Brinsworth House Baiter

Been To Any Good Gigs Lately?

10 hours ago, FixedBusiness said:

Well, that is why they call him Mr Brightside :D

I'd have to add to that a similar dazzling experience last year seeing Glen Hughes (ex Deep Purple - prodigious cocaine use back in the day which did him few favours since he was allegedly a bit of an egomaniac before he started that). He came onto a festival stage with passing showers and a grey sky all of which meant his expensive teeth hit those of us in the front rows with the power of floodlighting. I think those of us gig goers hereabouts should start an informal competition to find the furthest distance from a stage at which we've been blinded by improbably white teeth. I'd say I was at least five rows back and a good forty/fifty feet from Glenn Hughes.

Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul last night at Shepherd's Bush Empire. 

Totally unplanned as I was offered the ticket by an internet acquaintance whose missus couldn't go.  Top gig, and the stranger whose car I happily jumped into did not turn out to be an axe murderer, so win-win.

Worked for Rosie Flores at a small private gig yesterday. 

She was backed up by Ruby James (guitar, backing vocals & percussion), Tommy Vee (bass), Bennett Vee (drums), and Clay Williams (slide guitar).

Tommy Vee is one of the sons of the late Bobby Vee, and Bennett is Tommy's son. 

The gig was a pre-birthday celebration for Rosie's 68th birthday which is today.

20180909_174155.jpg

• Like 1

This past weekend I attended all three days of the F1 Grand Prix in Austin, TX.  What a great time!  
Racing aside, we also got to see Bruno Mars on Saturday and Britney Spears (save it, it comes with the ticket) on Sunday.  Check, and check. 
They were both exactly what you think they would be.
SC

F1_2018_1600x700.jpg

• Haha 1

In the last couple of weeks I’ve seen Ash and Johnny Marr both at the Institute in Birmingham. Ash were very good, but Mr Marr is a genius! Check out his latest album.

I have 2 gigs coming up in the next couple of weeks

First one is the annual Horton's Holiday Hay Ride with Reverend Horton Heat, The Blasters, Junior Brown, and Big Sandy.

Second one is J.D. McPherson's Rock 'n' Roll Christmas Tour with special guest Eddie Angel's Guitar Party.

I'll be working the merchandise table for Big Sandy on the first night, and for Eddie Angel's Guitar Party on the second night. 

Went to see Greta Van Fleet on Monday at Kentish Town Forum.  We arrived just before the support band came on (Goodbye June, who were pretty good) and the place was already packed.  Unfortunately the retro-70s vibe extended to the main band keeping us waiting a full hour before coming on.  It was a hot, cramped and uncomfortable wait.   And tediously boring.  GVF were excellent when they did finally grace us with their presence, but I was flagging by then, and I'm used to standing gigs.  I had managed to worm my way through to a spot with a decent view but annoyingly they deployed a lot of silly dry ice effects and were just blurred dark silhouettes throughout much  of the show.  Sort the lighting out and be punctual, boys - some things are best left in the 1970s.

18 hours ago, Toast said:

Went to see Greta Van Fleet on Monday at Kentish Town Forum.  We arrived just before the support band came on (Goodbye June, who were pretty good) and the place was already packed.  Unfortunately the retro-70s vibe extended to the main band keeping us waiting a full hour before coming on.  It was a hot, cramped and uncomfortable wait.   And tediously boring.  GVF were excellent when they did finally grace us with their presence, but I was flagging by then, and I'm used to standing gigs.  I had managed to worm my way through to a spot with a decent view but annoyingly they deployed a lot of silly dry ice effects and were just blurred dark silhouettes throughout much  of the show.  Sort the lighting out and be punctual, boys - some things are best left in the 1970s.

I didn’t realize they had become anything outside of Michigan.

I hate anything which is branded as a gig

you do something fun or you don't if you feel the need to use the word gig it probably means you have not enjoyed something as much as you thought you should have and yet you feel the need to show it off to the world 

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, runebomme said:

I hate anything which is branded as a gig

you do something fun or you don't if you feel the need to use the word gig it probably means you have not enjoyed something as much as you thought you should have and yet you feel the need to show it off to the world 

Sorry what? In the context of this thread it's exactly the right word, I wouldn't say "I went to the Lee Mac's do something fun at the Apollo last night" or "I'm thinking of buying tickets to Parkway Drive's do something fun at the Apollo in January" - because I'd sound like a moron. 

gig

a live performance by a musician or group playing popular or jazz music.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Sorry what? In the context of this thread it's exactly the right word, I wouldn't say "I went to the Lee Mac's do something fun at the Apollo last night" or "I'm thinking of buying tickets to Parkway Drive's do something fun at the Apollo in January" - because I'd sound like a moron. 

gig 

no argument it's definitely the right word for you

1 minute ago, runebomme said:

no argument it's definitely the right word for you

They were examples using random acts but this entire thread is about those sorts of gigs, so I'm struggling to see your objection.

