I would like to put Canada geese in Room 101. Glasgow has a lot of them now and they are a very aggressive pest. I took my seven - year - old cousin to the park last week and a goose attacked him when he was feeding it. I shot my air rifle in the air to scare it away - but I hit the bird. The goose was unharmed - but I got fined for the bird I shot. Where's the justice in that?

Dunno. Was the goose armed and dangerous?

regards,

Hein

If you're going to be REALLY fucking stupid enough to discharge an air rifle in a public park, then you deserve to be fucking JAILED, not fined. PRICK!!!!!

There was only me and my cousin in the park when I shot the bird.

Why did you have a gun with you while visiting the park with a seven year old? Would you call yourself a positive role-model? And how did you manage to hit a goose on the ground while shooting "in the air"? Are you extremely uncoordinated? Your statements certainly are.

And who fined you if there were only the two of you there? Did, as if by magic, a park keeper appear?

I put it to you that you are a shite-talking utter dickhead.

I put it to you that you are a lippy German thug who wants a good smack. The goose was flying when I fired my gun. I often go in the park - but I don't usually take my gun. Canada geese are very aggressive - and it is a known fact that gunshots scare them off. I got fined when I went to the police station. I wasn't arrested - I went of my own accord.

Well it's a few years since I lived in Glasgow, but I can imagine it might be some people in certain parts of the South Side's idea of a nice afternoon out to take the kids down to the park to shoot at geese.

If you were taking any care of the lad at all, you would have made sure he didn't go anywhere near any geese and definitely didn't try to feed them

And as far as I'm aware, an air rifle doesn't really make much noise. You'd have done better, if your intention really was to frighten them off, with a popgun or just clapping your hands and shouting "boo!"

I won't disagree with your calling me a lippy German thug though, because I like the idea of being thought of that way.

I'd be more impressed if you'd shot a cat up the arsehole.

He'd have to be able to shoot for that.

As I understand it, David aimed at the ground and managed to miss. I wouldn't trust him with a sling, let alone an air rifle.

regards,

Hein

Goose stuff.

I had to go to the police station anyway as I was going to get my licence for my air rifle renewed. While I was there, I told them I'd shot the bird to scare it away from my cousin. The goose was unharmed anyway. My cousin is seven and can't fire a gun. My auntie was actually the one who said I should scare the geese away - as her garden is plagued with them. The policeman said I won't have trouble getting my licence renewed - but I mustn't shoot geese again.

I wouldn't want to encourage dishonesty but was it a good idea to have mentioned the goose? Couldn't you just have filled in the form and walked away with the new licence? I can't see how the Old Bill would have twigged otherwise. Even in Glasgow the cops aren't savvy enough to spot a goose shooter when one walks through the door. How did the charge come about? Is there somewhere on the licence form that asks for the intended target? Perhaps you just put "goose" in the box and the Old Bill smelled a rat so to speak.

Godot, I believe in honesty at all times. I had to let them know I had shot the goose - but told them it was unharmed. I was already aware that my application for my air gun licence had been successful. I wasn't summoned to court - the policeman fined me 30 quid.

FYI

The Penalties for breaking current UK firearms laws with Airguns are as follows:-

Carrying a loaded Air-weapon in a public place 6 months imprisonment and / or £5,000 fine.

Trespassing with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.

Trespassing on private land with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.

Possessing or using an air weapon if sentenced to 3 months or more in custody 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.

In addition if original sentence up to 3 years 5 year ban on use of firearms.

Or if for 3 years or more Life ban on use of firearms.

Killing or injuring any bird or protected animal unless authorised £5,000 fine.

Firing an air weapon within 15m / 50ft of a public highway £1,000 fine.

Selling or hiring air weapon or ammunition to person under 18 6 months imprisonment and / or £5,000 fine.

Making a gift of air weapon or ammunition to person under 14 £1,000 fine.

Having air weapon or ammunition with intent to damage property 10 years imprisonment.

Having air weapon with intent to endanger life Life imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.

Using air weapon to resist or prevent arrest Life imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.

