VSBfromH

Disc Jockeys

15 minutes ago, xXConmanXx said:

rip

he got banned

Ti-i-i-me, is on my side, yes it is.

Does someone want to take a punt on Gabry Ponte? Receiving "difficult heart surgery" for a "degenerative heart disease".

On 12/06/2019 at 11:40, Toast said:

Bob Harris has suffered an aortic dissection

Veteran broadcaster Bob Harris is to take a break from presenting his BBC Radio 2 country show after suffering an aortic dissection.

The condition occurs when there is a tear in the wall of the major artery carrying blood out of the heart.

"The aorta is basically the M1 of the body and any damage is regarded as extremely serious," said Harris.

"I am not exactly sure when I will be on air again but I am on the road to recovery now," he continued.

Harris, known to fans as "Whispering Bob", said he suffered a tear to his aorta while out walking 10 days ago.

"It was an incredibly scary moment and I am massively indebted to the ambulance crew who attended so promptly," he said,

Harris, 73, also paid tribute to the Intensive Care team and consultants at Oxford's John Radcliffe Hospital, his wife Trudie and his "wonderful" family.

Paul Sexton will host the next two editions of Harris's hour-long show, which airs on Thursdays at 21:00 BST.

Whispering Bob now has cancer, I don't yet know what it is...it's probably out there somewhere:

5 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Whispering Bob now has cancer, I don't yet know what it is...it's probably out there somewhere:

Apparently prostate cancer since 2008! Even more luckily to survive the aortic issue then, but like others in the same boat, on borrowed time, sadly.

Bob Harris on Instagram: “This is a very special and emotional post for me because today is the 6th month anniversary of the day I suffered my Aortic Dissection, an…”

From the looks of previous posts in this thread it appears that this forum intends to follow the long-standing misnomer of classifying radio presenters as disc jockeys despite the two roles being entirely different jobs and having been that way for several decades now. Many a disc jockey will take offense to a radio presenter classifying themselves as a disc jockey for obvious reasons, giving the very different skillsets required. A radio presenter just needs to be confident talking into a microphone these days, often with the songs they play selected by production teams for them, where as a disc jockey needs an intricate knowledge of music that flows well and an ability to use mixing software. Some people can do both, but that doesn't make both roles the same. 

That minor correction to the thread title aside, I notice Annie Mac has retired after 17 years on Radio 1. She's only 42 years of age. This seems rather odd. She's claiming it's to spend more time with her children as their at school, but surely she could be offered the Annie Nightingale deal of a late night slot pre-recorded and record it while the children are at school. She claims to want to come back to radio in the future, so it's less of a retirement and more of a career break, whilst it may truly be do to with family stuff - a tiny part of me thinks it could be a good wildcard for dead pools next year - we've seen prominent celebrities disappear from public life and turn out to have a terminal health problem in the past. It's certainly one to watch over the next 6-7 months towards Christmas.

Turning to Annie Nightingale, she must know where the bodies are buried regarding past Radio 1 presenters, surely? The only explanation I can think of that they continue to allow an 80 year old with a completely wrecked voice doing a weekly 1 hour bass slot at midnight on Radio 1. Her voice unbelievably crackly, I understand that her and Pete Tong are basically untouchable at Radio 1 but if they can move even Trevor Nelson to Radio 2, and sack Trevor Nelson, Chris Moyles and many others, how the heck not her? 

4 hours ago, Boring Bob said:

Turning to Annie Nightingale <SNIP> if they can sack Chris Moyles, how the heck not her? 

Because Moyles is a fucking cunt.

I adore Annie Nightingale - I'm of the Request Show/revising for exams era - but she does sound like she wears exceptionally ill-fitting dentures these days.

48 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

I adore Annie Nightingale - I'm of the Request Show/revising for exams era - but she does sound like she wears exceptionally ill-fitting dentures these days.

She's 81 - only seven months younger than John Peel. Had he still been around I wonder if Radio One would still have found him a slot. 

I don't think I've listened to Anne Nightingale's show this century, out of curiosity did a search on Youtube and am more shocked by the way she looks. Like someone cosplaying a mascot for the Grateful Dead.

• Shocked 1

Paul Johnson, Chicago based DJ and producer who had a #5 hit in the UK in September 1999 with Get Get Down, hospitalised and being intubated. Various reports had him dead hours ago, but this is apparently untrue, but sounds very serious. 

• Shocked 1

11 minutes ago, JQW said:

Paul Johnson dead.

That's a shame. Get Get Down was a great 90s hit. 

Just reading his Wiki page. Didn't realise he was disabled. A double leg amputee after being shot and then losing the second after a car crash. Didn't have a great deal of luck.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, JQW said:

Paul Johnson dead.

Will they bury him down down down down down, down down down down down

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Dead Wait said:

Will they bury him down down down down down, down down down down down

Wasn't much left anyway after losing both legs....

5 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Well this is a shock.

Pete Murray (wikito return to radio on Boxing Day aged 96, after retiring 19 years ago.

Looks pretty good in that recent pic. I now anticipate several last minute drops on the DDP! :P

He’s rubbing my face in it now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Well this is a shock.

Pete Murray (wikito return to radio on Boxing Day aged 96, after retiring 19 years ago.

Looks pretty good in that recent pic. I now anticipate several last minute drops on the DDP! :P

Amazing head of hair for a man of his age. 

• Like 1