Brinsworth House Baiter

Been To Any Good Gigs Lately?

40 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Re the kids and that

Sean Lennon

James Paul McCartney

Dhani Harrison and

Zak Starkey

Would genuinely make a decent band - though given Zak's considerable thwack they'd probs sound more like The Who than their dads did

It's been mooted in the past (by somewhat creepy "taking things far too seriously" Beatles fans, too) but at least two of the above have no interest whatsoever in it. Or so I'm told by the Beatles fanatic in the house.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, msc said:

It's been mooted in the past (by somewhat creepy "taking things far too seriously" Beatles fans, too) but at least two of the above have no interest whatsoever in it. Or so I'm told by the Beatles fanatic in the house.

Aye, probs a good thing.

Hyde Park is not my favourite venue, usually shit sound and too many pissed-up tossers and talkers drowning out the bands.

However Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers were awesome last night, as was Stevie Nicks.

I had to chuckle at the Metro review, headed "Stevie Nicks joined Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers for a surprise duet at BST Festival"

Think the Metro reporter was the only one to be surprised, as everybody else was waiting for it. :rolleyes:

Well worth the wait, and as we all know, the waiting is the hardest part B)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Toast said:

Hyde Park is not my favourite venue, usually shit sound and too many pissed-up tossers and talkers drowning out the bands.

However Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers were awesome last night, as was Stevie Nicks.

I had to chuckle at the Metro review, headed "Stevie Nicks joined Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers for a surprise duet at BST Festival"

Think the Metro reporter was the only one to be surprised, as everybody else was waiting for it. 

Well worth the wait, and as we all know, the waiting is the hardest part B)

Aye, the one act who stormed that unpromising place for me was Neil Young a few years back (seen him there twice). The first one he was joined for a genuine surprise duet by Paul McCartney; Macca giving the I'm not worthy gesture to Neil during a guitar solo on A Day in the Life.

4 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, the one act who stormed that unpromising place for me was Neil Young a few years back (seen him there twice). The first one he was joined for a genuine surprise duet by Paul McCartney; Macca giving the I'm not worthy gesture to Neil during a guitar solo on A Day in the Life.

Only to get the bum's rush next time he came to Hyde Park for a surprise duet! :angry:

The sound was so crap that night that my mate standing next to me didn't even realise that they'd pulled the plug.  The volume was that low.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Only to get the bum's rush next time he came to Hyde Park for a surprise duet! :angry:

The sound was so crap that night that my mate standing next to me didn't even realise that they'd pulled the plug.  The volume was that low.

No shit - I was pretty well forward for that; didn't realise it was sooo quiet at the back

Gigs are getting quieter to be fair. Even Motorhead's final tour was calmer than the others I saw.

19 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

No shit - I was pretty well forward for that; didn't realise it was sooo quiet at the back

They seemed to be gradually turning the volume down as the night wore on.

We weren't right at the back, but they had essentially blocked off any chances of getting any nearer the front with a VIP pen across the middle.

I was really pissed off tbh, because left to my own devices I would have gone much earlier but the mates I went with wouldn't get their arses into gear. 

There is a lot to be said for going solo, as I did yesterday.  I was able to wander around, chat with a number of nice people, move away from any wankers, and not worry about what anyone else was up to.

Right, guess I'll post my concerts I'm attending for the rest of 2017 that I know of, in order
The Offspring/Sublime with Rome (July 12th)
Streetheart (minus Kenny Shields, he is recovering from surgery), Honeymoon Suite, Harlequin and The Pumps & Orphan (August 29th)
Diamond Head (August 31st)
Rise Against, Pierce The Veil and Whitelung (September 20th)
Roger Waters (October 22nd)
Cattle Decapitation, Revocation, Full of Hell and Artificial Brain (October 23rd)
\m/

I only attended two in my life time: Joan Jett and Kansas, and I don't know when I'm going to my next concert. :unsure:

Autumn is a great time for going to gigs. I'm off to see The Horrors on October 24th, The Killers at the start of November and Howard Jones at the end of November. All at different venues in Birmingham.

• Like 3

On 11/07/2017 at 03:03, FixedBusiness said:

Right, guess I'll post my concerts I'm attending for the rest of 2017 that I know of, in order
Streetheart (minus Kenny Shields, he is recovering from surgery), Honeymoon Suite, Harlequin and The Pumps & Orphan (August 29th)
Cattle Decapitation, Revocation, Full of Hell and Artificial Brain (October 23rd)
\m/

Diamond Head - respect; heard they're great and never seen 'em

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Diamond Head - respect; heard they're great and never seen 'em

Yes, and they influenced Metallica and many other of the more popular metal/hard rock bands!
Also, Sublime/Offspring was a great show.

