Brinsworth House Baiter

Been To Any Good Gigs Lately?

Saw Herman's Hermits last night.

Got to meet Peter Noone after the show.

My daughter was excited to meet him.

She had him autograph a CD, I had him autograph a photo for my mum.

Peter puts on a really good show.

Well worth going to see him if you get a chance 

• Like 1

On 25/10/2015 at 17:03, maryportfuncity said:
On 25/10/2015 at 15:05, Lard Bazaar said:

On 25/10/2015 at 11:09, time said:

On 25/10/2015 at 10:53, maryportfuncity said:

Meant to mention I saw China Crisis, booked by a mate and done mainly cos it involved eating pizza with the gig. Was amazed both how funny - in a sardonic way - they were and how good a gig. Might well do them again if and when they decide to come my way.

A friend of mine of mine saw them a couple of weeks ago; said pretty much the same.I'll also have to look out for them round these parts again.

I used to vaguely know a bloke who used to come into the pub where I worked and I'm sure that he worked as a session musician with them and he hung himself in his kitchen.

ETA It was the drummer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Wilkinson- if I remember rightly his poor children found him.

Yeah, things that amazed me about China Crisis

1 - They are funny in the sarcy and grim northern manner of The Smiths

2 - They are actually a damn good show.

3 - Their history is - to say the least - troubled, along with the suicide one of the main duo also assaulted their manager to the point that criminal charges were on the way before a mutual parting was agreed which saved a prison sentence but also did serious harm to their career (apart from anything else, it gave them trouble finding new management with any - no pun intended - clout).

China Crisis came to our neck of the woods tonight, so I took up the recommendations since they were an 80s band I'd never seen.

We really enjoyed it (although my mate could not recall a single one of their songs :lol:).  Great banter and entertaining all round.

Going to Hyde Park on Sunday for the Radio 2 event which is a rather mixed bag to say the least.   The people who talked me into going have dropped out :rolleyes: but I shall be happy to see Bananarama and Status Quo, and intend to use the Westlife set to improve my position ready for the Pet Shop Boys.  Woof woof!

• Haha 1

Excellent gig by Nick Lowe and Los Straitjackets.

First night of the tour, Nick did 3 encores and hung out with a few fans backstage. 

20190913_173543.jpg

9 hours ago, Toast said:

China Crisis came to our neck of the woods tonight, so I took up the recommendations since they were an 80s band I'd never seen.

We really enjoyed it (although my mate could not recall a single one of their songs :lol:).  Great banter and entertaining all round.

Going to Hyde Park on Sunday for the Radio 2 event which is a rather mixed bag to say the least.   The people who talked me into going have dropped out :rolleyes: but I shall be happy to see Bananarama and Status Quo, and intend to use the Westlife set to improve my position ready for the Pet Shop Boys.  Woof woof!

Gary - China Crisis - Daly has just released his first solo album. Coming to a cult radio show immintently!

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Gary - China Crisis - Daly has just released his first solo album. Coming to a cult radio show immintently!

For some reason he was not allowed to sell it in the venue, as he made reference to having some in his bag, and to catch him on the way out if we wanted one, but he wouldn't be hanging about, or wtte.

We had noticed that there was no merch stall.  Because we came in during the support act and as there had been no mention of a support we didn't (and still don't) have a clue who they were.  So I looked (as nobody else seemed to know either!) but there was nothing, not even merch for CC, which is unusual.

On 14/09/2019 at 13:05, Toast said:

For some reason he was not allowed to sell it in the venue, as he made reference to having some in his bag, and to catch him on the way out if we wanted one, but he wouldn't be hanging about, or wtte.

We had noticed that there was no merch stall.  Because we came in during the support act and as there had been no mention of a support we didn't (and still don't) have a clue who they were.  So I looked (as nobody else seemed to know either!) but there was nothing, not even merch for CC, which is unusual.

Shame, his solo album is really good.

On 14/09/2019 at 02:08, Toast said:

Well, that was fun.  Relatively easy to get good spots too.   Mercifully Tragically Westlife only got a 30 minute slot, but Quo were good value as always and PSBs were excellent.   On iplayer apparently, so judge for yourselves.

I took the dog to church this morning as there was a Pet Blessing Service, so what with that and seeing the Pet Shop Boys there was a pleasing symmetry to the day.  I like a good singalong :  All Things Bright & Beautiful this morning, It's A Sin this evening.  :)

• Like 2

Just realised I achieved an interesting double yesterday.  Seeing 'Rocking All Over The World' performed in Hyde Park by

1.  The man who wrote it, assisted by Bruce Springsteen.

2.  The band who are most associated with it.

The first time I saw Status Quo, the song hadn't even been written :rolleyes:   d020.gif

• Like 1

Worked for Big Sandy and his Fly-Rite Boys last night 

Managed to get Robert Williams aka Big Sandy to autograph a coaster that was released as a set a few months ago.

