below average intelligence?

They carry a bit of cloth on a stick, rectangular in shape and with green, white and gold on it :P

Agree with you there Dr. H, fortunately, scsi has never carried a 'bit of cloth on a stick, rectangular in shape and with green, white and gold' nor is he a 'Glaswegian', he is a 'Bankie' and proud of it, I on the other hand am a Glaswegian and a supporter of Celtic FC, I've never carried the 'bit of cloth' you refer to and never will, Celtics colours are green and white, not with the extra gold, that is for bigots, at least talk to us about it before you condemn us.

wonder if swales wore a wig, or just relied on his comb-over?

Either way his image consultant should have been shot on sight. The man had 3 Shredded Wheat on his head.

shredded.jpg

Agree with you there Dr. H, fortunately, scsi has never carried a 'bit of cloth on a stick, rectangular in shape and with green, white and gold' nor is he a 'Glaswegian', he is a 'Bankie' and proud of it, I on the other hand am a Glaswegian and a supporter of Celtic FC, I've never carried the 'bit of cloth' you refer to and never will, Celtics colours are green and white, not with the extra gold, that is for bigots, at least talk to us about it before you condemn us.

Fortunately my team, this year's Scottish Cup runners-up, haven't got enough fans to let such things worry us!

You'll pull a few more regulars once Brendan McGill starts burning up the turf. The nippy little winger would've probably struggled in League One with us but I reckon he'll impress well enough in Gretna's first team next year. Any beer-bellied headcase of a defender will struggle to catch him.

You'll pull a few more regulars once Brendan McGill starts burning up the turf. The nippy little winger would've probably struggled in League One with us but I reckon he'll impress well enough in Gretna's first team next year. Any beer-bellied headcase of a defender will struggle to catch him.

I agree - and it's great to see some players in their 20s signing, rather than th eover the hill brigade.

Can't see much of a problem next season, main issue is the lack of an SPL-compliant stadium, not the quality of the opposition.

On another tack Hackenslash: are you keeping tabs on the ongoing match-fixing investigation involving Carlisle?

There's no suspicion of us but there was a heavy lot of betting from Asia on a League Two fixture where a lot of the bets involved a victory by more than one goal. The game under suspicion is Carlisle 4 Boston 2 earlier this season, with rumours of some Boston players being involved. Karl Hawley's back-heeled goal appears to involve one of their players turning the ball into his net whilst attempting to make a clearance whilst the final goal from Simon Hackney saw their keeper attempting to get out of the way of the ball.

It's almost too bizarre for words and opinion on our message boards is sharply divided about whether it's possible. Oddly, Boston didn't play too badly that day despite the score.

It's a toughie, but the amount of money involved for such a match was ridiculous.

That said, I've always said it's hard to rig football matches unless all 11 players are in on it.

But, then again, millions of pounds from the Far East? Hmm...

Aye, it'd gan a long way in Lincolnshire money like that. To be honest, I'm nonplussed with the whole story. My head says 'possible' my heart says 'no!'

Aye, it'd gan a long way in Lincolnshire money like that. To be honest, I'm nonplussed with the whole story. My head says 'possible' my heart says 'no!'

You have to ask yourself...would anyone from the far East have heard of Carlisle Rovers Albion?

Personally, I only became aware of their existence from MPFC's posts. :P

How can you tell if a Glaswegian football fan is of below average intelligence?

They carry a bit of cloth on a stick, rectangular in shape and with green, white and gold on it :banghead:

Hackenslash...are you so highly strung that you cannot see a joke when it's staring you in the face..or is it that it's actually just YOU that is below average intelligence, I was trying to make a joke and you replied with the above comment.

Vic Barney, who served Reading with great distinction and was one of the last survivors of our record win over Crystal Palace in 1946 died last week on the same day as Dr. Kevin Patrick O'Flanagan, surely one of the more remarkable footballing internationals. Ex-Arsenal & Brentford, also played international rugby, and was of international athletics sprinting ability, chief medical officer for Ireland's sporting teams for aeons & a IOC member. Also not bad at all at golf.

It was because of all that ability he was on my DDP possibles for 2007. Anyway, obit.

In another topic:

I don't actually follow football anyway...
Ah, the standard North of the border cop out when it comes to a World Cup summer... :lol:

[snip]

Of course it is, seeing as we haven't really got a hope in hell.

Have we?

No. Quarter final, tops.

After last Sunday's success for the Dutch U21 team I'm afraid the Dutch side in the World Cup won't get very far either. There's a serious possibility they won't get past the group stage, with such fine opponents as Argentina, Serbia & Montenegro and Ivory Coast.

We can, of course, always hope. After all: Van Basten has yet to lose a match as Dutch manager.

regards,

Hein

Whilst scanning the news stories on google I seen an Irish story reporting that Rooney is clear to play in the world cup.

