VSBfromH

Disc Jockeys

16 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Happy Birthday Radio 1.

At what point in the next 50 years will Radio 1 cease to exist?

Darryl "The Mad Hatter" Hensley has been killed in a motorcycle accident He was 79.
Darryl was responsibly for organizing the Buddy Holly Tribute shows at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa which started in 1979. 

The shows continue to this day as The Winter Dance Party.

Anyone watching Pointless Celebrities? Annie Nightingale looks rough as fuck. 77 though so maybe an outside bet?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Anyone watching Pointless Celebrities? Annie Nightingale looks rough as fuck. 77 though so maybe an outside bet?

Yes, I saw her.

I wouldn't say rough more like fucking odd.

Dressing like a 24 yr old rock star heroin addict stuck in 1972 is fucking stupid when you are 77.

Richard Stillgoe looked chipper.

One of our most underrated songwriters/lyricists.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Richard Stillgoe looked chipper.

One of our most underrated songwriters/lyricists.

But too smug to be likeable.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Toast said:

But too smug to be likeable.

I cannot disagree with that.

Matt Dike co-founded the record label Delicious Vinyl, and produced or co-produced some of the biggest rap hits to come out of the West Coast in the late 1980s, including Tone Loc's "Wild Thing" and Young MC's "Bust a Move." Dike was a key figure in the creation of the Beastie Boys' seminal 1989 album, "Paul's Boutique," and helped define the sample-heavy mash-up style that connected rap, punk, arena rock, pop and disco.

Dike's death occurred in mid-January and followed a battle with salivary gland cancer. He was 56.

SC

British DJ Hanna Wants has been battling breast cancer for the past 18 months:

https://mixmag.net/read/hannah-wants-reveals-shes-been-battling-breast-cancer-for-past-18-months-news

Edit: Also, can we change the title of this thread to soemthing with more than 3 letters? Disc Jockeys?

• Thanks 1

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 18:46, YoungWillz said:

Well, no time like the present to drag out that infamous pic of the launch of Radios 1 and 2 and see who has copped it.

1967-DJ-group-1_1476482i.jpg

Back row (l to r): Tony Blackburn (1943), Jimmy Young (1921-2016), Kenny Everett (1944-1995), Duncan Johnson (1938), Programme Controller Robin Scott (1920-2000), David Ryder (?), Dave Cash (1942-2016), Pete Brady (1942), David Symonds (1943).

Middle row (l to r): Bob Holness (1928-2012), Terry Wogan (1938-2016), Barry Alldiss (1930-1982), Mike Lennox (1940), Keith Skues (1939), Chris Denning (1941), Johnny Moran (c1943, last heard of 2007?), [Pete Myers (1939-1998) - cropped out].

Front row (l to r): Pete Murray (1925), Ed Stewart (1941-2016), Pete Drummond (1943), Mike Raven (1924-1997), Mike Ahern (1942-2009) and John Peel (1939-2004)

Edited for Eesti's comment below.

Twitter bods announcing that Duncan Johnson has died aged 80:

Brinsworth House.....7 years.....

Fuck me it must be good care in there.

1 hour ago, charon said:

Brinsworth House.....7 years.....

Fuck me it must be good care in there.

Reports indicate Parkinson's.

• Thanks 1

Re David Ryder: he has been involved with the Bluebell Railway, where his name is spelled Rider (see this link). Their website mentioned him having a "long-term illness" back in 2013, but no trace of him having shunted into the sidings as yet, so to speak. Left school in 1957, so born 1942 or so.

• Like 2

Christa Wittmier, who became one of the most recognized figures on Honolulu’s nightlife scene, lost her battle with cancer on Thursday.

She died in Minnesota with family at her side, according to several sources. She was 43.

Known as “SuperCW,” Wittmier waged a well-documented battle with cancer for 3-1/2 years, and became a cause celebre in Oahu’s urban hipster and social circles, which raised money for her treatment and followed her condition. During that time, she co-founded the nonprofit Aloha Cancer Project to help raise awareness and to help other cancer patients.

Wittmier was a popular DJ, former marketing director, event planner and blogger.  Her blog, supercw.com, became the go-to source for commentary on Honolulu nightlife, paving the way for other bloggers and online entertainment coverage. She received numerous awards for blogging.

A musician from an early age, she developed DJ skills and won a contest after being invited to compete on somewhat of a lark. “It was a college thing, and I’m this 30-year-old on stage kicking ass,” she told the Star-Advertiser in 2016. She would go on to become one of the island’s most popular DJs.

Wittmier was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer in May 2015. After four months she appeared to be in remission, but a year later Wittmier’s cancer had returned and spread to her liver, lungs and brain.
SC

Well since I'm neither British nor old as fuck, I'm not sure if this is necessarily a fairly somewhat known name, but...

According to Twitter, former Granary Club and BBC Radio Bristol DJ Al Reid has died

Johnny Walker who looked dead in the water a few years back is 74 today

I thought Bob Harris sounded a bit ropey presenting the Bowie tribute on Radio 2 last night.

As a random aside, the thought did occur to me that Harris must have interviewed more people over the years who've gone on to die of a drug overdose than almost anyone else on the planet.

On 30/03/2019 at 21:38, DevonDeathTrip said:

I thought Bob Harris sounded a bit ropey presenting the Bowie tribute on Radio 2 last night.

As a random aside, the thought did occur to me that Harris must have interviewed more people over the years who've gone on to die of a drug overdose than almost anyone else on the planet.

Good ears - he's in intensive prostate cancer treatment:

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1112627/Bob-harris-bbc-radio-2-country-show-prostate-cancer-health-update-news

• Like 1