So now I have all of the signed

Jim Horton (Reverend Horton Heat), Phil Alvin of The Blasters, Junior Brown, and Lastly Big Sandy.

20190919_081847-1.jpg

• Like 1

Saw Stiff Little Fingers Monday night.

They performed the Inflammable Material album in its entirety, along with a new one "16 shots" which is about a Laquan McDonald who was shot 16 times by police while caught stealing a car. 9 of those shots were from behind.

Was fortunate to meet Jake after the show. 

• Like 1

Saw Robbie Fulks on Sunday night as he was doing a mini tour to promote his new album "16" which is a tribute to Bob Dylan. It's a double album with new arrangements of the entire Street Legal album. The reason it's called 16, is because Fulks was 16 when he first listened to it.

Working for Eilen Jewell tomorrow night as she is playing Minneapolis as part of her album release tour for the album "Gypsy".

I saw the Happy Mondays in Frome on Wednesday, not my usual tipple but the old man wanted to go, as it was he ended up immobile with gout so I went with my best mate, it was OK, I didn’t know any songs well enough to sing along but still a fun night, undoubtedly the star of the show was Rowetta, for a lady in her 50s she looks fucking FIT AS FUCK and has a voice strong enough to make your balls shrivel and die, I was totally impressed by her, and of course the maraca-wielding Bez who still looked chonged off his tits, did his dancing thing but age is obviously showing as he had knee supports on both legs under his shorts and he kept having to go off for a little sit down.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Welcome back Lard. :) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

I saw the Happy Mondays in Frome on Wednesday, not my usual tipple but the old man wanted to go, as it was he ended up immobile with gout so I went with my best mate, it was OK, I didn’t know any songs well enough to sing along but still a fun night, undoubtedly the star of the show was Rowetta, for a lady in her 50s she looks fucking FIT AS FUCK and has a voice strong enough to make your balls shrivel and die, I was totally impressed by her, and of course the maraca-wielding Bez who still looked changed off his tits, did his dancing thing but age is obviously showing as he had knee supports on both legs under his shorts and he kept having to go off for a little sit down.   

Sounds fun! It's been far too long without your presence round here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, msc said:

Sounds fun! It's been far too long without your presence round here.

That of course should have said chonged off his tits, sorry, I’m eating a jumbo sausage and not concentrating.

Just thought I’d pop in and have a look around :)

• Like 1

Saw Emeli Sande the other night. Has developed an unfortunate tendency to include trite moralising/self help cliches in both her  lyrics and between song patter. More pleas for world peace than a 1980s Miss World competition. When she shut up and got on with it very good concert though.Great voice and still has that wide range, although think she may regret writing some of those songs on 'Our version of events' in such stratospheric keys in years to come - one or two early high notes were hit but only just and we didn't get 'My kind of love', although we did get all the other hits. The new album has 2 or 3 very good tracks but most of it falls some way short of 'Events'.

Helped out doing the merch table for a friend's band as part  of their record release party.

As a nice little treat, Melanie Vammen (The Muffs, Pandora's, and also The Coolies) joined them on stage for a couple of songs.

Imagine being on a place on our earth where there are no human habitats for 30 miles in any direction.
Imagine the absolute dumb luck of this coming to Carlsbad, NM, merely 70 minutes away.
Was a good night out, albeit by myself.
“The Black Jacket Symphony comes to the Walter Gerrells PAC on February 27th to perform Pink Floyd's "The Dark Side of the Moon" live - note-for-note, sound-for-sound, plus a full set of Pink Floyd's greatest hits!”

83445719_6143980240576_4428592357167857664_n.png.jpg

I saw the Glenn Miller Orchestra yesterday, and it was really fun to watch, ngl. 

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I saw the Glenn Miller Orchestra yesterday, and it was really fun to watch, ngl

So you must have been in the mood then.  :duck:

• Like 1

March 27 should have been the Lightening Seeds and tomorrow night was to have been Simple Minds

I was due to see Queen and Adam Lambert in June for my birthday, but now they have pushed their European tour back a year.

5 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

I was due to see Queen and Adam Lambert in June for my birthday, but now they have pushed their European tour back a year.

There have been some benefits from this lockdown then.

• Haha 2