Brinsworth House Baiter

Been To Any Good Gigs Lately?

Worked for The Jayhawks and Golden Smog last night.

Only got a chance to take one photo during rhe soundcheck. Highlight of the evening was being presented with my stage pass.

PXL_20221217_231824638.jpg

PXL_20221217_235850247.jpg

• Like 2

Got to work the debut performance of Wandering Eye (Ween tribute band).it got really busy so the only photo I was able to take was during the soundcheck. I did however get Alan Sparhawk of Low to autograph a CD for me. 

PXL_20221216_224637952.jpg

PXL_20221216_234619276.jpg

PXL_20221217_000639685.jpg

Not recent, but the nearest I ever got to Terry Hall.  :wub:

(subtle arrow pointing to me)

The Specials.JPG

• Like 4

Got tickets to see the Hollywood Vampires in July. Has anyone here seen them and what would I expect to see? 

I've only been to see one show this year as a spectator which was to see NRBQ back in April. But for bands and musicians I worked directly with were:
The 99ers, Annie and The Bang Bang, Beebe Gallini, Black Widows, The Claudettes, Henry Cluney, Nato Coles & The Blue Diamond Band, Deke Dickerson, The Dogmatics, Fret Rattles, Wayne Hancock, Hot Pastrami, Eilen Jewell, Eleganza, The Favorite Things, The Gated Community, Golden Smog, The Jayhawks, Becky Kapell, KInda Fonda Wanda, Davy Knowles, Jim Lauderdale, Cindy Lawson Band, Low Rats, Mad Mojo Jett, Molly Maher, The Mood Swings, Eddie Montgomery, The Phantom Surfers, Rank Strangers, The Right Here, Lee Rocker, Short Fuses, The SIlverteens, Wesley Stace, Supermodified, Surfer Joe, Surf Zombies, The Swongos, TIMISAROCKER, The Tinglers, The Toxenes, Velahsa, Vibro Champs, John Waters, Dale Watson, Whiskey Rock & Roll Club  

Most were local bands. I did however get to work indirectly with The Nekromantix, Schizophonics, Jake La Botz, Dead Boys, The Briefs, Suzi Moon, Chixdiggit, and The Dollyrots. 

• Like 1

I've been asked to work the 40th anniversary show for Boiled In Lead at the end of March. 

• Like 1

It seems that Deep Purple, Scorpions and Saxon will come to my city this year, I intend to go to all of them, can someone tell me something about Saxon?

I didn't know, but I researched and liked the songs, is this band well evaluated there?
And Deep Purple and Scorpions, are they also appreciated there? I know they are old bands, but the songs are very good

This coming Friday, I will be working for The Scarlet Goodbye (featuring Dan Murphy formerly of Soul Asylum) for their debut album release show. 

5 hours ago, diego said:

It seems that Deep Purple, Scorpions and Saxon will come to my city this year, I intend to go to all of them, can someone tell me something about Saxon?

I didn't know, but I researched and liked the songs, is this band well evaluated there?
And Deep Purple and Scorpions, are they also appreciated there? I know they are old bands, but the songs are very good

Seen Saxon three times, basically proud to be old school - metal through and through. Can't say I'd give them ten minutes in the car. They work best with a decent sized crowd, a few beers already sunk and a willingness to punch the air and generally go along with what singer Biff Byford is urging the crowd to do. In other news, and relevant to what you'll see with Saxon, they are probably the biggest inspiration for the complete and utter classic that is This is Spinal Tap. 

Seriously, link here, loads of bands inspired bits of the movie but only Saxon enjoyed the company of a Spinal Tap actor on one of their tours: https://movieweb.com/spinal-tap-movie-true-inspiration-christopher-guest/

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Vi Saxon três vezes, basicamente orgulhoso de ser da velha escola - metal por completo. Não posso dizer que daria a eles dez minutos no carro. Eles funcionam melhor com uma multidão de tamanho decente, algumas cervejas já consumidas e uma vontade de socar o ar e geralmente concordam com o que o cantor Biff Byford está incitando a multidão a fazer. Em outras notícias, e relevantes para o que você verá com Saxon, eles são provavelmente a maior inspiração para o clássico completo e absoluto que é This is Spinal Tap

Sério, link aqui, várias bandas inspiraram trechos do filme, mas apenas Saxon gostou da companhia de um ator do Spinal Tap em uma de suas turnês:  https://movieweb.com/spinal-tap-movie-true-inspiration-christopher- convidado/

Thank you very much for the information, I believe that the show will be sensational based on your experience, I was very interested in the film, and I saw that it will get a sequel in 2024, I will look to watch the first one and I do not want to miss the sequel