Threatening others with an air weapon (even if unloaded) to cause them to fear unlawful violence 10 years imprisonment and / or appropriate fine.

Not forgetting the chance of being shot and killed by the police should you not obey instructions when challenged by them, they cannot tell if you have just an airgun or a more lethal firearm so will treat all arms as lethal and respond accordingly.

I'd be more impressed if you'd shot a cat up the arsehole.

He'd have to be able to shoot for that.

As I understand it, David aimed at the ground and managed to miss. I wouldn't trust him with a sling, let alone an air rifle.

regards,

Hein

Its worse than that - he aimed at the air and missed!

I shot my air rifle in the air

Anyway, I'd like to know how David knows the goose wasn't injured, given that it was flying when it was shot and presumably didn't bother giving a medical report.

Those Canada geese are tough old birds, not easy to bring down. I shot one myself a while back, then ate it - very nice. I still don't understand why David should volunteer to police the information that he shot a goose. And would the police really impose an on the spot fine? Incidentally, watched this tonight, excellent documentary about a bloke who became mother to a family of turkeys. One of those turkeys became quite aggressive. Perhaps the goose mistook David's cousin for a rival goose.

Guest David
Those Canada geese are tough old birds, not easy to bring down. I shot one myself a while back, then ate it - very nice. I still don't understand why David should volunteer to police the information that he shot a goose. And would the police really impose an on the spot fine? Incidentally, watched this tonight, excellent documentary about a bloke who became mother to a family of turkeys. One of those turkeys became quite aggressive. Perhaps the goose mistook David's cousin for a rival goose.

Hi, Paul Bearer, in answer to your question, you need a licence for any type of gun you own. Godot, I only told the police I shot the goose because I felt it was my duty. The Glasgow police do impose fines on the spot - but they let me keep my gun licence. Hein, I didn't miss when I fired the gun. I hit the goose - but as I didn't see a mark where I'd shot it and it was flying, I naturally think it was unharmed. I've never eaten goose before - I don't know what they taste like.

Hi, Paul Bearer, in answer to your question, you need a licence for any type of gun you own. Godot, I only told the police I shot the goose because I felt it was my duty. The Glasgow police do impose fines on the spot - but they let me keep my gun licence. Hein, I didn't miss when I fired the gun. I hit the goose - but as I didn't see a mark where I'd shot it and it was flying, I naturally think it was unharmed. I've never eaten goose before - I don't know what they taste like.

Well David it seems the moral of this story was spelled out in the first few posts. It's not a good idea to take an air gun in to a public park or anywhere public for that matter, not a good idea to point it anywhere you're not intending to shoot at, and not a good idea to be accompanied by a seven-year-old when you have a gun with you. Unlike most game birds, Canada Geese can be shot throughout the year, but there would be a potential case of inflicting cruelty against anyone shooting one with an air gun since that is very unlikely to kill the bird. The same may be said, incidentally, for shooting a cat up the arsehole so I would be wary about trying to impress Lardy. Saying "I only meant to scare it," would not be a defence. All things considered a £30 on-the-spot fine was a let off, particularly since they let you keep your licence. On the evidence you have presented thus far I think NAP and PB were correct in their initial conclusions and that it is you, David, who must be consigned to Room 101, not the Canada geese which were only doing what Canada geese were put on this Earth to do - to breed, eat and shit wherever they like, and particularly within the environs of Scotland's second city.

Guest David

Well David it seems the moral of this story was spelled out in the first few posts. It's not a good idea to take an air gun in to a public park or anywhere public for that matter, not a good idea to point it anywhere you're not intending to shoot at, and not a good idea to be accompanied by a seven-year-old when you have a gun with you. Unlike most game birds, Canada Geese can be shot throughout the year, but there would be a potential case of inflicting cruelty against anyone shooting one with an air gun since that is very unlikely to kill the bird. The same may be said, incidentally, for shooting a cat up the arsehole so I would be wary about trying to impress Lardy. Saying "I only meant to scare it," would not be a defence. All things considered a £30 on-the-spot fine was a let off, particularly since they let you keep your licence. On the evidence you have presented thus far I think NAP and PB were correct in their initial conclusions and that it is you, David, who must be consigned to Room 101, not the Canada geese which were only doing what Canada geese were put on this Earth to do - to breed, eat and shit wherever they like, and particularly within the environs of Scotland's second city.