I mean we could use the word show, but they are essentially interchangeable at this juncture.

9 minutes ago, Deathray said:

They were examples using random acts but this entire thread is about those sorts of gigs, so I'm struggling to see your objection.

I mean we could use the word show, but they are essentially interchangeable at this juncture.

gig is a general term which the sheep/snowflakes/PcIdiots will use to show to the world that they have done something

I am against fox hunting

I cry in front of refugees

I am a vegan

I been to a gig

57 minutes ago, runebomme said:

gig is a general term which the sheep/snowflakes/PcIdiots will use to show to the world that they have done something

I am against fox hunting

I am a vegan

I been to a gig

Yeah that's bollocks, the word gig was invented by boomers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I didn’t realize they had become anything outside of Michigan.

Their gigs/shows/concerts/performances/recitals/do something funs :rolleyes: are selling out worldwide.

http://www.gretavanfleet.com/tour

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, runebomme said:

I am against fox hunting

I am a vegan

I been to a gig

In use since the 1920s according to the Oxford English Dictionary.

gig, n.

Pronunciation:  Brit. /ɡɪɡ/  U.S. /ɡɪɡ/
Frequency (in current use): 
Etymology: Origin unknown.
colloq.

An engagement for a musician or musicians playing jazz, dance music, etc.; spec. a ‘one-night stand’; also, the place of such a performance. Also transf. and attributive.

1926   Melody Maker Sept. 7   One popular ‘gig’ band makes use of a nicely printed booklet.
1927   Melody Maker May 457/3   This seven-piece combination does many ‘gigs’ in S.E. London, but is hoping to secure a resident engagement at Leamington in the near future.
1934   S. R. Nelson All about Jazz vi. 113   Jack runs numerous bands which play ‘gig’ work—i.e. private engagements or public work. In his office, he has a file in which some hundreds of ‘gig’ musicians are listed.
1964   L. Hairston in J. H. Clarke Harlem 287   Pa—knockin' hisself out on a mail-handler gig at the Post Office where the pay is so lousy he's gotta work a part-time gig.
1965   G. Melly Owning-up vii. 80   Another Proustian gig was the Civic Hall, Nantwich. We played there fairly regularly right through the 'fifties.
1969   Observer 12 Jan. 31/5   Leading groups will be given two hours in which to play what they want, without the limitations imposed by commercial gigs.

• Like 1

A little dream came true: I saw Kylie Minogue live yesterday! :wub:
As a fan since 1988, that was absolutely necessary and I have not regretted it: Kylie is cute and friendly, communicates with the audience and the show was also really good.
In love with you for 30 years, dear Kylie! :wub:

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

David Byrne was excellent. Really puts on a show, and even played some Talking Heads tunes.

I've not seen backing singers have to work so hard. Not only singing at the right pitch and in time, but doing choreographed dance routines at the same time. Definitely worth the admission money.

3 hours ago, Heef said:

David Byrne was excellent. Really puts on a show, and even played some Talking Heads tunes.

I've not seen backing singers have to work so hard. Not only singing at the right pitch and in time, but doing choreographed dance routines at the same time. Definitely worth the admission money.

Yeah, I wish I'd gone to see him in Oxford. By all accounts he was spectacular.   Just couldn't fit it in time or money-wise. :(

Went to see Reverend Horton Heat with The Blasters, Junior Brown, and Big Sandy for the 2nd Horton's Holiday Hayride. 

4 hour long show, managed to get partial autographs on the Blasters CDs that I bought. First time seeing Junior Brown in concert, he was absolutely fantastic. Reverend Horton Heat did nearly 2 hours with Big Sandy coming on stage for half of that. 

I have been good pals with Big Sandy for about 10 years ever since I helped with their merchandise table, so after the show is got to sit with Reverend Horton Heat, have some whiskey and pizza and they very kindly autographed their new album for me

20181129_011844-1.jpg

• Like 1

On 17/11/2018 at 02:36, Deathray said:

gig

'gig' is synonymous with 'show' or 'set'.  I must be missing something.  Perhaps they have a problem with 'show' and/or 'set' as well.

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

'gig' is synonymous with 'show' or 'set'.  I must be missing something.  Perhaps they have a problem with 'show' and/or 'set' as well.

"Gig" is usually associated with a small venue.

I guess the show is went to last night could be defined as a "concert". 

But who cares, it was awesome!

35 minutes ago, Phantom said:

"Gig" is usually associated with a small venue.

I guess the show is went to last night could be defined as a "concert". 

But who cares, it was awesome!

@runebomme

• Haha 1

A "gig'' is a job/position you bunch of retarded cuntos.

Close the fucking thread.

• Thanks 1

And another fun one from last night

20181130_001654-1.jpg