Let this be the last we hear about his F*****g foot.

Another thing, I'm no Scottish Nationalist but why is it allowed for the St. Georges flag to be flown at Downing Street on match days when on days such as St. Andrew's Day Saltires are not allowed to be flown from some historical Scottish buildings?

The country has gone mad.

In another topic:
I don't actually follow football anyway...
Ah, the standard North of the border cop out when it comes to a World Cup summer... :lol:

[snip]

Of course it is, seeing as we haven't really got a hope in hell.

Have we?

No. Quarter final, tops.

After last Sunday's success for the Dutch U21 team I'm afraid the Dutch side in the World Cup won't get very far either. There's a serious possibility they won't get past the group stage, with such fine opponents as Argentina, Serbia & Montenegro and Ivory Coast.

We can, of course, always hope. After all: Van Basten has yet to lose a match as Dutch manager.

regards,

Hein

In another topic somewhere:

Magere Hein...just how wise and old is this gentleman?

Okay, answer is a resounding 'not very!'

I was being rhetorical (shocking mis-spelling, bit I don't care!)

We're going to win the World Cup, MG.

But Robben might win you the diving cup!

<I think you are exceedingly wise and possibly not so exceedingly old>

That was a whisper, right?

Cool; this is a roar:

C'mon England!

......We're going to win the World Cup, MG.......

.......Cool; this is a roar:

C'mon England!.......

Don't tempt fate BHB! You may not enjoy eating humble pie :lol:

let's look at englands chances realistically. rooney not match fit, just like the last euro finals. owen - looks good so far, but very prone to injury (just like rooney - is it something to do woith them being pushed too much before they've finished developing physically?). crouch - good club striker, but not really international material, is he? a hat-trick against a jamaica who played the first half like they'd been toking in the tunnel is not a decent indicator - and god help him if we go to penalties. goalkeeper and defence are sound, and the midfield is strong on going forward and scoring IF sven's system doesn't have them running into each other.

so the keys here are: a) keeping clear of further injury up front; b)partly as a result of this being able to net enough times; c) hoping robinson doesn't get seamans disease and stray off the line too much (or get injured and let in james, who's a decent keeper but psychologically suspect on the big occassion).

we all know how it'll end: quarter-finals, lose on penalties, probably to germany. especially as they aren't fancied so will come good at the last.

and then everyone will stop getting over-excited, and we can get back to the serious business of preparing for the league season. a gorgeous young hairdresser asked me to explain the offside rule to her today. that's not on! (especially as, like everyone else, i have no idea how it works now)

The World Cup finally begins today! Germany plays Costa Rica in 4 1/2 hours.

With so many excellent teams this year, I am not very optimistic on England's chances of winning the World Cup. Their first game is against Paraguay on Saturday and they have an easy group (Paraguay, Trinidad & Tobago, Sweden), so I expect them to at least advance to the second round.

The World Cup finally begins today! Germany plays Costa Rica in 4 1/2 hours.

With so many excellent teams this year, I am not very optimistic on England's chances of winning the World Cup. Their first game is against Paraguay on Saturday and they have an easy group (Paraguay, Trinidad & Tobago, Sweden), so I expect them to at least advance to the second round.

Tomorrow I think you'll find.

Never mind the World Cup. There are far more important things to discuss.... like how Exeter City's lying ,conniving, cheating, backstabbing, promotion missing scumbag of a manager has walked out on us to become the youth team coach at Tottenham.

Fancy that ! Leaving one of the giants of English football to go to a no hope club like Spurs. The Exeter City fans forum has gone in to meltdown (again)

Thanks for listening, rant over, back to work.

that's typical inglethorpe - he walked out on orient to go to exeter and promotion to manager... er, well, maybe that one WAS a good move... i've got a barnet fanatic mate who felt exactly the same when mad dog went to brentford... and they ended up getting promoted the next season, so maybe it's a good thing.

Managers eh, you can't win.

The problem with Paul Simpson who almost pulled off a miracle (5 pts until mid December after inheriting a dispirited team, play off form thereafter in the season we went down) followed by two successive promotions, is that he's now linked with any vacancy from the middle of the Championship down to the bottom of League One, including some jobs that aren't even vacant yet?

He's a Carlisle lad, he'll stay, I hope.

he will - he's a local hero, and he's got to remember the shabby way rochdale treated him - while he's still on the ascendant he'd be mad to leave.

Did anyone see the 50 greatest World Cup goals on Channel 5 last night? if so, did anyone see the appalling condition Brian Glanville appeared to be in. Used to write for The Times. Can't find much out about his health, but it looked like it might be advanced throat cancer or something.

Any additional info beyond wild speculation over two seconds of a video clip would be appreciated.

• Like 1