Godot,I promise you I won't take my gun out to the park any more. I was indeed fortunate to be let off with a £30 fine. I know Canada geese are allowed to breed and gather wherever they like - but they do leave a terrible mess with their droppings. I would never think of shooting cats.

Incidentally, watched this tonight, excellent documentary about a bloke who became mother to a family of turkeys. One of those turkeys became quite aggressive. Perhaps the goose mistook David's cousin for a rival goose.

Unfortunately, I can't view that video:

turkeycu.jpg

Anyway, you may well be on to something. I'd like to put Wikipedia's article about the ethological principle of imprinting to your attention. Important bits of that theory were developed by German Austrian biologist and founder of ethology as we know it Konrad_Lorenz as a result of his experiments with Greylag geese:

122044-004-579DCB3A.jpg

I appreciate that Canada geese are different birds, but their way of life seems pretty similar to that of Greylag geese. As an aside: Canada geese do quite well in the Netherlands. Apparently they rather like cities.

Back to topic: if a goose grows up around people, there's a good chance it'll 'see' people as large, clumsy geese that don't fly.

There's also the fact that geese are simply very aggressive birds, well known as guard animals.

regards,

Hein

You missed a treat Hein. I like Lorenz, particularly liked King Solomon's Ring (don't go there Lardy :banghead: ).

I hope the chap in the picture with the geese is not taking them for a walk in a Glasgow park. If so he's asking for trouble. He doesn't know who might be hidden in the bushes.

. While David's auntie
, David himself is back in the park showing us how to cook your goose. Don't you just dig that Glaswegian accent. However, David prefers to

You missed a treat Hein. I like Lorenz, particularly liked King Solomon's Ring (don't go there Lardy :D ).

I hope the chap in the picture with the geese is not taking them for a walk in a Glasgow park. If so he's asking for trouble. He doesn't know who might be hidden in the bushes.

:D:lol:

Guest David
I would like to put Canada geese in Room 101. Glasgow has a lot of them now and they are a very aggressive pest. I took my seven - year - old cousin to the park last week and a goose attacked him when he was feeding it. I shot my air rifle in the air to scare it away - but I hit the bird. The goose was unharmed - but I got fined for the bird I shot. Where's the justice in that?

Dunno. Was the goose armed and dangerous?

regards,

Hein

If you're going to be REALLY fucking stupid enough to discharge an air rifle in a public park, then you deserve to be fucking JAILED, not fined. PRICK!!!!!

There was only me and my cousin in the park when I shot the bird.

Why did you have a gun with you while visiting the park with a seven year old? Would you call yourself a positive role-model? And how did you manage to hit a goose on the ground while shooting "in the air"? Are you extremely uncoordinated? Your statements certainly are.

And who fined you if there were only the two of you there? Did, as if by magic, a park keeper appear?

I put it to you that you are a shite-talking utter dickhead.

I put it to you that you are a lippy German thug who wants a good smack. The goose was flying when I fired my gun. I often go in the park - but I don't usually take my gun. Canada geese are very aggressive - and it is a known fact that gunshots scare them off. I got fined when I went to the police station. I wasn't arrested - I went of my own accord.

Well it's a few years since I lived in Glasgow, but I can imagine it might be some people in certain parts of the South Side's idea of a nice afternoon out to take the kids down to the park to shoot at geese.

If you were taking any care of the lad at all, you would have made sure he didn't go anywhere near any geese and definitely didn't try to feed them

And as far as I'm aware, an air rifle doesn't really make much noise. You'd have done better, if your intention really was to frighten them off, with a popgun or just clapping your hands and shouting "boo!"

I won't disagree with your calling me a lippy German thug though, because I like the idea of being thought of that way.

