Brinsworth House Baiter

Been To Any Good Gigs Lately?

6 hours ago, wannamaker said:

Vi eles + Escorpiões e Beijo hoje, show fantástico, Kiss foi definitivamente a melhor parte disso. A única coisa ruim é que minhas costas estão me matando depois de ficar de pé por 9 horas.

I saw Kiss last year too, and Scorpions 2 weeks ago, wow, all are fantastic, really has this part of the back hurt even, but it's worth it, they deliver a lot

• Like 1

• Haha 1

I was working the show for Run Westy Run and The Scarlet Goodbye at Palmer's Bar in Minneapolis. 

We had to move the show inside due to possible thunderstorms. 180 tickets sold, the inside bar only has a capacity of 96. Then when the gig was over, everyone in the bands left leaving me with their merch to drag to the next show. 

PXL_20230507_004819926.jpg

PXL_20230507_013747691.jpg

• Shocked 1

Kepi Ghoulie is currently on tour in the US.

I was working the show when he played Minneapolis this past Thursday. Kepi and his band members, Atom and B-,Face are lovely chaps. It was great having dinner with them before the show 

PXL_20230505_034821202.jpg

PXL_20230505_034833334.jpg

• Like 1

FGTH original lineup performed for the first time in 36 years.  You may need to Relax before running out to buy tickets, as no reunion tour has been announced beyond this one-off.

SC

The gig isn't for another month, but I've just been asked to work for Jimmy Webb.

Yes, that's THEE Jimmy Webb. The man behind such songs as "Up, Up and Away" (5th Dimension), "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" (Glem Campbell) and MacArthur Park (RIchard Harris) 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2

Technically not a good gig but I saw Michael Buble live last night. (GAB's idea not mine).

The audience was 90% middle aged women and 10% men along as taxi drivers or showing some support.

We saw him about 4 years ago (just before CoVid) and thought he was in better voice then, he's still got the high notes but less of the quality up top.

He started with the same two songs as last time in the same order and again (unusually) did probably the 3 biggest hits in the first half hour.

Previously I thought he'd come over as a reasonable bloke but last night the between-songs patter was a bit cloying, particularly the bits about how much he loves the UK and how he had spent most of CoVid dreaming about coming back to play Birmingham. Theres flattering your audiences and laying it on with a trowel.

He travels with a big band in both senses of the expression, most of them attractive young women who do dance movements with their arms when not playing.

As well as the usual dance band stuff he did a selection of Elvis songs, of which Trouble was not the pick and a few soul standards ('how sweet i t is to be loved by you' and 'You're the first my last my everything.')

He's a good performer but ultimately he's a very upmarket (£250 for two 'long way from the stage' seats) lounge singer who does mostly cover versions. I don't hate his stuff but not really a fan.

Anyway, GAB liked it so that was the main thing.

• Like 1

Dara Ó Briain this evening in Southend. Couple of honest stories from his life but oh my fuckity did we laugh

Saw Dinosaur Jr. with the Hold Steady last Saturday. First time seeing Dinosaur Jr., but I've seen the Hold Steady a half dozen times, including right before covid.

• Like 1

Picture this. 5 hours ago I was lying on my bed, scrolling on my phone, when I saw an advert for a free ticket to see Caroline Polachek. With a perfect stranger. In 90 minutes' time. In a moment of madness, I enthusiastically said "YES!" and headed for the next bus to SWG3. I'm not even a fan but I've been feeling spontaneous and uninhibited since I finished work. I bought the guy, a Californian tech bro, a drink, then he bought me one. I tried offering him more money but he refused.

PXL_20230525_202328570_MP.thumb.jpg.15c101b8519bff864ca3f991637eece5.jpg

As for the show? Amazing. Caroline used the word "scorny" (scary + horny) and that's a perfect descriptor. It's hard not to be drawn in by her. Helps that it was boiling in Glasgow today. My earplugs auto-ejected during So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings.

• Like 3

I jumped at the chance to work the gig for Subhumans tonight. It's been nearly 30 years since I last saw them. 

