Pittswsbut5tgh Styeelers all the way tot annother Suoper Bowl chbpinshiop1.

That's right Bruno, it's not football unless someone picks up the ball and runs with it. Why one would dress up like a moto-cross rider to play is beyond me.

• Like 1

stone me, don't log on for a day and this happens! well, respect to millwall for creating this thread, but i still reckon he was overly stropping about the amount of footy on dickie o - it's mostly mary & me, and we said far more about dickie than most. he also stropped in another thread over five posts on a thread several pages long. sorry to bang on about that, but it did seem a bit toys&pram, and i tend to do the same when that happens.

anyway, i'm now off bloody topic on a football thread! so a quick pointer for our american chums - that gridiron thing is good stuff, but no bugger who picks it up and runs is playing FOOTball.

bhb - i see that keith alexander is tipped to leave lincoln, so maybe you could offload o'bleary to them; then he can really moan about not having a transfer fund. but be warned, if clive woodward has already had one (unnamed) league club come in for him, what's to stop deadly doug getting some bright ideas?

mary's happy - paul simpson's going nowhere. and i'm happy - martin ling's going nowhere, either. now let's see if barry hearne gives lingy a transfer budget or if he's so pleased we went up on free transfers he wants to see if lingy can do it again... i'm desperately trying to think of a 'cunning lingy' pun thing here, but it's not really happening...

Yeah, agree with the above, this thread has given permission for free-flowing football fulminations.

Paul Simpson and Martin Ling are going nowhere other than......up the league!!!!

Yeah, agree with the above, this thread has given permission for free-flowing football fulminations.

Paul Simpson and Martin Ling are going nowhere other than......up the league!!!!

Both things are good aren't they?

We've now got a footie thread on the forum, drag your dutchophile views over that way and we'll enter into intense debate!

Will this be a discussion of European styled football or Americanized?

I personally wouldn't mind but I think it is worth remembering that this thea was originally intended to take pressure ff the Dickie O thread, which has never seen any meintion of (what I am sorry to have torefer to as) American Football.

Why not start a nice little "Dying American Footballer's" thread"?

More topical jokes:

What does the Premiership & a cordless drill have in common?

Neither of them have Leeds.

What do General Pinochet & Sunderland have in common?

They both round people up into football stadiums & torture them.

What's the difference between a Swansea City fan & a coconut?

One's thick & hairy, the other's a tropical fruit.

:P;)

Go STeeLerss!

Go STeeLerss!

Bruno, shouldn't you currently be saying "Go SAbRess!"?

(GO OILERS!)

What does the Premiership & a cordless drill have in common?

Neither of them have Leeds.

I don't find that funny :referee:

Up The Villa!

P.S. Cheers, Millwall....great thread!

Up The Villa!

Up the Villa. Even my mate Jonathan Fear is starting to doubt that one :unsure:

just reminded me of something i saw in a book once (think it was either a python book, o maybe the goodies) - a mock ad:

Up The Rangers: A History Of Rangers Football Club

Right Up The Rangers: A History Of Celtic Football Club

insert your own clubs in the appropriate place.... incidentally, keith alexander has now left lincoln, so the post is open for o'bleary. send him a few threatening letters, bhb, you're no' bad at insults.

Re football books and death (sort of thing)

A title called 'Pointless' has been gathering good reviews, covering a season with East Stirling, officially the UK's worst senior club, known to pay players £10-00 per appearance and generally starting the season with the aim of finishing second bottom of the Scottish League.

If their players were involved in a cup tie that went to extra time and penalties and still got the same appearance money the club would be in breach of the national minimum wage.

just reminded me of something i saw in a book once (think it was either a python book, o maybe the goodies) - a mock ad:

Up The Rangers: A History Of Rangers Football Club

Right Up The Rangers: A History Of Celtic Football Club

Hey, I have one of those books ! Can you guess which one :unsure:

Scsi

How can you tell if a Glaswegian football fan is of below average intelligence?

They carry a bit of cloth on a stick, rectangular in shape and with green, white and gold on it :unsure:

Up The Villa!