Two days into Ramblin' Man I've seen some highly obitable oldsers in fine form. Graham Bonnet (nearly 70) being a lively surprise and the former drug casualty Glenn Hughes also in stunning voice. Rain lashed (though today promises better) but the real death's door cases yesterday were punters shipping endless shots and strong beers to avoid leaving the bar tents. Saw some people - literally - walking around in circles. Today promises the rutund delight of the one original Focus man Thijs van Leer

1200px-Thijs_van_Leer_2014_(14136035756)

• Like 1

On 17/07/2017 at 21:40, Prosperina said:

Autumn is a great time for going to gigs. I'm off to see The Horrors on October 24th, The Killers at the start of November and Howard Jones at the end of November. All at different venues in Birmingham.

I wish the trains ran a bit later.  I can't go to anything in Brum without staying overnight. 

Anyway this morning I managed to score a ticket for Robert Plant at the Royal Albert Hall.   happy-dancing.gif

• Like 3

On 25 August 2017 at 22:11, Toast said:

I wish the trains ran a bit later.  I can't go to anything in Brum without staying overnight. 

Anyway this morning I managed to score a ticket for Robert Plant at the Royal Albert Hall.   happy-dancing.gif

There are usually trains to Crewe, Shrewsbury and Wolverhampton late at night from New St. Not much heading South though

3 hours ago, Prosperina said:

There are usually trains to Crewe, Shrewsbury and Wolverhampton late at night from New St. Not much heading South though

Yeah, Oxford would do me.  Not much to ask, really.

On 7/10/2017 at 21:03, FixedBusiness said:

\m/

Right, little review of each one that has passed and one I just saw today.
The Offspring/Sublime: Amazing show! Rome is an amazing musician and a great fit for Sublime, the sound was great even if it was in a odd venue (a convention center, that's weird for me :P ) The Offspring show was really energetic, those guys still have it!
Streetheart, Honeymoon Suite, Harlequin, Pumps and Orphan and a guest they added to the schedule after Kenny Shields passed away, Loverboy: An amazing tribute show to Kenny Shields. I got the pleasure to talk with Streetheart's guitarist before the show and he was a really nice and knowledgeable guy about music and Kenny's memories! Honeymoon Suite was very good, Harlequin was very good, I had never heard of Pumps and Orphan prior to this but I'm glad I saw them, because they were great too. Loverboy was of course a highlight since they are a major band  not only in Canada but in North America.
Diamondhead and opening band 500 lb Furnace: Great show. Opening act was amazing and I got the pleasure of talking with the lead singer of the opening band before the show. Really nice dudes. Diamond Head were heavy as ever and the guitar sound was some of the best!
New show I saw today: I heard about this a couple of days ago, they were having this event at the beach, so I traveled down there and saw this cool Celtic rock band from my city of Winnipeg named The Dust Rhinos. They are most notable here (I think) for doing a cover of Solsbury Hill, but all of their other songs are really good too! I met the guys after the show too and they are very humorous and talented. Recommended check out if you like that type of music.

Little update on the Rise Against show. Maybe I could've made an update about this after Oct 23rd but this show was too awesome so it deserved it's own post :D

First on set was Whitelung. They are a punk rock group from British Columbia. I had never heard a song by them prior to the show but their show was full of energy and promise and I think I will check out more of their stuff! Next was Pierce The Veil, and these are one of the bands I used to hate for no reason, but I absolutely love now. They are kind of like Coheed and Cambria (best comparision I can make honestly, there may be a few here who know who Coheed and Cambria is or atleast know Claudio Sanchez and his comic book work.) They are basically post-hardcore/emo. PTV's show was very good and energetic and I have to say that, IMO, Vic Fuentes' (the singer/guitarist of the band) voice gets better with age. Last but not least was of course Rise Against. Rise Against is a melodic hardcore band if you don't know who they are. Their lyrics promote awareness for PETA and stuff like that, in short, they are vegan, and actually straight-edge (minus the drummer, who is vegan but not straight-edge). I'm personally not vegan or vegetarian (meat is too good, y'know?) But I think their songwriting and even their music videos have truth to them. Anyways, they rocked! They proved they can still rock as heavy as ever after about 18 years (you'd be suprised how many bands there are from around that time like Coldplay, Nickelback, Weezer, etc, who completely changed or sold out or just suck now.)
Anyways, ratings. Whitelung - 9/10 
PTV - 8/10
RA - 10/10
see you next update which will be after Cattle Decap :D 

Just back from seeing The Pretenders.  Cracking gig.  Chrissie can still belt them out.

