Brinsworth House Baiter

Been To Any Good Gigs Lately?

Finally got to see The Schizophonics last week.

PXL_20220427_021831985.jpg

• Like 2

This past Wednesday, I had the privilege of working for Wesley Stace at The Hook & Ladder Theatre in Minneapolis. 

The venue is adjacent to the infamous 3rd precinct where the cops that murdered George Floyd last Summer were assigned.

PXL_20220428_013152005.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phantom said:

This past Wednesday, I had the privilege of working for Wesley Stace at The Hook & Ladder Theatre in Minneapolis. 

The venue is adjacent to the infamous 3rd precinct where the cops that murdered George Floyd last Summer were assigned.

PXL_20220428_013152005.jpg

I'm guessing that's an ex-firehouse.

• Like 1

Just now, time said:

I'm guessing that's an ex-firehouse.

Indeed it is.

• Like 1

Mudhoney about to take the stage.

B782ECA5-F8FD-4BB0-AB23-4868073E6254.jpeg

7C4F8F43-DA41-4B64-B3FF-3211EFA9DC93.jpeg

173654FA-92BB-4684-8B23-9988C3CAB637.jpeg

3E2BCEE9-0DF0-4E24-86F8-3EDF7315CCCF.jpeg

0BC8944D-DE37-48E6-ACF4-C3862EE1AB30.jpeg

BA9028ED-8E54-42EE-859D-0B4D98382E68.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8 May 2022 at 13:39, Paul Bearer said:

Going to see Jeff Dunham on Saturday.   Looking forward to a  good laugh. 

Went last night.  Really funny and had a new 'character' called URL.  If any of you are parents to a kid with a mobile phone superglued to their hands and face in the screen, you'll get this.  

All the regulars were there, Walter, Achmed, Bubba J etc.  He was on stage for about 2 hours.  

If you get the chance to see him, I'd recommend going.

• Like 2

Nekromantix

PXL_20220604_043335400.jpg

• Like 1

Unless I'm missing something, despite Diversity's claim that it's all about the four corners of the UK, this Platinum Jubilee concert doesn't have any Scots or Northern Irish representation, might be some Welsh hidden somewhere.

A celebration of Englishness wrapped up in a Union Flag, with a few world guest stars? 

Ocht well.At lest the Queen can flip over to 50 First Dates...

• Like 1

Contrary to popular belief, I did leave the house a few times recently.

CHVRCHES, SWG3 - Only £18 so I got Clorox Sr a ticket as well. Unfortunately we showed up too late and were at the back, where the crowd were pretty middle-aged and boring. The support act got covid but Lauren Mayberry & co still put on a good show.

Nine Inch Nails, O2 Academy Glasgow - This was sort of a happy coincidence. I got into NIN a few months ago and a tour got announced at the height of my fandom. Getting the first ticket available was a mistake. It was alone and seated, but it was better than missing them. Yves Tumor, the support act, is meant to be good, but you couldn't really see or hear them from all the smoke and distortion. The NIN setlist was flawless, though. They played some songs that hadn't seen the light of day. Felt like something special happening.

PXL_20220615_215753134_MP.thumb.jpg.d5c8c17e9211d170e30656b0b83ba375.jpg

Hella Mega Tour, Bellahouston Park - Green Day's gig was cancelled in 2017. And 2020. And 2021. I got hollowed out by a stomach bug only 4 days ago but the universe couldn't stop me! All of the 4 bands were great, played tight sets, waved Saltires/did shite accents. Amyl and the Sniffers were new to me, but the frontwoman reminded me of CHVRCHES' Lauren Mayberry if she were an Aussie punk rocker. I bought an overpriced hoodie for Weezer. I had friends at the front row but I got stranded 10 metres behind them. Fall Out Boy caused some moshpits that I was right at the edge of. I bailed from the front cause I felt I was going to die. Green Day songs are a bit samey to me, but it was cool seeing 35,000 other people sing their hearts out.

PXL_20220629_213001514_MP.thumb.jpg.2dcc92c7ca2813816109b75cdce129c5.jpg

My first three proper gigs (Take That doesn't count)! Could have been much worse.

• Like 2

I'm off to see the Rolling Stones on Sunday.  Hyde Park is a shit venue, but I've been up close to the Stones before so will be quite content wandering around at the back.

Update:  They were fantastic. Not quite the same without Charlie of course. 

I watched it on the screens but everyone around me was into it and the atmosphere was great. They played six songs that I hadn't heard live before, so quite a shake-up from the the last times I've seen them.  Very enjoyable.

• Like 1

Was able to book The Phantom Surfers for our annual Big Kahuna Bash, and ran their merch table.

They were joined on drums for their last song by Deke Dickerson. Russell Quan who was playing harmonica in this photo, was also in garage punk band The Mummies. 

PXL_20220731_021011074.jpg

• Like 2

Some Midwest rock 'n' roll royalty on stage there with Deke Dickerson.

Cadillac Sally West (drummer for The Fendermen for over 2 decades), Tony Andreason (lead guitarist and vocals for The Trashmen), Dave Maetzgold (bass player for The Castaways, and also Gregory Dee and The Avanties).

PXL_20220730_231238860.jpg

• Like 1

Worked for Deke Dickerson, and also The Jayhawks this past weekend. Tomorrow night I get to work for Lee Rocker. 

