Brinsworth House Baiter

Been To Any Good Gigs Lately?

Total bucket list, every one of you honkeys can be jealous.  First ‘45’ I ever bought was Tear the Roof off the Sucker - Parliament.  I was about 12.  43 years later I see it performed live, first time ever I was in House of Blues in N’awlins.  Had to see George Clinton & Parliament/Funkadelic before he (or I) died.  

Great time!

SC

5DDC4C1A-0B13-4F80-97E1-79032B6EC475.jpeg

DAF4A5F8-14A9-429F-9D9D-4C4B3835C85E.jpeg

• Like 2

Just got back from seeing Nick Lowe at the Dakota Jazz Room in Minneapolis. He's in fine form. Performed an hour and a half long solo acoustic set with 2 encores.

• Like 3

Tonight I will be working for Linda Gail Lewis (sister of Jerry Lee Lewis) and Robbie Fulks.  

I will upload a couple of photos from last night's gig with Robbie Fulks and Linda Gail Lewis. Meanwhile here's a photo of a ticket stub.

20190222_073659-1.jpg

Robbie Fulks and Linda Gail Lewis. Apologies for the grainy photo, it was taken from the back of a dark venue while I was standing on a chair at the merch table. 

RF3.jpg

Working the merch table for Reckless Ones. A rockabilly trio formerly based in Minnesota, but moves to California a few years ago.

First up on the bill is a new band called Teenage Exorcist, followed by Liquor Beats Winter.

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Bit far for me, ta, but I did go and see The Stranglers earlier this week.

Just about my favourite band, them.

Yesterday I finally had the opportunity to see Loreena McKennitt live. A dream came true and the concert was absolutely fantastic! I was so moved all the time that I cried with every song. That may sound silly to you, but I could not stop the tears. I have never experienced anything like it!

• Like 1

Saw Garfunkel live last night. Was on stage for about hour and a quarter, with a 15 minute break in the middle. His son (!) had a solo in each half and there were anecdotes or poetry (!!) between most songs. Lost his thread with the talking a couple of times and looked a bit frail. However when he started singing most of the voice was still there and there were enough magical moments to make it a worthwhile and moving evening. We only got 2 verses of bridge over troubled waters but sounds of silence and bright eyes were both great. Anyone who can still sing like that isn't about to keel over but would guess he won't be touring much longer. Not one for 2020 but I saw contemporaries the Stones last year and he was much frailer than any of them. 2022-3 would be my guess.

All in the space of one day I got to see Nashville Pussy, Guitar Wolf, The Turbo AC's, and last but definitely not least, The 5.6.7.8s.

It was my job on Sunday to help unload their equipment, show them to the green room. Each band autographed and album or two for me, and during my breaks got to hang out with them. 

Got tickets for Southern Culture on the Skids, and Stiff Little Fingers.

Just bought my ticket for Reverend Horton Heat with The Delta Bombers and Bloodshot Bill which is at the end of next month.

20190523_201705-1.jpg

I'm going to see John Otway and Wild Willy Barrett next week.

34 minutes ago, Toast said:

I'm going to see John Otway and Wild Willy Barrett next week.

Please say "hi" from me. Is it just Otway and Barrett, or will the Big Band be there too?

Just the dynamic duo I think, but not sure.

• Like 1

Took other half to see (ahem) Michael Buble the other night. Not really my thing but he's quite charismatic and does what he does pretty well, if you like that sort of thing. audience loved him although he lost them for a bit in the middle, told an anecdote about visiting Bournemouth and made a few mildly off colour remarks about old people which were received in silence - after all this time doesn't seem to have noticed that his fan base are not edgy teenagers but their parents (and in some ases grandparents). He got tham back on side well before the end though. Reasonable night out but given I had to pay Viagogo £350 for a pair of tickets won't be doing it again. 

In his 40s now and filling out a bit but obviously not going to be of interest to us professionally for decades.

On 25/10/2015 at 17:03, maryportfuncity said:
On 25/10/2015 at 15:05, Lard Bazaar said:
On 25/10/2015 at 11:09, time said:

On 25/10/2015 at 10:53, maryportfuncity said:

Meant to mention I saw China Crisis, booked by a mate and done mainly cos it involved eating pizza with the gig. Was amazed both how funny - in a sardonic way - they were and how good a gig. Might well do them again if and when they decide to come my way.

A friend of mine of mine saw them a couple of weeks ago; said pretty much the same.I'll also have to look out for them round these parts again.

I used to vaguely know a bloke who used to come into the pub where I worked and I'm sure that he worked as a session musician with them and he hung himself in his kitchen.

ETA It was the drummer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Wilkinson- if I remember rightly his poor children found him.

Yeah, things that amazed me about China Crisis

1 - They are funny in the sarcy and grim northern manner of The Smiths

2 - They are actually a damn good show.

3 - Their history is - to say the least - troubled, along with the suicide one of the main duo also assaulted their manager to the point that criminal charges were on the way before a mutual parting was agreed which saved a prison sentence but also did serious harm to their career (apart from anything else, it gave them trouble finding new management with any - no pun intended - clout).

Got tickets to see China Crisis in September. 

I remembered this discussion when they cropped up in the listings for one of our local venues, so thought it worth a go.

16 hours ago, Toast said:

Got tickets to see China Crisis in September. 

I remembered this discussion when they cropped up in the listings for one of our local venues, so thought it worth a go.

Enjoy!

Share any between song barbed banter they throw in.

• Like 1

Paul Weller at Bedgebury last night. Beautiful forest setting, full moon hanging in the sky and a strange willingness to play Jam #1 hits!

Brilliant, basically

64219986_10155955356735981_6224465088686

• Like 1

On 02/06/2018 at 05:08, Sir Creep said:

So my friend flew down from Chicago and we saw Midge Ure do his acoustic set from about 10’ away.  Enjoyed the show immensely, and his daughter Ruby was selling CDs and T-shirt’s.  So met her too.  Apparently she attends Univ of Texas in Austin.  

SC

2F065661-AA75-4E2A-B28A-A8E4EE28DFED.jpeg

UPDATE!

8 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

UPDATE!

Cool. I had no idea he was on tour in the US. 

29 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Cool. I had no idea he was on tour in the US. 

OH this was from last year's tour (as per the date)  
As stated, she said to me she was going to UT-Austin, but update says she was in Brighton at Univ of Sussex, where I was supposed to go to university @Boudicca :(

13 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

OH this was from last year's tour (as per the date)  
As stated, she said to me she was going to UT-Austin, but update says she was in Brighton at Univ of Sussex, where I was supposed to go to university @Boudicca :(

I didn't notice the date, just saw the photos. 

Going to see The Vibrators next week.

Then in a few more weeks I will working for Nick Lowe

• Like 2