• Like 2

Alright, back from the shows and I have to say that both shows were amazing it's hard to choose which was better
For those who don't know who I'm talking about, it was Roger Waters Oct 22nd and Artificial Brain, Full Of Hell, Revocation and Cattle Decapitation the 23rd. Really interesting back to back show differences (Hard/Experimental/Progressive rock to Deathgrind/Goregrind/Noise lol)
The Roger Waters show had a visual and light show that was out of this world. Pink Floyd usually never disappoints with that kind of stuff. Roger's vocal performances are still great even for 70+. There was a point where it looked like he was limping off to the side of the stage, I couldn't tell if that was on purpose or if it was real, he seemed to be fine after though. There was also some pretty cool backing musicians and some dancing/singing girls (they were the girls from an Indie rock group named Lucius). Overall an amazing experience and if you can find tickets to any of his shows I strongly recommend to go. i got tickets early so I had pretty good seats (no nosebleeds huehuehue)

Next night (aka last night) was Artificial Brain, Full Of Hell, Revocation, and Cattle Decap. Artificial Brain was a very powerful show. Apparently, their vocalist couldn't make it to Canada, don't know the reason, so they had a fill in vocalist from Vancouver. The guitars had very good sound and there was a little moshing going around. I was right at the front with some friends so didn't get into the mosh too much. For Full Of Hell, we were standing front and middle of the stage so the vocalist (Dylan) was right above us looking like he was giving the microphone a blowjob. Full Of Hell mixes deathgrind with noise so the noise electronics were really cool. The drumming was also really powerful and sounding really sick. We met with the members of Full Of Hell after their show and Dylan asked us how old we were. We were (there was 3 of us btw) 16. We also got a picture with Dylan. Really cool guy. Next was Revocation. My friends aren't really big fans of Revocation or any technical death metal but I am. We stood behind a few rows from where we usually were. The guitars and vocals sounded VERY good, and Dave is especially really good at lead guitar. The drumming of course was sick too. There was even a blind guy stagediving. Not much else to say. Cattle Decapitation was easily the highlight of the night with big powerful drums, big amazing riffs and great basslines, and of course Travis Ryan's signature vocals. Dude the show was sooooo disgusting I loved it. Got thrown into the mosh which was pretty awesome.
Roger Waters - 10/10
Artificial Brain - 9/10 (too bad their set was so short :/)
Full Of Hell - 10/10
Revocation - 10/10 (was 9/10 until I saw the stagediving blind guy)
Cattle Decap - 10/10.

A serious question

Anyone here seen Paul - Beautiful South - Heaton since he's been solo and duo touring?

Playing near me next summer and Mrs MPFC has expressed interest. Not my kind of music but she's talked me along to the likes of Pulp in the past who were a better show than I'd expected.

26 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

A serious question

Anyone here seen Paul - Beautiful South - Heaton since he's been solo and duo touring?

Playing near me next summer and Mrs MPFC has expressed interest. Not my kind of music but she's talked me along to the likes of Pulp in the past who were a better show than I'd expected.

Ahhh, now I've certainly wanted to see Jackie Abbott and Mr Heaton for a while now.

Not normally my kind of thing but, together, they make it work for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Ahhh, now I've certainly wanted to see Jackie Abbott and Mr Heaton for a while now.

Not normally my kind of thing but, together, they make it work for me.

Aye, cheers for that. I always rated his sardonic humour in BS lyrics but I'm more wondering if a chubby middle-aged bloke who's fond of a pint or six can put on much of a show. To be fair Neil Young still rocks into his seventies (on the evidence of last year) and did a good job at the 02; by contrast this lot are playing a forest in front of a mere 3000 or so on a - likely - sunny summer evening. So likely a pleasant night out all round.

• Like 1

Saw Nick Lowe and Los Straitjackets last night at the Turf Club in St. Paul, Minnesota. Was working the merch table for them. I get to do the same tonight. Nick.and the guys were in awesome form. Basher is having a revival of his career since Yep Roc reissued his back catalogue.

And the good news is, I get to work with them again tonight.

• Like 1

I saw Annie Clark aka St. Vincent aka the former girlfriend of Cara Delevigne two days ago.

It was ok. She came alone, without the band. While you go to her concerts to see her shred you to pieces with her guitar, and we got that, it was just slightly underwhelming.

• Like 1