Brinsworth House Baiter

Been To Any Good Gigs Lately?

I highly recommend Marc Martel's youtube channel, he is the guy who should be in Queen instead of Lambert, since he sounds almost identical (and even looks similar) to Freddie. He did an amazing version of boRap in one take on piano, that Queen themselves have never even attempted. He provided a lot of the vocals in the recent movie.

7 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

I was due to see Queen and Adam Lambert in June for my birthday, but now they have pushed their European tour back a year.

Don't you mean 2 blokes from queen and a 'talent show' winner? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

I highly recommend Marc Martel's youtube channel, he is the guy who should be in Queen instead of Lambert, since he sounds almost identical (and even looks similar) to Freddie. He did an amazing version of boRap in one take on piano, that Queen themselves have never even attempted. He provided a lot of the vocals in the recent movie.

I think that Adam Lambert being his own person actually plays to what Brian May and Roger Taylor want to do with the Queen legacy. He is not a Freddie replacement but they are keeping the songs alive. I also think that is why they were so supportive of the We Will Rock You musical and the recent film. I know the film frustrated a lot of people but that was the story that they wanted to tell. It was never going to be a hatchet job.

Each decision they make is to maximise their income, nothing more. Case in point: "We will rock you". 2nd example: making a mainstream PG movie instead of a more accurate adult one. 3rd example: Turning Queen into some kind of travelling circus headed by a talent show runner up, instead of using the "new Freddie" which would be an emotional experience for real fans.

John Deacon did the honorable thing by disowning the whole thing in the 90s.

One thing I do like however is Brian May's lockdown series where he shows how he plays some guitar solos or does some cover versions in his bedroom. Not much money in it, but very interesting to watch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Don't you mean 2 blokes from queen and a 'talent show' winner? 

Going to see Queen with Adam Lambert is like going to see the Royal Family and finding that Su Pollard has taken over Liz’s gig. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Going to see Queen with Adam Lambert is like going to see the Royal Family and finding that Su Pollard has taken over Liz’s gig. 

I don't suppose you have been to any good gigs Lardy?

I mean, I don't suppose you have been to see Foo Fighters or owt and took an awesome pic of Mr Grohl, or anything?:D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I don't suppose you have been to any good gigs Lardy?

I mean, I don't suppose you have been to see Foo Fighters or owt and took an awesome pic of Mr Grohl, or anything?:D

I wish I had, my Lord, I wish I had.  The last gig I went to was Supergrass in February. Was supposed to see Harry Styles last week but obvs that was cancelled and supposed to see Guns N Roses next month at your hallowed turf Tottingham United but that has gone to fuck too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

I wish I had, my Lord, I wish I had.  The last gig I went to was Supergrass in February. Was supposed to see Harry Styles last week but obvs that was cancelled and supposed to see Guns N Roses next month at your hallowed turf Tottingham United but that has gone to fuck too.

Well you will have to just remain dry in the knicker dept until you do get to see him, eh!

9 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Well you will have to just remain dry in the knicker dept until you do get to see him, eh!

Impossible! I be dripping like a fucked fridge mate!

• Haha 1

Nice.  I've just booked to see Duran Duran, Nile Rodgers and most importantly, the goddess that is Grace Jones, in July.  

Hyde Park, not the best venue, but we need something to look forward to.

Ah, I’ve just re-read this entire thread, haven’t we all had fun!  Well, up until February this year.....

I’ve missed Harry Styles, David Baddiel, Chris Ramsey and Guns N Roses this year, all rescheduled to next year.  Harry is supposed to be in March but I really can’t see it happening.  Fucksake.

Set up a gig for Henry Cluney (founding member of Stiff Little Fingers). He played Mortimer's Bar in Minneapolis last night.

Had a great chat over dinner with him before the gig.

IMG_20210805_085721_115.jpg

This Wednesday I will be working for Wreckless Eric and next Thursday I shall be working for Josie Cotton.

Both are playing The Hook and Ladder in Minneapolis.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing Jonathan Pie in a couple of weeks.  Nothing musical lined up in the near future though.

• Like 1

Guess I forgot to post my post-Covid rescheduled King Crimson gig on August 28.  Great show.

Mr Fripp top right of course.

SC

4BBBAFB7-578A-4726-A180-AC4084BA26B5.jpeg

• Like 2

Wreckless Eric was in fine form last night. Did an hour and a half long set. And hung out backstage for a couple of hours after the gig had finished. 
Not bad for a 67 year old who had Covid last year and then suffered a heart attack. 

Eric-1.jpg

eric-2.jpg

• Like 2

Managed to get Eric to autograph a couple of things for me. 

2021-10-02_07_52_04.jpg

2021-10-02_07_53_15.jpg

Worked a gig for a band called Low Rats, special guest for their show was Dan Murphy (founding member and former guitarist for Soul Asylum).

Just thought I would add that Dan Murphy is really nice to chat with 

PXL_20211003_045737960.jpg

PXL_20211003_045752277.jpg

• Like 1

Not a music gig but I saw a production of East Is East at the National Theatre yesterday and I absolutely loved it. First live show of any kind in a couple of years. Good to be back.

• Like 1

Worked for The Supersuckers the other night. It was a decent tirn out considering some band called The Rolling Stones were playing just down the road.

Anyway, I did get to meet and chat a bit with Lori Barbero from Babes In Toyland. We didn't discuss Kat, so I don't have any news on her condition.

This isn't me chatting with Lori, it's Matthew (the sound guy).

2021-10-26_07.06.58.jpg

Hawkwind at the Palladium last Thursday. 80 year old Dave Brock handled half the vocals and half the guitar solos. Was genuinely weird to look down on them from the Royal Circle rather than standing and allowing their lightshow to overwhelm me. True to form they played stuff from their new (37th) album, threw in greatest hits in the middle and gave set space to randomly chosen album tracks seldom played on recent tours. 

250771646_10157846636070981_609629067643

• Like 5

Was working for The Mood Swings and Low Rats the 2 bands that were opening for Soul Asylum the other night. All bands were in fine form. Dave Pirner hasn't changed much

PXL_20211218_042158370.jpg

I went to see the Libertines a couple of weeks ago in Birmingham. A good night. I understand that they have cancelled the Cardiff gig due to the dreaded variant.

Saw NRBQ last night.

They played for 2 hours (90 minute regular set, 30 minute encore).

Original founding member, Terry Adams still going strong at 73. Behind him is John Perrin on drums.

PXL_20220410_011753034.jpg

• Like 1