9 hours ago, diego said:

Thank you very much for the information, I believe that the show will be sensational based on your experience, I was very interested in the film, and I saw that it will get a sequel in 2024, I will look to watch the first one and I do not want to miss the sequel

Yeah, The Sunday Times (which rates itself as Britain's top Sunday paper) just did a run down of the best music movies ever and put Spinal Tap at #1, amazing considering it was the only comedy that made the list of 30 movies

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Sim, o The Sunday Times (que se classifica como o principal jornal de domingo da Grã-Bretanha) acabou de fazer uma lista dos melhores filmes musicais de todos os tempos e colocou Spinal Tap em primeiro lugar, incrível, considerando que foi a única comédia que fez a lista dos 30 filmes

I also saw that it has an excellent score on imdb (7.9) and rotten tomatoes (95%)

The Scarlet Goodbye (featuring Dan Murphy formerly of Soul Asylum)

PXL_20230114_024440684.jpg

• Like 1

Dan Murphy signed my poster "With love" :lol:

2023-01-14_14_40_16.jpg

• Like 1

Well I am excited for next weekend. I shall be working for Bruce Cockburn. For some reason it's being billed as a 50th anniversary show even though he's been around a few years longer 

• Like 1

Saw Marisa and the moths at Purple turtle in Reading a couple of weeks back. Very good, will go far. 

Got this next month. Interesting line up for a pub gig by the seaside 

63B0CA6B-DA7C-4849-9216-CDD0D7E4119A.png

• Like 2

Worked the album release show for Run Westy Run

Their first new album in 28 years was released yesterday

PXL_20230304_035315070.jpg

2023-03-04_10.44.14.jpg

2023-03-04_10.43.22.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/01/2023 at 14:45, diego said:

Parece que Deep Purple, Scorpions e Saxon virão para a minha cidade este ano, eu pretendo ir a todos eles, alguém pode me dizer algo sobre o Saxon?

Eu não sabia, mas pesquisei e gostei das músicas, essa banda é bem avaliada lá?
E Deep Purple e Scorpions, eles também são apreciados lá? Eu sei que são bandas antigas, mas as músicas são muito boas

Unfortunately Saxon canceled his tour of South America and I will not have the opportunity to see their show, Paul Quinn, his guitarist announced retirement from the stage because he claimed stress and tiredness, and does not want his performance to be impaired and harm the shows, disappointing the band and their fans

Saxon cancela shows no Brasil e anuncia aposentadoria de Paul Quinn (whiplash.net)

Went to Showaddywaddy 50th anniversary concert last night.  (Only one original left in the band, the drummer Romeo Challenger).  Fantastic night, saw the originals about 45 years ago.  If that’s your thing, I’d highly recommend you go. They’ll be touring the country for the next year.  

• Like 2

On 10/03/2023 at 19:09, diego said:

Unfortunately Saxon canceled his tour of South America and I will not have the opportunity to see their show, Paul Quinn, his guitarist announced retirement from the stage because he claimed stress and tiredness, and does not want his performance to be impaired and harm the shows, disappointing the band and their fans

Saxon cancela shows no Brasil e anuncia aposentadoria de Paul Quinn (whiplash.net)

So, big loss by Saxon standards 

Quinn's been there since 1975, responsible for many of the riffs behind their solid if somewhat predictable catalogue and - also - if memory serves, the Saxon who turned up in a documentary discussing the inspiration for Spinal Tap and said that some American girls were so good at blow jobs it was as if they'd been taught the art from a very young age indeed. 

For all the claims and counter-claims about where Spinal Tap drew inspiration it's true that the only band they dropped in on whilst they were on the road were Saxon. 

PAUL_QUINN_01.jpg

• Like 1

The Scarlet Goodbye's debut album "Hope's Eternal"  was officially released on Friday. Last night was the album release show. I managed to sneak a few photos while working. 

2023-03-26_20_42_04.jpg

2023-03-26_20.30.23.jpg

• Like 2

I just arrived from the Scorpions show, there's no way not to cringe when it starts "Wind of Change"

This song is also wonderful

• Like 1

I was at a festival yesterday where some bands played, including Deep Purple, a wonderful show, I loved it

Another band that was there that I love was Helloween, wonderful band

• Like 1

On 26/04/2023 at 09:51, diego said:

I was at a festival yesterday where some bands played, including Deep Purple, a wonderful show, I loved it

Another band that was there that I love was Helloween, wonderful band

Saw them + Scorpions and Kiss today, fantastic show, Kiss was definitely the best part of it. Only bad thing is that my back is killing me after being standing for 9 hours.

• Like 1