I like Only Connect (but don't get the Portillo obsession!). House of Games has several buzzer rounds so the final round is one of the many rather than the different round at the end. imo you can work out how good a game show will be by how quickly someone can describe it. If you need several sentences, you know its going to be overcomplicated and likely rubbish ie Gordon Ramsay's Bank Balance, the worst new quiz/gameshow in at least a decade.

19 minutes ago, msc said:

you can work out how good a game show will be by how quickly someone can describe it. If you need several sentences, you know its going to be overcomplicated

A bit like dead pools really.  :evil2:

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, msc said:

I like Only Connect (but don't get the Portillo obsession!). House of Games has several buzzer rounds so the final round is one of the many rather than the different round at the end. imo you can work out how good a game show will be by how quickly someone can describe it. If you need several sentences, you know its going to be overcomplicated and likely rubbish ie Gordon Ramsay's Bank Balance, the worst new quiz/gameshow in at least a decade.

I don't get all the hate for this show; OK its pretty shit but no worse than The Wall, Catchpoint, Tipping Point, The Wheel, Tenable, Rolling In it etc. etc, and does have the advantage of not being presented by Danny Dyer, Paddy McGuinness, Ben Shepherd, Michael Macintyre, Warwick Davies or Stephen Mulhern.

I notice Bank Balance has already been added to UKGameshows' list of "Flops," where it sits alongside such beloved classics as Boys & GirlsThe Colour of Money* and Red or Black. And I still hold out hope that one day someone will upload an episode of Hale and Pace's seminal H&p@bbc to YouTube.

* A gameshow that aired for seven episodes before being cancelled, yet the quiz machine version of it was still going strong a good seven years after the show left the air.

11 minutes ago, time said:

I don't get all the hate for this show; OK its pretty shit but no worse than The Wall, Catchpoint, Tipping Point, The Wheel, Tenable, Rolling In it etc. etc, and does have the advantage of not being presented by Danny Dyer, Paddy McGuinness, Ben Shepherd, Michael Macintyre, Warwick Davies or Stephen Mulhern.

Danny Dyer is a surprisingly decent host. Bank Balance was overcomplicated, had a shit host and was impossible to win. And their cameras missed some of the "crucial" moments of the game. Worse, it was dull. The BBC were expecting 4-5 million viewers and got sub 2 million. 

15 minutes ago, msc said:

Danny Dyer is a surprisingly decent host. Bank Balance was overcomplicated, had a shit host and was impossible to win. And their cameras missed some of the "crucial" moments of the game. Worse, it was dull. The BBC were expecting 4-5 million viewers and got sub 2 million. 

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of Danny Dyer & I'm not sure its him or the programme makers, but how many 'jokes' about balls do you need to cram into each episode? Or am I thinking of Paddy McGuinness now? Or both? Or Jasper Carrott? Its all balls.

27 minutes ago, time said:

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of Danny Dyer & I'm not sure its him or the programme makers, but how many 'jokes' about balls do you need to cram into each episode? Or am I thinking of Paddy McGuinness now? Or both? Or Jasper Carrott? Its all balls.

Talking of balls, that shite bowling-based quiz with Mark Benton from a couple of years didn't exactly score a strike. If quizzes can be guilty pleasures, I quite liked PorkerFierce*, devised and presented by Ant and Dec but quickly canned.

* aka PokerFace in non-Geordie English.

6 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Talking of balls, that shite bowling-based quiz with Mark Benton from a couple of years didn't exactly score a strike. If quizzes can be guilty pleasures, I quite liked PorkerFierce*, devised and presented by Ant and Dec but quickly canned.

* aka PokerFace in non-Geordie English.

Never heard of it tbh - looking at the transmission dates almost certainly clashed with work. H have had a look on youtube, it looks reasonable - shades of goldenballs (I think) with the contestants trying to bluff the others. 

I think the problem with the Mark Benton was that it was available to new customers only.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, time said:

I think the problem with the Mark Benton was that it was available to new customers only.

