Indian call centres. Specifically the Sky TV one.

I have changed my surname. Last night I phoned Sky to find out if they could change my details over the phone, or if I needed to put it in writing. After I explained why I had called, the service agent came back with a mouthful of complete gobbledegook, I genuinely did not understand one word he had said, so I asked him to repeat himself. After much toing and froing, I deduced that he thought I wanted to put my account into a different person's name. I explained that, no, there was no other person, it was still me and I just wanted to change my surname. He put me on hold for about 3 hours (it was probably only about 5 minutes but you get my gist), only to come back on the line and say, thank you Mrs Rachel (Rachel is my first name, not my surname), we have now closed your account. For fuck's sake. I explained, that , no, I didn't want my account closed, I just wanted to change my name (I hadn't even sworn by this time, you'll be impressed to hear). He said, that's fine, we will send you a letter within thirty days and your account will be closed. :D I terminated the call politely as I feared by this time I was about to stab myself in the eyes.

Now, I perfectly understand from a business point of view why these companies outsource their centres, it's obviously much cheaper. But what the fuck is the point of having customer service agents who don't even speak the same language as your customers?

Any ideas how I can get through to an English speaking person at Sky would be most welcome. Even one of the miserable Scottish bastards would do :(

I've had recent experience with an Indian call centre, though with AOL; they phoned me up trying to sell me their wonderful phone service (otherwise known as talk-talk) and asked me for my mothers maiden name to verify that I was who they thought I was - though as they phoned me, I would have thought they'd already have a pretty good idea who I was.

Feeling mischevious I asked the lady how I could be sure that she was from AOL. To confirm that she was, she quoted several things such as my home town but also including my e-mail address.

'OK' I said, 'send me an e-mail'. 'Can't do that' she said. 'Yes you can', I replied, 'you've got my address. Goodbye'.

I'm still waiting.

This is the 21st Century. Why can't my ISP send me an e-mail?

No language problems there, though I did have someone phone me at work today trying to sell "rye sin gyu kay". After 3 or 4 attempts I managed to establish that he was from 'Racing UK'. I suggested he write to me. (P.S. He sounded Australian.)

The Royal Mail and their post by letter size crap.

A first class stamp is ok for letters which are 240mm by 165mm.

Some of my Christmas cards are 235mm by 165mm.

Technically I can send my cards with a small 1st Class stamp, but whats the bets they claim that my cards are 1mm over the limit? Then they will charge the people to whom I am trying to spread goodwill for like the 14p they say I'm due in postage fees, plus a £1 handling fee. :D

It could be very embarrasing if people had to pay for my mistake.

Do you think a small 1st class stamp would be fine?

I have changed my surname. Last night I phoned Sky to find out if they could change my details over the phone, or if I needed to put it in writing. After I explained why I had called, the service agent came back with a mouthful of complete gobbledegook, I genuinely did not understand one word he had said, so I asked him to repeat himself. After much toing and froing, I deduced that he thought I wanted to put my account into a different person's name. I explained that, no, there was no other person, it was still me and I just wanted to change my surname. He put me on hold for about 3 hours (it was probably only about 5 minutes but you get my gist), only to come back on the line and say, thank you Mrs Rachel (Rachel is my first name, not my surname), we have now closed your account. For fuck's sake. I explained, that , no, I didn't want my account closed, I just wanted to change my name (I hadn't even sworn by this time, you'll be impressed to hear). He said, that's fine, we will send you a letter within thirty days and your account will be closed. :D I terminated the call politely as I feared by this time I was about to stab myself in the eyes.

Now, I perfectly understand from a business point of view why these companies outsource their centres, it's obviously much cheaper. But what the fuck is the point of having customer service agents who don't even speak the same language as your customers?

Any ideas how I can get through to an English speaking person at Sky would be most welcome. Even one of the miserable Scottish bastards would do :(

I was once told how to do this by a Sky engineer but I'm buggered if I can remember exactly what he said. If my insignificant other (also a miserable Scottish bastard!) is correct, your call will flick to the call centre after six rings so you have to hang up after five then redial. I have a vague recollection that you can tell the difference between Scotland and India by the ring tone.

The other option is go down the pub and ask the landlord what the number is for commercial sky customers - I always got someone in Scotland when I had a pub - then get them to transfer you.

Good Luck!

I was once told how to do this by a Sky engineer but I'm buggered if I can remember exactly what he said. If my insignificant other (also a miserable Scottish bastard!) is correct, your call will flick to the call centre after six rings so you have to hang up after five then redial. I have a vague recollection that you can tell the difference between Scotland and India by the ring tone.

The other option is go down the pub and ask the landlord what the number is for commercial sky customers - I always got someone in Scotland when I had a pub - then get them to transfer you.

Good Luck!

Just found this link :

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-and-...vicepage_id=172

It gives a list of alternative phone numbers and cheats to avoid call centres. I don't know if they work, but maybe worth a try!

The Royal Mail and their post by letter size crap.

A first class stamp is ok for letters which are 240mm by 165mm.

Some of my Christmas cards are 235mm by 165mm.

Technically I can send my cards with a small 1st Class stamp, but whats the bets they claim that my cards are 1mm over the limit? Then they will charge the people to whom I am trying to spread goodwill for like the 14p they say I'm due in postage fees, plus a £1 handling fee. :D

It could be very embarrasing if people had to pay for my mistake.