• Like 1

Lee Rocker of The Stray Cats at The Hook & Ladder Theatre last night 

PXL_20220910_011227175.jpg

• Like 2

Saw Blancmange last night.  Well, it's just Neil Arthur now with a mate on keyboards.  But he was in good voice.

Very enjoyable gig, played quite a few newer songs not just the early stuff. 

My friend who was only there to hear "Living On The Ceiling" found a lot more that pleased him.

• Like 2

Kiss,Iron Maiden e Guns'Roses

At Iron Maiden the Swedish band Avatar opened the show, all the shows were excellent

Saw 10cc live last night.

Actually more accurately 2.5cc, as only Graham Gouldman remains of the original foursome, Godley & Creme having left in the late 70s and Eric Stewart in the 1990s.

Two of the other guys on stage had been in the touring band in the 70s and had played on various albums thereafter. They had an excellent lead vocalist who, while not doing an impression of the originals, sounded quite like Lol Creme on all the latter's solos and not too far away from Eric Stewart in his baritone range. Gouldman sounded just like himself 40+ years ago on Dreadlock Holiday (and looked very well generally, not going to be of interest to us for many years).

Did all the hits and my favourite album tracks (Old Wild Men, Somewhere in Hollywood, all 3 parts of Feel the Benefit), so I was delighted. Thoroughly recommended.

I know bands still touring decades after their hey day with one or even none of the classic line up can divide opinion. Both Stewart and Creme are on record as saying they wished Gouldman wouldn't call the band 10cc, although Godley is supportive and still makes occasional cameo appearances with them (sadly not last night). As long as the publicity posters clearly show who is playing (which they did) then I think it's fine. It's a great back catalogue and they did it justice.

• Like 2

Efforts to see one band....

Got into Tedeshi Trucks by YouTube in 2017, saw they were touring EU that year but no U.K. shows so got flight and tickets for Amsterdam. Got ill and couldn’t go. 

2019. Got tickets for the London Palladium and work got In the way so sold them on. 

2022 Bought tickets at the London palladium for this coming Saturday. Daughter announces last week that she is going to do her ‘baby reveal’ (wtf!) on Saturday and wants me to light the reveal firework. Didn’t fucking check if I was available or anything. Grrrrr. 

Phone up the venue and get the tickets swapped to this Friday night. Today I tested positive for Covid and feel like total shit.  I guess this just ain’t gonna ever happen 

• Sad 2

On 28/10/2022 at 14:27, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Saw 10cc live last night.

Actually more accurately 2.5cc, as only Graham Gouldman remains of the original foursome, Godley & Creme having left in the late 70s and Eric Stewart in the 1990s.

Two of the other guys on stage had been in the touring band in the 70s and had played on various albums thereafter. They had an excellent lead vocalist who, while not doing an impression of the originals, sounded quite like Lol Creme on all the latter's solos and not too far away from Eric Stewart in his baritone range. Gouldman sounded just like himself 40+ years ago on Dreadlock Holiday (and looked very well generally, not going to be of interest to us for many years).

Did all the hits and my favourite album tracks (Old Wild Men, Somewhere in Hollywood, all 3 parts of Feel the Benefit), so I was delighted. Thoroughly recommended.

I know bands still touring decades after their hey day with one or even none of the classic line up can divide opinion. Both Stewart and Creme are on record as saying they wished Gouldman wouldn't call the band 10cc, although Godley is supportive and still makes occasional cameo appearances with them (sadly not last night). As long as the publicity posters clearly show who is playing (which they did) then I think it's fine. It's a great back catalogue and they did it justice.

Well, when you get older...

• Like 1

List of gigs I made it to this year. Pretty eclectic bunch. 

MAR12 o2 Shepard’s bush. Blue october

MAR15.Royal Albert hall. OMD

March24 Sub 89- Altered images

April5. Forum. Fratellis.

May15 Oxford. Robert cray

May27 Beck theatre. Planet earth.

June3 Emirates stadium- Killers, Sam Fender

June29 Hammersmith Apollo. St vincent

July16 Ally pally. Primal scream, Kelly Lee Owens, LoneLady, Walt Disco

July29 The spice of life, London. Vomit baby

Aug26Victorious festival. Stereophonics, Bombay bicycle club, Primal scream, Self esteem, James. 

19 sept 100club. Roy Ayers Postponed

SEP26 St Johns Church Kingston. Lissie 

OCT15 o2 oxford. Samantha Fish

OCT26 o2 Shepard’s bush. Samantha Fish

• Like 2

Had the esteemed honour of working for John Waters.

Managed to see some of his show 

Wasn't able to meet him as he was trying to avoid anyone as much as possible due to Covid concerns..

However, he very kindly gifted me with a personalized autographed copy of his latest book

2022-10-29_17_42_30.jpg

2022-11-01_17_41_46.jpg

PXL_20221030_011933884.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pedro67 said:

MAR15.Royal Albert hall. OMD

Just missed you :D I was there the night before.

2 hours ago, Pedro67 said:

March24 Sub 89- Altered images

Was in Sub89 last week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Was in Sub89 last week.

Good little venue and only 10 miles up the road from me. Might do The beat there in April

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pedro67 said:

Good little venue and only 10 miles up the road from me. Might do The beat there in April

Noted.  I meant to go last time they played there but couldn't make it in the end.

• Like 1