Haha, I liked that advert. I think I’d better post it by way of explanation.

• Like 1

Ebay. 

I sold a few things over the weekend, and because I haven't sold anything on there for ages, they're treating me like a new seller. 

I've never done much selling on there, but I have done some, all without any problems arising, and I am a regular buyer who always pays up straightaway and leaves feedback.  You'd think it would count for something, but no.

• Angry 1

There are too many bloody Memorials these days! 

Has anyone considered that some of the folk who died of Covid were paedophiles, rapists and murderers? You wouldn’t want to memorialise that now, would you? 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Has anyone considered that some of the folk who died of Covid were paedophiles, rapists and murderers? You wouldn’t want to memorialise that now, would you? 

I don't see the point of it.  Everyone dies of something.  Are people who died of Covid more important than those who have died of cancer or heart failure or strokes, etc?

Those who have lost loved ones to Covid can put up headstones or memorial plaques or whatever, just the same as anyone else who wants to commemorate someone.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Windsor said:

The Yorkshire Ripper for one.

10 hours ago, Windsor said:

You either memorialise everyone, or no-one. We may not agree that all those that are memorialised should be, but that's the risk you take once you go down the path of memorialising any group, rather than individuals.

Owing to sheer weight of numbers, statistically some of those that died in WWI & WWII were paedophiles, rapists and murderers. Should we now remove all war memorials because of that? Good luck getting that one through.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, time said:

You either memorialise everyone, or no-one. We may not agree that all those that are memorialised should be, but that's the risk you take once you go down the path of memorialising any group, rather than individuals.

Owing to sheer weight of numbers, statistically some of those that died in WWI & WWII were paedophiles, rapists and murderers. Should we now remove all war memorials because of that? Good luck getting that one through.

War memorials are different.  In a similar vein I wouldn't object to a memorial for health workers who have died of Covid because they likewise put themselves at risk in the service of others.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, time said:

They may have been paedophiles, but their sole contribution wasn't just getting ill an dying. 

• Like 1

“Happy Star Wars Day!”

Cunt off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Happy Star Wars Day!”

Thank you, same to you.

Take care and have fun, respected and dear colleague.

EWmpyiNX0AAFgOo.thumb.jpg.12f01bd9272def472a1830febb843491.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

“Happy Star Wars Day!”

Cunt off.

Fourth of May be with you.

• Thanks 1

On 01/05/2021 at 16:46, Windsor said:

They may have been paedophiles, but their sole contribution wasn't just getting ill an dying. 

Not all war memorials are for combatants, plus you seem to be implying that's its OK to memorialise paedophiles, rapist & murderers if somehow they've contributed to society in other ways, in which case, where is that line drawn? 

5 minutes ago, time said:

Fourth of May be with you.

I got this at work. Probably because he knew that I’d consider “May the fourth...” a sackable offence.

My contribution to the star wars day thing on faceache

The-Forth-Bridge-Forth-Road-Bridge-and-Queensferry-Crossing-1200x800.jpg

• Like 1

In fact, bollocks, while I’m here, all of Star Wars can go to Room 101. All of it. Every character, every film, every reference. Get to fuck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, time said:

Not all war memorials are for combatants, plus you seem to be implying that's its OK to memorialise paedophiles, rapist & murderers if somehow they've contributed to society in other ways, in which case, where is that line drawn? 

I stand by my original statement. They should've have a national memorial because they've done bugger all to deserve commemoration. 

Minor grumble. 

I don't seem to have a record of my NHS number anywhere, which has been inconvenient when trying to sign up for various online things.  Today I went for my second Covid jab, and the receptionist helpfully wrote it on the back of my vaccination card.  Got home and was about to add it to my list of aides-memoire, turned the card over and ..... no number.  Thought I was going demented for a minute, then realised what had happened.  While I was having the jab, the clerk person instead of writing the batch number of the second dose on my card wrote out an entirely new card. So no NHS number on the back.  Grrrrr.

• Shocked 1