maryportfuncity

Deadio Times

Gareth O'Callaghan has shared a positive update with his followers about his illness.  The popular radio presenter has been battling Multiple System Atrophy, a rare neurodegenerative disorder which is incurable, since March (2018).
Gareth let his followers know that his treatment is going well, he feels more energised, and that his breathing is becoming stronger.

He began: "Third session of hyperbaric oxygen therapy @OxyGenerationCl completed.  "After my third session I'm continuing to feel energised and my stress levels are now practically non-existence. Pain was becoming a major issue for me. It hurt to walk, to stand, to put on clothes and take them off. Even holding a knife and fork was getting painful. That's easing.

"The pain is not all gone, but it's a milder more bearable sensation than it was. I can now reduce the pain meds I was slowly increasing. I have greater balance now. Before I often had to grab hold of something to stop me from falling over because of blood pressure problems.

SC

On 24/04/2018 at 21:57, alt obits guy said:

Don Bustany,  who co-created American Top 40, the long-running music chart countdown show that used the top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart for much of its run and a radio-friendly list thereafter, has died.  He was 89.  The show began on July 4th,1970 and was co-created by original host Casey Kasem, Bustany, Tom Rounds & Ron Jacobs.  I know I spent many an hour listening to Kasem (and later Shadoe Stevens), from the mid 1980s through the early 1990s, as they counted down the top U.S. singles of the week.  Bustany was the last survivor of the group.

A year later, but I only just found out this is the "Don" from the famous Casey Kasem "Is Don on the phone? Okay. I want a goddamn concerted effort to come out of a record that isn't a fucking up-tempo record every time I do a goddamn death dedication" outtake.

30 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

A year later, but I only just found out this is the "Don" from the famous Casey Kasem "Is Don on the phone? Okay. I want a goddamn concerted effort to come out of a record that isn't a fucking up-tempo record every time I do a goddamn death dedication" outtake.

I remember hearing an outtake a few years ago where Casey swore.  Might have been this one.  Quite out of character (the public persona one) for the ever-so-polished Kasem, whether he was doing the countdown or the Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethon.

Bruce Williams, a National Radio Hall of Fame talk show host who helmed an eponymous radio show from 1981 to 2010 and who retired from radio for good in 2013, has died.  He was 86.

http://www.insideradio.com/free/nrhof-talk-show-host-bruce-williams-dies/article_e93e5500-2e23-11e9-a660-7ba033a73af2.html

• Like 1

Jerry Blum, a former president and general manager at WQXI-AM and the inspiration for Arthur Carlson, the character portrayed by Gordon Jump on WKRP in Cincinnati, has died.  He was 86.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/radiotvtalk/former-wqxi-jerry-blum-inspiration-for-art-carlson-wkrp-cincinnati-has-passed/j0ujFjkHVozLevE2OlhmtN/

Johnny Dark, a radio disc jockey & television broadcaster who introduced the Beatles in concert at the Mid-South Coliseum and was an integral part of the promotion of Memphis 1960s rock & soul, has died.  He was 75.  He is not to be confused with the same-named comic & TV character actor.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/2019/03/14/johnny-dark-memphis-deejay-and-tv-broadcaster-dies-beatles-in-memphis/3167755002/

An EXTREMELY popular morning AM radio show at least if you’re an uneducated racist redneck homophobe listening to Fox affiliate stations on your dial (I just described 80% of stations)... The Walton & Johnson Show, Just lost John Walton. Died 11:55pm July 1, no age given.  I’m assuming this is a silver spike to the show.

Good riddance.

SC

8 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

An EXTREMELY popular morning AM radio show at least if you’re an uneducated racist redneck homophobe listening to Fox affiliate stations on your dial (I just described 80% of stations)... The Walton & Johnson Show, Just lost John Walton. Died 11:55pm July 1, no age given.  I’m assuming this is a silver spike to the show.

Good riddance.

SC

Those "too numerous to overcome" medical issues, just a thought; he was so consumed with hate and bitterness that his stress hormone levels ran high for years and his immune system felt the impact

The Dalai Lama's still going, right?

On 03/07/2019 at 03:25, Sir Creep said:

Good riddance.

SC

Goodnight John-Boy

• Haha 1

Although I understand this was not the original intent of this thread,  nevertheless it has become the defacto repository of all things radio.  So in that light, this goes here:

Jack Hagerman, better known to listeners of Alberta's oldest radio station CKUA ( one of the world's oldest public broadcasters) as The Old Disc Jockey, John Worthington, has died at 92. He was with the station for 70 years, and was a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge on the Big Band era.  Alot of esoteric knowledge has gone with him, but he is survived by the countless remastered and restored old gems that he saved from oblivion. I have spent many a Sunday afternoon listening to his show, hearing his stories and anecdotes about the music and personalities of the era.

https://lfpress.com/opinion/columnists/tait-the-beat-of-jack-hagerman/wcm/c3b7ed0a-f399-4259-ab81-7ea737b52e79

• Like 1

Bob Kingsley, best known for his show Bob Kingsley’s Country Top 40 has revealed a bladder cancer diagnosis, and is stepping away from his show. 

I wonder if he is obitable in the UK at all...

10 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Bob Kingsley, best known for his show Bob Kingsley’s Country Top 40 has revealed a bladder cancer diagnosis, and is stepping away from his show. 

As sole authority on Deathrace obits he looks like he'd qualify by our very amenable rules.

On 09/10/2019 at 22:28, Joey Russ said:

No need to worry about that Reuters obit now: Bob Kingsley dead at 80.

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

No need to worry about that Reuters obit now: Bob Kingsley dead at 80.

Would’ve gotten something from the mail.

Papa Don Schroeder, a legendary radio figure in Florida, has died.  He was 78.  Schroeder was a deejay and record producer for the likes of James & Bobby Purify and Carl Carlton in the 1960s and 70s.

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2019/11/15/papa-don-schroeder-legendary-radio-icon-has-died/4201567002/

2 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Sammy Power, an Aussie radio star who battled alcoholism and mental health issues, has died.  She was 55.d

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7798587/Sammy-Powers-tragic-decline-Radio-stars-battle-death.html

Step1: We admitted we were POWERless over alcohol.... full stop.