maryportfuncity

Desmond Dekker

Link to the story. Fatal heart attack at 64, his last big hit was the floor.

But seriously folks: a pioneer who made his music more widely known, gigging up to a fortnight ago.

Shame. Great song, his 1969 hit, Israelites. Was it the Memorex Tapes advert that took it off so 'memorably'?

Link to the story. Fatal heart attack at 64, his last big hit was the floor.

But seriously folks: a pioneer who made his music more widely known, gigging up to a fortnight ago.

Yes, yes, darling. Iain reported this news at 3:52 A.M in the near misses of 2006 topic. You really should go and look at the responses there as it is generating quite a large amount of interest.

Shame. Great song, his 1969 hit, Israelites. Was it the Memorex Tapes advert that took it off so 'memorably'?
Oh yes indeed. After a brief Google search: -

'Get up in the morning, baked beans for breakfast

Sold out to every monk and beefhead

Woah-ohhhh, me ears are alight!

Why find me kids, they buck up and a-leave me

Darling cheese head I was yards too greasy

Woah-ohhhh! Me ears are alight!'

Sounds about right, as far as I can remember.

TLC, as indicated to Maryport, there is an ongoing discussion in the Near Misses for 2006 and in that locale is a posting of the words of this morose ditty.

TLC, as indicated to Maryport, there is an ongoing discussion in the Near Misses for 2006 and in that locale is a posting of the words of this morose ditty.
Sorry admin!

I hope I will not upset you further by posting this reply in the thread that should not be used.

Also, if I may fall at your mercy and appeal for clemency, I was looking for the lyrics on Google at the time you posted your indication of duplicity to MPFC, hence I was unaware of the previous mention of Mr Dekker etc.

And to think, someone on DL thought I was a schoolteacher! :unsure:

Am I sensing sarcasm?

Am I sensing sarcasm?

I should hope so, or else I'd take your sarcasm detection device back to the shop of purchase and get a replacement if I were you.

Whilst I'm not doubting the reasoning behind pointing out the duplication of a topic, it seems a little rich coming from somebody who only a few days ago seemed to be suffering from 'typist diarrhoea'. A few days of relative quiet on your part do not as yet change my view. You will find no intentional sarcasm in that paragraph.

And also, to MPFC's defence, presumably the 'near miss' thread is strictly speaking for mentioning near misses plus (I suppose) a few further comments. If discussion is to continue though, then a separate thread would be correct, to prevent turning 'near misses' into a 'Desmond Dekker' thread. I guess the people will vote with their posts regarding the future validity of this thread.

Well, that's my take on it, but I'm no mod or admin so I will await further news.

I agree. People with typist diarrhoea should be shot :unsure:

I do so wish certain cretins would learn to spell.

And once more Dr.Hackenslash I am not who you hope I am.

(I hope that wasn't too harsh)

First Freddie Garrity, now Desmond Dekker. Who'll be the third? (My Mum says these things always come in threes)

Hell!

I gan oot for a bit and this thread takes a turn I never expected. Like, sorry for missing the earlier posts about Dekker but it isn't - like - a crime is it?

Some decent sarcasm above.

One thing I think we've discovered this far, anyone thinking Bennett Cerf a thinly disguised Tempus or Bruno is definitely barking up a wrong 'un.

Oh yeah, and Desmond Dekker is still dead!

Jimmy!

Sorry, I mean ATJ, did yer - like - ever consider the Dekkster for vocal duties in Led Zeppelin? Given yer fairly obvious debt to black music it would've been an interesting combination.

This topic most certainly is taking some odd turns.

I think I must have posted this in the wrong place.....

For all his whingeing about slaving for bread etc. surely Desmond knew that he'd get it if he really wants.

The aficionado would argue that the Israelites was pretty easy to understand compared to some songs:

You think I never see you when you jump over de wall

You think I never see you when you accidently fall

me said a it mek - mek you pop yu bitta gall

a it mek - while you accidently fall

a it mek - hear she crying fe ice water

aah -aah- aah

I check you out and you're cold, girl

I dig you out and you're cold, girl

rock it to me children

I told you once and I told you twice

Wha' sweet nanny goat a go run him belly good

me said a it mek - mek your pop yu bitta gall

It certainly makes me pop my bitter gall.

You think I never see you when you jump over de wall

You think I never see you when you accidently fall

me said a it mek - mek you pop yu bitta gall

aah -aah- aah

I check you out and you're cold, girl

I dig you out and you're cold, girl

rock it to me children

Well, I think that explains why the girl is cold when he checks her out, what with all that crying fe ice water.

Either that, or the meaning of the line 'I dig you out and you're cold, girl' could be something more sinister than is first apparent. <_<

One of tyhe most dissgusting things about thiss thread is how it shows favortism.

Sure we did! Right after the Physical Graffitti sessions, Percy went down with a touch of the old "two bobs" 10 minutes before we were due on stage at Madison Square Gardens. As you may or may not recall, his trouser of choice at that time were a pair of white velvet bell-bottoms which would take him, on average, 15 minutes to put on or remove, due to the 'snugness' around the groin area. The resulting mess was so extreme that we had to do the first half of the show with guest vocalists whilst our crack team of surgeons and gentlemens outfitters prepared Percy for the second half.

As luck would have it, Desmond was playing as our support act on that tour and was more than happy to lend his lilting patois vocals to such classics as 'When the Levee Breaks' and 'Kasmir.' In fact the bootleg recording of the gig (Black Dog and Dekker, Bluesfan label, 1978 ) has become somewhat sought after amongst fans, if only for the moment in Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp when Percy strains for the high note, lets out a little "tommy-squeaker" and accidentally follows through. Thankfully John Paul Jones was able to extend his mellotron solo by another 25 minutes to enable the roadies to clear up the mess.

On a similar theme, The original backing singer on "The Battle of Evermore" was in fact Prince Buster. Peter Grant later insisted that Sandy Denny overdub his part as he felt that a continual stream of 'Chick-a-chick-a' scat singing and references to his 'Big Pum-Pum' were not what a song about a mythical battle between the forces of good and evil really required.

Jimmy!

Sorry, I mean ATJ, did yer - like - ever consider the Dekkster for vocal duties in Led Zeppelin? Given yer fairly obvious debt to black music it would've been an interesting combination.

:o:lol::P

Class ATJ, pure class.

One of tyhe most dissgusting things about thiss thread is how it shows favortism.

You couldn't be a little more specific could you? Favouritism for what, or to whom?

Plus, if that's only 'one of the more disgusting things', what are the things that are worse, or nearly as bad?

I am genuinely interested, no intentional sarcasm is present in this post.

You couldn't be a little more specific could you? Favouritism for what, or to whom?

Plus, if that's only 'one of the more disgusting things', what are the things that are worse, or nearly as bad?

I am genuinely interested, no intentional sarcasm is present in this post.

Why not? Is your sarcasm generator broken? :P