Up the Villa. Even my mate Jonathan Fear is starting to doubt that one :unsure:

Do you really know Johnathan Fear? Say hello and shake him by the hand the next time you see him...sterling fellow, is Mister Fear.

Do you really know Johnathan Fear? Say hello and shake him by the hand the next time you see him...sterling fellow, is Mister Fear.

Not only is JP Fear a sterling fellow, he also has one of the greatest surnames in the world.

He'll get Ellis out in the end - have faith!

I'll pass on your regards to him next time I'm in Redditch.

On a death related matter in the football world it's become public knowledge via the release of a report that Mark Philo - influential 21 year old Wycombe midfielder - was well over the drink drive limit when he caused an accident that killed himself and 47 year woman driving another car. This death, and the death of Myra Gorman, wife of manager John Gorman, effectively knackered their hopes of automatic promotion after they'd gone over 20 games unbeaten in League Two.

Philo's behaviour is inexcusable but also an indication that we might bag ourselves the odd high scoring - as in young - DP candidate by keeping our ears open to rumours of footballers who like a drink and a drive.

Gorman - incidentally - has just parted with Wycombe by mutual consent. He's a damn good manager and they didn't want to lose him but he himself has lost it since his wife died and needs some time away. One of the best defenders ever seen in Carlisle's ranks was Gorman. No kiddin' I wish the man well.

Not only is JP Fear a sterling fellow, he also has one of the greatest surnames in the world.

He'll get Ellis out in the end - have faith!

I'll pass on your regards to him next time I'm in Redditch.

Buy him a pint as well!

Oh, and could you please keep repeating this word to him, in a subliminal type whisper:

Assassination.

To those dropping in on the thread and puzzled by references to Doug Ellis, the following Wikipedia wordage is a good introduction to the main points:

In 1996 Doug Ellis owned 47 percent of Aston Villa. In May 1997 Aston Villa floated on the stock market at a valuation of £126m. Ellis sold a number of his shares at flotation, raising around £4m for himself and reducing his shareholding to around one-third of the total shares. Since issue, the club's share price has fallen by almost 90 percent.

Ellis has a reputation as one of English football's most complacent and egotistical chairmen. He caused a storm among supporters in the mid-1990s when the Witton Lane Stand was renamed The Doug Ellis Stand, a change Mr Ellis claimed to know nothing about. Critics point to the fact that other members of the club's board, publicly at least, rarely challenge Mr Ellis' management style and decisions.

Ellis - 82 - has battled prostate cancer and undergone a heart by-pass. He's living proof that Voodoo Dolls don't work. His bank account, rumoured into eight figures, is thought to be pumped up by cash accrued at the expense of serious investment in his football club.

as a matter of interest, does anyone (besides bhb, obviously) have deadly doug tipped for demise? he should have been down and out a long while back. or is there something about becoming a chairman that gives you longevity? a lot of 'em seem to actually draw sustenance from the hate - i'm thinking the legendary bob lord of burnley and that well-know transvestite peter swales. in which case, we're f**ked at the o's - hearne will be there forever.

btw, i've been trying to find a reliable update on malcom allison - last i knew, living in sheltered housing, not got the best of health records (for gods sakes, his playing career was ended by tb!). he's lived through a lot, but it must have an effect as he gets to his eighties. can't find too much - any clues?

that well-know transvestite peter swales

This one passed me by, is there anything I can follow up online, purely for research purposes you understand?

that well-know transvestite peter swales

This one passed me by, is there anything I can follow up online, purely for research purposes you understand?

You'd have to exhume the body to see if he was buried in his wedding dress. :P

Erm....somebody would have to, can't say that job appeals greatly to me.

swales the transvestite - a rumour i heard many times back in the eighties as i had a mate who lived in northwich and was a maine road regular. funnily enough, big mal went on about it quite a bit on tv, in a documentary about his life and career about a decade and a half ago. it's all rumour, of course, but seems just a little TOO prevalent to be dismissed. it might all be lies, but c'mon - he was a chairman! any fan wants rumours like that to be true! although i will say one thing - at least he didn't cross-finance his club with his care homes... (or is that one just a rumour, too?)

wonder if swales wore a wig, or just relied on his comb-over?

• Like 1