Sign in to follow this  
weatherman90

Art Buchwald

Art Buchwald, 80, is missing a half a leg, and had a stroke in 2000. In addition, he is refusing dialysis. One to watch if he survives the year.

Final Days

Wikipedia - if you are asking yourself who this is

[merged (eventualy)HCW]

Haha, weatherman90, not only did I already posted this, but I posted it in YOUR thread so that people would be reminded of your deadpool! :o

Wow..you truly beat me to it this time! I will get one any day now...Thanks for posting it on my thread though!...hopefully entries will pick up soon.

Guest iain
Art Buchwald, 80, is missing a half a leg, and had a stroke in 2000. In addition, he is refusing dialysis. One to watch if he survives the year.

Final Days

Wikipedia - if you are asking yourself who this is

[merged (eventualy)HCW]

As of February 24, 2006, Buchwald is in a Washington, D.C. area hospice. Although his kidneys are failing and kidney dialysis is a treatment that would extend his life, he has elected to forego the treatment, thereby hastening his death. He has given a few reasons for this choice. He does not like the time needed for the treatment, three treatments a week each lasting five hours. And he wishes to avoid the many end-of-life ailments that befall so many elderly individuals.

yup hes a gonner..wont make it to 2007..2006 is his year of maker meeting

To anyone thinking of joining this or other deadpools that begin in less than a month (IE. Rotten Deadpool), this may be of interest: The Final Days of Art Buchwald.

Won't make it 2007, so no good for DL or DDP, but if anyone's thinking of joining Rotten, it's an easy point.

Columnist Art Buchwald 'gravely ill, yet spirited'

It looks like he does not have too long to go. I regret not selecting him for my team.

To anyone thinking of joining this or other deadpools that begin in less than a month (IE. Rotten Deadpool), this may be of interest: The Final Days of Art Buchwald.

Won't make it 2007, so no good for DL or DDP, but if anyone's thinking of joining Rotten, it's an easy point.

Columnist Art Buchwald 'gravely ill, yet spirited'

It looks like he does not have too long to go. I regret not selecting him for my team.

I forgot all about him. I have half a dozen lists of people pencilled in, I get confused as to which list to use

Commentator, writer and Pulitzer prize winner Art Buchwald.

(He's not actually dead yet, but he's got no chance of seeing 2007)

Commentator, writer and Pulitzer prize winner Art Buchwald.

(He's not actually dead yet, but he's got no chance of seeing 2007)

He seems to be enjoying the last of his life. I wonder if he would find our interest in him amusing? Quite possibly, he would!

If I could find the thread about "How would you like to die?" I would post that link in there as a great example. (Although I would personally prefer to avoid the amputation and kidney failure part of it, if possible. :unsure: )

Well, we are 15 days into the pool and no one has carked it yet, including the long-expected hit Art Buchwald - perhaps he is a medical miracle that can live without kidney function? :unsure:

Oh, and if anyone wanted a close up of Art's nose hairs, here you go:

art-large.jpg

Well, we are 15 days into the pool and no one has carked it yet, including the long-expected hit Art Buchwald - perhaps he is a medical miracle that can live without kidney function? :unsure:

Here's the most recent article on Art for anyone who's interested.

For some unknown reason (since I couldn't find an article on his death), this movie refers to the late Art Buchwald. (Right at the end)

Jumping the gun a bit perhaps?

And now here he claims he isn't dying...

I'm so confused, but he's going on my new Rotten DP anyways. :lol:

Edited by Canadian Paul

The opening words of his Wiki page:

Art Buchwald

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Arthur "Art" Buchwald (born October 20, 1925) is an American humorist best known for his long-running column in The Washington Post newspaper, which concentrates on political satire and commentary. He received the Pulitzer Prize for Outstanding Commentary in 1982 and in 1986 was elected to the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters.

Buchwald is also known for the Buchwald v. Paramount lawsuit, which he and partner Alain Bernheim filed against Paramount Pictures in 1988 in a controversy over the Eddie Murphy movie Coming to America. Buchwald claimed Paramount had stolen his script idea. He won, was awarded damages, and then accepted a settlement from Paramount. The case was the subject of a 1992 book, Fatal Subtraction: The Inside Story of Buchwald V. Paramount by Pierce O'Donnell and Dennis McDougal.

