VSBfromH

Disc Jockeys

Bob Harris has suffered an aortic dissection

Veteran broadcaster Bob Harris is to take a break from presenting his BBC Radio 2 country show after suffering an aortic dissection.

The condition occurs when there is a tear in the wall of the major artery carrying blood out of the heart.

"The aorta is basically the M1 of the body and any damage is regarded as extremely serious," said Harris.

"I am not exactly sure when I will be on air again but I am on the road to recovery now," he continued.

Harris, known to fans as "Whispering Bob", said he suffered a tear to his aorta while out walking 10 days ago.

"It was an incredibly scary moment and I am massively indebted to the ambulance crew who attended so promptly," he said,

Harris, 73, also paid tribute to the Intensive Care team and consultants at Oxford's John Radcliffe Hospital, his wife Trudie and his "wonderful" family.

Paul Sexton will host the next two editions of Harris's hour-long show, which airs on Thursdays at 21:00 BST.

10 minutes ago, Toast said:

Bob Harris has suffered an aortic dissection

Veteran broadcaster Bob Harris is to take a break from presenting his BBC Radio 2 country show after suffering an aortic dissection.

The condition occurs when there is a tear in the wall of the major artery carrying blood out of the heart.

"The aorta is basically the M1 of the body and any damage is regarded as extremely serious," said Harris.

"I am not exactly sure when I will be on air again but I am on the road to recovery now," he continued.

Harris, known to fans as "Whispering Bob", said he suffered a tear to his aorta while out walking 10 days ago.

"It was an incredibly scary moment and I am massively indebted to the ambulance crew who attended so promptly," he said,

Harris, 73, also paid tribute to the Intensive Care team and consultants at Oxford's John Radcliffe Hospital, his wife Trudie and his "wonderful" family.

Paul Sexton will host the next two editions of Harris's hour-long show, which airs on Thursdays at 21:00 BST.

This makes him more one to watch now than folk with some of the treatable cancers, sadly.

• Like 1

On 07/10/2017 at 17:54, Lard Bazaar said:

Anyone watching Pointless Celebrities? Annie Nightingale looks rough as fuck. 77 though so maybe an outside bet?

Was on Radio 4 this morning voice sounded like Janet Street-Porter crossed with an angle grinder.

Fair play to cancer survivor Mark Radcliffe - he unveiled his own memorial bench and had it inscribed to indicate he STILL likes sitting there: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/nov/29/dj-mark-radcliffe-gets-bench-commemoration-while-still-alive

• Like 1

On 04/11/2019 at 17:04, Bibliogryphon said:

Was on Radio 4 this morning voice sounded like Janet Street-Porter crossed with an angle grinder.

She still does a show on Radio One every week though . I don't think anyone will ever last as long as she has as a Radio 1 DJ - 50 years next February ! And she turns 80 in April.Nobody will ever beat that ! 

• Like 1

Ken Bruce, off of Popmaster, has some kind of ailment and is off for a bit as a result. Probably nothing major, as he says (and hopefully; what a ledge).

44 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Ken Bruce, off of Popmaster, has some kind of ailment and is off for a bit as a result. Probably nothing major, as he says (and hopefully; what a ledge).

I will say a prayer for him. Radio 2 wouldn't be the same without him. Hope it's not more serious than he's making out.I remember Terry Wogan said he had a back problem and would be back in a few weeks , next thing we heard he had died of cancer. .:( We don't want Fearne Cotton or someone taking over ! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Harry Harrison, an American radio personality and disc jockey for over 50 years, mostly in New York, has died. He was 89.

https://wcbsfm.radio.com/blogs/joe-cingrana/remembering-harry-harrison-former-cbs-fm-dj

Ugh.... a Gris Gris miss there.  89-- he would have been Joker material, QO chances aside.  Wish there was a better way to search that team other than random poking on the keyboard.

Admittedly a bit OT, but closely related and better than throwing him in general ‘Dead Of’ thread. Anyway beat me up it’s ok, I got big shoulders, pile on.

Naoki E-Jima, the founder and operator of Japanese record store Disk Shop Zero, died yesterday after a bout of illness. 
Since opening his shop in Ekoda, Tokyo back in 1993, E-Jima—real name Naoki Iijima—championed bass music coming out of Bristol, forging a strong link between the two cities' scenes. That vision continued when he and a group of friends started their BS0 party in 2015 (they refer to BS0 as a made-up Bristol postcode) and released a series of records on a label of the same name shortly after. In addition to running his shop, Iijima also worked as a music writer.

SC

Alright, Jenny Francis, "Ex Choice FM Producer/Presenter #TheSlowDownZone #TheHype Heart FM Network Presenter"

Is she in any way famous/notable?

Because she just might have terminal cancer:

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Pete Mitchell, the "Pete" of long-time Virgin Radio duo "Pete and Geoff," dead at 61.

Wow. That is a real shocker. I remember listening to him on the Virgin radio breakfast show when he co presented with Geoff Llloyd. Was listening to him just recently.This is hard to take in to be honest ! He was so healthy ! 

Tried to listen to Sound of the Seventies yesterday. Johnny Walker sounded terrible coming from his home. At first I put it down to the acoustics out of the studio but his wife Tiggy sounded quite bright.

For future (though not too far distant) consideration

• Like 2

Ronan O'Rahilly, founder of Radio Caroline, has died aged 79 according to the station's Twitter account. 

54 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Fucking who?

Nobody, I'm social distancing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Also told George Lazenby there was no future in James Bond films and he should quit the series after one movie.