PXL_20230527_032457771.jpg

I saw Night Club along with about 250 other people last night.

Video attached for reference. 

123_1.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm working for Jimmy Webb tonight as he performs a selection of tunes he wrote or collaborated with Glen Campbell

2023-06-04_19_48_58.jpg

2023-06-04_19.51.21.jpg

2023-06-04_19.53.01.jpg

PXL_20230604_224053935.jpg

• Like 3

Last night I worked for The Scarlet Goodbye for a rooftop show at The Hewing Hotel in Minneapolis.

TSG did one set, then we were treated to a set by Mini Smog (a scaled down version of Golden Smog comprising of Dan Murphy, Kraig Johnson, Marc Perlman and Tim O'Reagan) with Dan Murphy switching to drums for a couple of songs. Then back to TSG to close out the evening. 

PXL_20230612_001242276.jpg

PXL_20230612_010844532.jpg

PXL_20230612_012019924.jpg

• Like 2

I was going to see Bruce Springsteen in Birmingham tonight but changed my mind and sold my ticket.  So far the setlists have not been to my taste, with very little variation. 

Sod's law may decree that this will be the show where he shakes it up and plays some of my favourites, but I've saved about £300 altogether, so am cool with it.

• Like 2

My friend unexpectedly had an extra ticket to the Cure on Sunday night.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lilham said:

My friend unexpectedly had an extra ticket to the Cure on Sunday night.

Lucky you. I had tickets to see them back in December, but a combination of rail strikes and wintry weather stopped us going.  Couldn't offload the tickets either :(

• Like 1

Death Grips at the Barrowlands. I hadn't heard a second of their music but knew they had a reputation. So I thought it'd be funny to have my Death Grips cherry popped in the most extreme way. Total sausagefest – shocking, right? Shirtless moron rammed into me full-force, but I stood my ground. Glad I went alone because my fragile, sub-6ft, weakling friends would've withered and died. If you enjoy being bullied then tickets are £30.

PXL_20230621_204620101.thumb.jpg.a1023048dd2cd2acf81887bf1c1aa0da.jpg

• Like 2

Since I'm working at the show and won't get close to the stage while they're playing, I did however get a photo of Reverend Horton Heat during their soundcheck at The Fine Line here in Minneapolis 

PXL_20230621_232904084.jpg

Last night I worked the show at the VFW in Uptown Minneapolis for The Delta Bombers and Supersuckers. 
Fantastic show as always. It was just my 2nd time seeing The Delta Bombers, I first saw them when they were touring with Reverend Horton Heat a couple of years ago. and it's probably my 5th time seeing Supersuckers.

Delta Bombers.jpg

Supersuckers.jpg

• Like 3

Just back in from the Hollywood Vampires gig. Alice Cooper was amazing.  In fact, they were all pretty damn good.  Support act was the Tubes.  Weren’t all that good, but I think their sound system let them down a bit.  

• Like 1

Thought I'd add a photo of Alice Cooper as a possible future candidate.  

FB_IMG_1689367689983.jpg

• Like 1

I worked for Los Straitjackets the other night.

They frequently tour with Nick Lowe these days. 

However they're currently on a mini tour with Jake La Botz and his trio as support. 

PXL_20230825_023449780.thumb.jpg.470c5250bee2a33a5073b974d62327e3.jpg

• Like 1

Joan Jett outdoor gig.  She’s rockin Runaways etc. Good time.

IMG_7205.jpeg

• Like 1

K.Flay at Canvas in Manchester. She's properly mental. A lot of people I've spoken to have found it cringy, but I've been charmed by her for almost 10 years. Got to speak to the support act Weathers at the end and they're a nice bunch of guys. Class show.

PXL_20231002_212258066.thumb.jpg.196866e55557650db08d9854e19bf14b.jpg

Manchester is a cool city, too. They didn't understand me after I blew my vocal cords out, but Mancunian is really easy to mimic, so that's how I survived. Worth the train journey and crappy cheap room.

And no, I didn't see any Tories.

• Like 3