As of April 5, 2006, Buchwald is in a Washington, D.C. area hospice. Although his kidneys are failing he has elected to forego kidney dialysis, saying that he wishes to finish his days his way and to avoid end-of-life ailments that befall so many elderly individuals.

His longevity in the final stages is astounding some, but it's only a matter of time now and I think we need a dedicated thread ready and waiting.

I take it, derived from the posting which you have made Maryport, that this topic will be dedicated entirely to Mr.Buchwald and won't I trust be drifting off to other themes.

Sad to hear Mr.Buchwald is doing so poorly. Will he be on the kidney donee list?

Only if the recipients manufacture dog food. I'm not sure the rest of us would want what passes for kidney function in his failing frame.

Not on the transplant list. I've bene following Art for a couple months (aside from occasionally having read his columns over the years). According to the interview I watched, he says that he's lived a good life and has accepted that he's at the end of the road. To see Art in his interview in April, you wouldn't guess that his condition is terminal - the man is in high spirits, joking like a man without a care in the world but with the slowed speech of a man who's had a stroke or two. He knows he should've have been dead by the time he gave last month's interview and doesn't know what's keeping him around (laughing as he said it). One thing is for sure, he's not going to make it to 2007.

Great guy and when he passes away, he will be missed.

well, just over 7 months 'til year end, he's still going, and look at how many people wrote Ariel Sharon off after his stroke. Art and Ari would make an excellent 1-2 punch to the top of DL 2007.

If they achieve that unlikely feat I hope they drop in the first three months, they're both on my dead pool for Weatherman's Wikipedia list, ending March 31st 07

Now that this is it's own thread, all my back to back posts make me look really obsessed. :D

Still, he's on my Weatherman DP and my brand spanking new Rotten DP, so I'm poised to score twice for this fellow.

Death has been kind to him though, I've been reading his column often and I must admit, he's a hoot and a holler (mildly anyways).

I'm in a very good mood," Buchwald told The Associated Press in an interview Wednesday.

Strange thing is, as a Brit unfamiliar with the man until recently, I'm warming to him. Obviously frustrating given his place in my DP but I kinda like his grim humour.

Now that this is it's own thread, all my back to back posts make me look really obsessed. ;)

Still, he's on my Weatherman DP and my brand spanking new Rotten DP, so I'm poised to score twice for this fellow.

Death has been kind to him though, I've been reading his column often and I must admit, he's a hoot and a holler (mildly anyways).

I was all set with a great death list for Weatherman's DP (before the deadline of course), and I read through all the existing lists to make sure my list didn't look too much like anyone else's...then I came upon your list CP and saw that your top 6 were in my top 6. :)

Nice picks, I couldn't have done better myself. ;)

Now that this is it's own thread, all my back to back posts make me look really obsessed. ;)

I was all set with a great death list for Weatherman's DP (before the deadline of course), and I read through all the existing lists to make sure my list didn't look too much like anyone else's...then I came upon your list CP and saw that your top 6 were in my top 6. :)

Nice picks, I couldn't have done better myself. ;)

Weatherman DP is the one actually want to win - so instead of picking "interesting" picks, I based it off the ones I thought were most likely to die. So WDP is my A team.

You sound like you rock MBH2. Where's the drunken friends thread??? :P

Now that this is it's own thread, all my back to back posts make me look really obsessed. :P

I was all set with a great death list for Weatherman's DP (before the deadline of course), and I read through all the existing lists to make sure my list didn't look too much like anyone else's...then I came upon your list CP and saw that your top 6 were in my top 6. :D

Nice picks, I couldn't have done better myself. :D

Weatherman DP is the one actually want to win - so instead of picking "interesting" picks, I based it off the ones I thought were most likely to die. So WDP is my A team.

You sound like you rock MBH2. Where's the drunken friends thread??? :P

I think we have similar methods in choosing our picks, which is frighteningly comforting. Lung cancer, brain cancer, pancreatic cancer, ALS, advanced Alzheimer's, people refusing life saving treatment and seriously extended illnesses all make good picks, brah.