Brinsworth House Baiter

Been To Any Good Gigs Lately?

Ben Folds played the Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow tonight. Him and his piano. And he held us gently in his hands for over two hours.

Awesome.

• Like 2

I went to see the Rolling Stones last night.  It was FUCKING FANTASTIC. 

I'm going again on Friday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toast said:

I went to see the Rolling Stones last night.  It was FUCKING FANTASTIC. 

I'm going again on Friday.

You must be well minted if you can afford tickets twice!

27 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

You must be well minted if you can afford tickets twice!

There are very affordable ways of seeing the Stones if you're prepared to take a chance on where you sit/stand.  ;)

• Like 1

So my friend flew down from Chicago and we saw Midge Ure do his acoustic set from about 10’ away.  Enjoyed the show immensely, and his daughter Ruby was selling CDs and T-shirt’s.  So met her too.  Apparently she attends Univ of Texas in Austin.  

SC

889D1B7F-C609-40FE-8058-465FCFB4AD4F.jpeg

2F065661-AA75-4E2A-B28A-A8E4EE28DFED.jpeg

• Like 1

I was supposed to see Lou Gramm tonight but due to a stupid and over-enthusiastic promoter it's been moved to August. I am not going to an outdoor concert in Dallas in August. No way in hell - and it will be hell. Not only am I not going to suffer, I am allergic to seeing one of my favorite singers die of heatstroke. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, CarolAnn said:

I was supposed to see Lou Gramm tonight but due to a stupid and over-enthusiastic promoter it's been moved to August. I am not going to an outdoor concert in Dallas in August. No way in hell - and it will be hell. Not only am I not going to suffer, I am allergic to seeing one of my favorite singers die of heatstroke. 

But you were going to go tonight?  What is the temp in the Big D, 85F?  Sorry to hear your show got bumped in any case.

On 06/06/2018 at 23:42, Sir Creep said:

But you were going to go tonight?  What is the temp in the Big D, 85F?  Sorry to hear your show got bumped in any case.

It's been around 85 at night, yeah, but in August it will be closer to 95 and more humid. 

Last gig I saw was Monaco Blues Band, in Stockholm. They played OK but way too loud. That was in 1983

I’m off to see The Breeders on 11 July in Birmingham. Can’t wait!

Just now, Toast said:

The Stones again, but .... this .....

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/thousands-of-rolling-stones-fans-face-travel-meltdown-after-twickenham-concert-a3867216.html

Did get home eventually, but it was all very stressful and I am crippled today. 

Better choice than Pearl Jam, lots of annoyance on twitter at that cancellation.

I'm working the merch table for Wreckless Eric tonight. Will try to take a photo if I can sneak to the front.

20180707_221107.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Phantom said:

I'm working the merch table for Wreckless Eric tonight. Will try to take a photo if I can sneak to the front.

Back in the day I had a brilliant compilation album called 'That Summer' which included 'Whole Wide World'.  I played it to death.  I think it was a film soundtrack. 

It was never released on CD, I'd buy it again if it was.

51FCjoSVbBL.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Toast said:

Back in the day I had a brilliant compilation album (I think it was a film soundtrack) which included 'Whole Wide World'. 

Back in the day I had a brilliant compilation album called 'That Summer' which included 'Whole Wide World'.  I played it to death.  I think it was a film soundtrack. 

It was never released on CD, I'd buy it again if it was.

51FCjoSVbBL.jpg

Some decent stuff on that album. As a "thank you" for last night, Eric gave me a copy of his latest album on vinyl. I already had it on CD.

It wasn't just the gig, and being given the honour of running his merch table, what capped it for me was having dinner with him before the gig.

36767957_10156175198576418_412512195528622080_n.jpg

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Some decent stuff on that album. As a "thank you" for last night, Eric gave me a copy of his latest album on vinyl. I already had it on CD.

It wasn't just the gig, and being given the honour of running his merch table, what capped it for me was having dinner with him before the gig.

36767957_10156175198576418_412512195528622080_n.jpg

Totally lost tocuh with his work some time ago

So, some random facts I just looked up

- He's Gemma Arterton's cousin

- One of his albums is called The Donovan of Trash

Goog gig I take it?

21 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Totally lost tocuh with his work some time ago

So, some random facts I just looked up

- He's Gemma Arterton's cousin

- One of his albums is called The Donovan of Trash

Goog gig I take it?

Oh yes, it was a great gig. I think after everything and helping him load up his car, got out of the venue at 2am.

9 hours ago, Phantom said:

Oh yes, it was a great gig. I think after everything and helping him load up his car, got out of the venue at 2am.

Tbh looking at those tour dates I was pleasantly surprised to find he's got such a following in the US.

Might check him out back in the UK

8 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Tbh looking at those tour dates I was pleasantly surprised to find he's got such a following in the US.

Might check him out back in the UK

He does all his own bookings.

He will drive 8 hours to play in front of 100 people (which is what he did the other night). He draws more of a crowd when he is playing for Amy Rigby (his wife). 

Went to see The Breeders on Wednesday at the Institute inBirmngham. Excellent night and a rare opportunity to see them in this country. Well supported by a young Dutch quartet - their name escapes me at present.

• Like 1

Got my Texas dirt country music on last night; saw Cody Jinks in a 2500 seat auditorium (that was full); last time I saw him was in a bar what held 250 people, maybe 3 years ago.
Only other band that happened with was The Cult, who had just changed their name from Southern Death Cult around 1984 and I saw at a similar 250 person venue, only to see them their next tour 2 years later at a 2500 seat auditorium.  Ian Astbury said 'I doubt any of you saw us last time we were here' and I'm yelling right here mate!  But he was right, couldn't have been more than a dozen of us if they took a head count.
SC

• Like 1

My mate reported back from Latitude saying Liam Gallagher's set was pretty spirited though his subsequent call for an Oasis reunion might have had something to do with the way his solo songs had people wandering off and the Oasis hits led to sudden rushes towards the tent. Either way, Noel continues to say "Never" which might translate as "I'm holding out for a monster stack of wedge and we'll only play Manchester City's ground.

Oh aye, and my mate also said Brandon Flowers' teeth were so improbably white they were off-putting at 50 yards.

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Oh aye, and my mate also said Brandon Flowers' teeth were so improbably white they were off-putting at 50 yards

Well, that is why they call him Mr Brightside :D