I do apologise for saying that, Hein. I'm sure you are a very nice and friendly person. Which part of Germany do you live in? I live in a district of Glasgow called Govan. That was a district heavily populated with shipyard workers. I didn't take my cousin out to the park with the intention of shooting the goose - we were feeding them and one turned aggressive. I didn't know you could scare them away by clapping your hands and shouting "Boo!" I should've stopped my cousin going anywhere near the geese - but he ran straight towards them. We also have ducks in the park - but they don't cause any bother to anybody. If you come back to Glasgow, do be careful in the parks - as there are a lot of goose droppings around. I had to stop my cousin sitting on the grass next to the lake so he wouldn't get sick from the goose poop.

I do apologise for saying that, Hein. I'm sure you are a very nice and friendly person. Which part of Germany do you live in?

It seems you're barking up the wrong tree. I don't live in Germany. I live in the Netherlands, a few hundred kilometers north and west from the Original Poster, Notapotato.

If you were to call me a lippy Dutch thug I wouldn't mind much, as being lippy is an integral part of being Dutch.

regards,

Hein

I do apologise for saying that, Hein. I'm sure you are a very nice and friendly person. Which part of Germany do you live in?

It seems you're barking up the wrong tree. I don't live in Germany. I live in the Netherlands, a few hundred kilometers north and west from the Original Poster, Notapotato.

If you were to call me a lippy Dutch thug I wouldn't mind much, as being lippy is an integral part of being Dutch.

regards,

Hein

Oh dear Hein, you are behind the times!

I now live about 400Km to the east of you, and very slightly north.

Although I will admit my current location is way, way south of there, thank goodness.

Guest David

regards,

Hein

Oh dear Hein, you are behind the times!

I now live about 400Km to the east of you, and very slightly north.

Although I will admit my current location is way, way south of there, thank goodness.

I haven't been to Holland before - but I've heard that it's a delightful place. If you live in Holland, you will no doubt have heard of the 70s rock group Focus. They were very famous in the early 1970s andf had several hit records - Hocus Pocus, Sylvia, House of the King and Tommy. Thijs Van Leer, the founder of the group, is a charming man. And I'm sure you're not a thug of any sort - you're a very charming person - as most Dutch people are reputed to be.

I do apologise for saying that, Hein. I'm sure you are a very nice and friendly person. Which part of Germany do you live in? I live in a district of Glasgow called Govan. That was a district heavily populated with shipyard workers. I didn't take my cousin out to the park with the intention of shooting the goose - we were feeding them and one turned aggressive. I didn't know you could scare them away by clapping your hands and shouting "Boo!" I should've stopped my cousin going anywhere near the geese - but he ran straight towards them. We also have ducks in the park - but they don't cause any bother to anybody. If you come back to Glasgow, do be careful in the parks - as there are a lot of goose droppings around. I had to stop my cousin sitting on the grass next to the lake so he wouldn't get sick from the goose poop.

A lake? In Govan????? You really are taking the piss...

Smart kids.

Don't you just want to punch them? :(

Smart kids.

Don't you just want to punch them? :(

In my experience, quite a few other children want to, and do.

A perfect uppercut, knocking down the lead bully, eventually sorted that out.

regards,

Hein

This is my Room 101.

The view from my new office window. Below ground level overlooking the rat infested Lady Beck, an open drain that runs through Leeds.

MyOffice.jpg

I love my new employers......

This is my Room 101.

The view from my new office window. Below ground level overlooking the rat infested Lady Beck, an open drain that runs through Leeds.

About that grid: is it intended to keep people out, or in?

regards,

Hein

This is my Room 101.

About that grid: is it intended to keep people out, or in?

regards,

Hein

Keep us in definitely, I can't think why any one would want to break in here. The radio is banned, the floor is wooden and the kitchen is next door so everyone makes a cacophony of footsteps when going to make coffee. Security is a new all consuming passion - no one is to be trusted with anything and large bollockings follow any one who leaves their PC unlocked even for a moment. There is no fun here any more since the Americans bought the company. I may work in IT but I am so effing bored. Sadly too old and under qualified to get another job with similar money so... Grin & Bear it :unsure:

'Travellers'.

I fail to see how a bunch of people who choose to live in caravans can call themselves a race...