Do you think a small 1st class stamp would be fine?

Windsor, if you're worried about people perceiving you as a tight arse if the postage isn't right, then perhaps you shouldn't actually be one and pay the extra.

Risk = probability of the event occurring * impact if it does.

Being a highly educated University graduate, I'm sure you can do the maths.

My recommendation would be to spend 10 minutes doctoring up a photo and email them an online card. That way you're going to save some money, don't risk forking out loads of unnecessary money for cards and/or fines for incorrect postage, and can relax, safe in the knowledge that you've just helped lay off a shiftless and lazy postie over Xmas.

Good Luck!

Just found this link :

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-and-...vicepage_id=172

It gives a list of alternative phone numbers and cheats to avoid call centres. I don't know if they work, but maybe worth a try!

Thanks, I'll keep that for future reference. I ended up emailing them and they say they have sorted it out, I won't hold my breath until my next bill comes though!

Indian call centres.

Agreed!!! These fuckers are taking our jobs and getting paid one tenth of what we are getting. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. Especially with my bank and credit/debit card details. :D

Sleeping at the hospital when you aren't the patient and you can't get the drugs.

People who forget to bring their own drugs to a sleepover.

They don't forget, it's called free loading. The world is filled with exaggerators and freeloaders. I'm not sure what's more common.

Did Pat stay up late last night or did he go to sleep early because everyone but his son seemed to be at one with the universe. ..

The world is filled with exaggerators

Really?

They don't forget, it's called free loading. The world is filled with exaggerators and freeloaders.

Yes - they are terrible people...:D

Incidently, my cards were delivered without issue.

The world is filled with exaggerators

Really?

Yeah, dead ones. About six feet from the surface, Honez. (Suddenly pulls out a stunt gun and fires)

Got you this time

Did Pat stay up late last night or did he go to sleep early because everyone but his son seemed to be at one with the universe. ..

On certain occassions you come across as quite an articulate fella.

At other times, I really dont understand a word you say.

I may as well have one last complaint for 2009.

2009? Wasn't it shite!

I may as well have one last complaint for 2009.

2009? Wasn't it shite!

Could have been worse, there are degrees of shite. Please list your top five of why 2009 was shite and I'll tell you why it could have been worse:

Guest Miserable twat

Why 2009 was shite:

1. It rained a lot.

2. It rained a lot more.

3. I got fired about six times (lost count).

4. Didn't find new work.

5. Avatar - most over-rated film in the Universe.

Why 2009 was shite:

1. It rained a lot - it could've rained a lot more

2. It rained a lot more - did your house flood?

3. I got fired about six times (lost count) - how do you afford the internet then?

4. Didn't find new work - what you mean is, you didn't want a shite job

5. Avatar - most over-rated film in the Universe - at least its not a remake and I doubt James Cameron is planning a sequel!

Any more?

Yes, the BBC's bloody atrocious remake of "The Day of the Triffids". :mellow:

Personally I didn't think it was too bad. In amongst the incredibly stressful times of trying to secure ownership of my house and a bunch of redundancies at work, I had a pretty good year. And for the first time in ages, I am not worrying about anything. Which makes me a bit worried.......

Personally I didn't think it was too bad. In amongst the incredibly stressful times of trying to secure ownership of my house and a bunch of redundancies at work, I had a pretty good year. And for the first time in ages, I am not worrying about anything. Which makes me a bit worried.......

Did Sky get sorted properly or did they still manage to cut you off? After the crud they've shown in the past two weeks, I'm beginning to wish I'd cancelled mine.

Did Sky get sorted properly or did they still manage to cut you off? After the crud they've shown in the past two weeks, I'm beginning to wish I'd cancelled mine.

I haven't been cut off just yet, but they still haven't changed my name on all the guff they send me. I can't really be arsed to bother now. I didn't watch that much telly over the holiday period, it's all the same crap every year. Not like in the olden days when there was only three channels, there was always something good on then.

I haven't been cut off just yet, but they still haven't changed my name on all the guff they send me. I can't really be arsed to bother now. I didn't watch that much telly over the holiday period, it's all the same crap every year. Not like in the olden days when there was only three channels, there was always something good on then.

We thought exactly the same thing. Our saving grace we being able to watch really ancient films because the kids had never seen them. I must admit it was a trifle strange watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Neverending Story with two 19 year old Uni students!

We thought exactly the same thing. Our saving grace we being able to watch really ancient films because the kids had never seen them. I must admit it was a trifle strange watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Neverending Story with two 19 year old Uni students!

I concur whole-heartedly. I can only get 4 channels, (no channel 5 in my area) and finished up watching old 2 Pints of Lager on BBC iplayer. Oh, and I finally got round to watching Edge of Darkness.

I concur whole-heartedly. I can only get 4 channels, (no channel 5 in my area) and finished up watching old 2 Pints of Lager on BBC iplayer. Oh, and I finally got round to watching Edge of Darkness.

OMFSM - if we didn't have DirectTV in this house the freaking world would come to an end.

The lamp went out in my big screen TV the other day and I thought my mother was going to kill someone. Personally, I enjoyed the three days without the damn thing on, but then the repair guy showed up and ruined my life.

Mom was happy, though....