Sign in to follow this  
weatherman90

Art Buchwald

Art Buchwald was on the TV news yesterday saying that doctors are baffled that his kidneys are miraculously working again. I can't find an online news version of it, but it's noted in Wikipedia (yes, I know, but I've seen the real news report) Wikiness.

Now I have to trade him and Suharto out on my RDP for someone else... at least if something strange happens and Buchwald does die, I'll still score on my WDP.

Kidney's are working again...someone better be pulling his remaining leg. Gotta say, I'm kinda happy for the ol' guy. Even with better kidney function, he's not the healthiest guy in the world but I'm sure there are better candidates for shorter lists.

Kidney's are working again...someone better be pulling his remaining leg. Gotta say, I'm kinda happy for the ol' guy. Even with better kidney function, he's not the healthiest guy in the world but I'm sure there are better candidates for shorter lists.

I switched Buchwald out for Felt. The way I see it, though Felt is supposedly still lucid, if Buchwald dies tomorrow, I'll still get points on the WDP. If Felt dies tomorrow, it'd be a silly miss not to have him somewhere.

Just guessin re Buchwald's Kidneys; his coctail of medication might have included blood pressure drugs some of which - like Captopril - can inhibit kidney function. If his doctors had accepted his immenent death and removed the longer term medications, like blood pressure treatment, this might just explain their bafflement. This happens in some cases, if he had problems with his kidneys it's possible the lack of function could have been put down to this rather than a combination of poor kidney function and side effects of medication.

If the above is half true he could stumble on into the medium term but his compromised system will be fighting a battle to maintain its balance.

He's in my WDP but I admire his attitude and tenacity, and his work, so the current development is a mixed blessing at MPFC Towers.

Do any of our stateside cousins have any up to date information on the man. He must still be at Martha's Vinyard, has Carly Simon sung for him yet?

Do any of our stateside cousins have any up to date information on the man. He must still be at Martha's Vinyard, has Carly Simon sung for him yet?

I did a little reading on Art the other day. Carly hasn't sung to him yet, although he has spoken with her. Art is currently at his vacation home on Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts and submitting his columns. He's still planning his funeral as if it was a sweet 16 party.

Anyway, I'll let you read for yourself - Art Buchwald "feels more alive than ever"

Cheers

Still no word on what caused that miraculous recovery of kidney function. Leading me to think the doctors are keeping quiet because it was to do with a side effect of other medication.

Aye, fair play to the man, a real character. If only I'd picked someone else on my WDP.

I switched Buchwald out for Felt. The way I see it, though Felt is supposedly still lucid, if Buchwald dies tomorrow, I'll still get points on the WDP. If Felt dies tomorrow, it'd be a silly miss not to have him somewhere.

The way I see it, Mark Felt doesn't have that much time left on earth. A few months ago they said he was frail and his faimly went on saying all the bullshit in which how every day is special with him. Once you know that you know death isn't far from happening. Time right now is the only enemy. Hopefully he can be spaired untill 2007.

The way I see it, Mark Felt doesn't have that much time left on earth. A few months ago they said he was frail and his faimly went on saying all the bullshit in which how every day is special with him. Once you know that you know death isn't far from happening. Time right now is the only enemy. Hopefully he can be spaired untill 2007.

Mark Felt has been "close to death" for the past 2-3 years. I have a feeling a lot of it is exaggerated just so his family can make as much money as they can before he does finally die

Happy 81st Art! I'm growing in admiration and affection for yers, despite the points I'm missing on the WDP as a result of your survival!

Mebbe we should this fellar as the first DL thread subject to post here.

No, no update on his health, but I look for an update on him about once a week and continue to find new article he's written. I take it as an indication that he's healthy enough to outwheel the grim reaper for atleast a couple weeks. When we stop finding fresh articles from Art, we can actively start the death watch again.

His continued good fortune has frustrated the Deathlister in me, but I can just laugh at it now and wish him the best. The joke was on me, but at least I'm not alone in that.

Art Buchwald has written a book about his near death experience.

I'm sure it will be a good read, along with another recent publication, 'The Last Days Of Dead Celebrities', by written by the gloriously named Mitchell Fink.

He says the moral of his own story is; 'Never trust your own kidneys.'

Man, I'm liking this guy more and more. Mebbe get round to reading his book over Christmas, after I finish 'Influx' by JC Hall, of course.

CNN have just reported that Buchwald has died at his home at the age of 81

Link

CNN have just reported that Buchwald has died at his home at the age of 81

Link

Another link from the BBC.

Known for his wry humour, he published his final book, Too Soon to Say Goodbye, in November of last year.

The book includes his plan for getting a big newspaper obituary: Don't die on the same day as a Nobel Prize winner.

Harold Pinter should be fine for another day then....

80 years old, kidney failure, living in a hospice; Then, having declared a crystal-clear 2006 exit strategy, discharges himself and goes home to have a shot at 2007 instead!? Shrewd character.

Excellent. He was on my theme team in the CPDP and probably the only hit I'll get.