5 minutes ago, Toast said:

Last for ever, though.  My upstairs, er, vacuum cleaner is a Miele that I inherited over 20 years ago, and I am pretty sure the previous owner bought it second-hand.

I bought a Miele about 5 or 6 years ago when my old electrolux packed in. That lasted almost 20 years, though that's probably more a reflection of how often I used it rather than its quality. The Miele will outlast me, I'm sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, time said:

Can't say I've ever used one. I ordered one of these for work a few years ago, purely because I like anagrams.

070877.jpg

We should club together and buy one for Creep. 

This thread has got very Mumsnet, except they're probably more into discussing rabbits than hoovers nowadays.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Last for ever, though.  My upstairs, er, vacuum cleaner is a Miele that I inherited over 20 years ago, and I am pretty sure the previous owner bought it second-hand.

Tight as arseholes, aren't you.:lol:

PS: I'm just teasing.:D

59 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Tight as arseholes, aren't you.:lol:

PS: I'm just teasing.:D

Surprised you didn't accuse me of being posh for having more than one vacuum cleaner :lol:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

Surprised you didn't accuse me of being posh for having more than one vacuum cleaner :lol:

Ah, well........:lol:

Just read this apparent work/career/profession/excuse for living title on the BBC website. Please kill it before it becomes national. "Interiors therapist".

When did Asda become so pikey?

People not wearing face masks and staff leaning over customers to 'help' them with the self-service checkouts. 

To top it off. NO WORD OF A LIE. On the way out there was an elderly woman with no mask making for the exit wearing her mask exemption card around her neck. Her purchase, I hear you ask? Three packets of 20 cigarettes. I say she was elderly, she may well have only been 45! 

Wouldn't get all that shit at Tesco...

3 hours ago, Windsor said:

When did Asda become so pikey?

People not wearing face masks and staff leaning over customers to 'help' them with the self-service checkouts. 

To top it off. NO WORD OF A LIE. On the way out there was an elderly woman with no mask making for the exit wearing her mask exemption card around her neck. Her purchase, I hear you ask? Three packets of 20 cigarettes. I say she was elderly, she may well have only been 45! 

Wouldn't get all that shit at Tesco...

Don't doubt it for a second. I see worse on an hourly basis, and I'm on the sales floor (not in Asda) for 48 hours!

Being desensitised is part of the problem. When you watch someone open a honey jar, finger and lick the contents and put it back on the shelf, what's the harm in leaning closer to the next customer? Or so a lot of staff think. It's also hard to enforce masks when the enforcer is probably a 5'2 lassie who grown men aren't afraid to shout abuse at when they aren't allowed to jump the queue.

Please shop online if you have the means, at best you'll put me out of a job :D

NHS Staff

Did they not check their salaries before signing contracts? Shower of moaning bastards the lot of them.

Being so busy this year think of the money they must've saved with not having the time to do other things! Even the extra time they spent in the hospitals will have saved them in electricity and gas...just so long as they didn't use the hospital parking.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Windsor said:

NHS Staff

Did they not check their salaries before signing contracts? Shower of moaning bastards the lot of them.

Being so busy this year think of the money they must've saved with not having the time to do other things! Even the extra time they spent in the hospitals will have saved them in electricity and gas...just so long as they didn't use the hospital parking.

If you look at sites like MSE and see all the perks and extras they get just for being NHS and not having to do anything for them.

There is also the thing about doing the job they get paid to do.

Trendy restaurants that price their wares as £2.9 instead of £2.90 like normal folk. Would it hurt to add the zero, like normal folk?

(for the purposes of this argument, I consider myself a normal folk)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, time said:

Trendy restaurants that price their wares as £2.9 instead of £2.90 like normal folk. Would it hurt to add the zero, like normal folk?

This annoys me too.

5 hours ago, time said:

I never go near anything trendy with a barge pole. So this has literally never affected me...

17 hours ago, Windsor said:

I never go near anything trendy with a barge pole. So this has literally never affected me...

As a rule, i don't but there's a new place open not so far away, and their ads keep getting shared on Farcebook; one was for this Lobster & Prawn Roll,

No photo description available.

so just out of curiosity I looked at the price

Spoiler

its £11.50 (or £11.5)

• Shocked 3

Companies (my dentist) that put you on hold as soon as you phone them and play a recorded message that seems to last hours but in reality is probably about 2 minutes then you get the on hold musac for another couple of minutes before you finally get 'we are unable to take your call right now, to continue to wait press 1 or to leave a message press 2.

What happened to the good old fashioned ringing phone if there is no-one there or the engaged signal if they are busy?

At least with them it does not rack up call time for no reason.

My 2 attempts to call my dentist today cost me £2.93 in credit for no result. :rant:

• Like 1

My upstairs neighbour has informed me that she has had to self-isolate at home (she has only just returned to work after being signed off with stress and anxiety for a month).

While the noisy fucker has certainly ‘isolated’ to one extent by not leaving the house, she hasn’t quite mastered the ‘self’ bit as by my counting she has had atleast three visitors (which would be against the law anyway).

Not that I mean to cast aspersions, but I’m beginning to think that my upstairs neighbour might be a lazy, shiftless, skiving bastard? :old:

27E3E130-6203-47AC-8A73-2A74560BE36A.jpeg

• Like 1

Plugs. The electrical kind. Remeber when there was only the one type (which, ninety-nine times out of a hundred you had to fit yourself and it looked like this

Wilko 3 Pin Plug With Fuse White 5amp | Wilko

and you could grip it properly to remove it from the socket? Now that manufacturers have to pre-fit plugs, why do some give us "stylish" instead of functional, e.g. these 

190425-apple-uk-plug.jpg or Apple 5W USB Power Adapter (Folding Pins) - Apple (UK)

which you can't get a good grip of? (The fact that these are both Apple plugs is entirely coincidental (sort of); they're one of the biggest offenders, but by no means the only one).

Zipped side pockets in gents trousers, why? just why? what is the point all of a sudden?

Any time I think that these are the trousers for me, I notice they have zipped side pockets.

33 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

Zipped side pockets in gents trousers, why? just why? what is the point all of a sudden?

Any time I think that these are the trousers for me, I notice they have zipped side pockets.

Makes it a bit harder for pickpockets to operate? 

42 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Makes it a bit harder for pickpockets to operate? 

it does mean that I would probably scratch the fragile skin on the backs of my hands every time i went into a pocket for a tissue or a dog biscuit :(

16 hours ago, torbrexbones said:

I would suggest the answer is expensive mobile phones

I know "introductory patter on game shows" is a cliched hate, but I honestly think a good vision of hell is Victoria Coren's "jokes" on Only Connect playing in perpetuity.

21 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I know "introductory patter on game shows" is a cliched hate, but I honestly think a good vision of hell is Victoria Coren's "jokes" on Only Connect playing in perpetuity.

Other annoying things: boring, smug contestants who also appear on every other quiz show and are always married to each other; ludicrously hard questions I have no chance of answering; embarrassing middle class singalong; undue colossal amount of points available in final round. 

And yet I watch it every week. 

1 minute ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Other annoying things: boring, smug contestants who also appear on every other quiz show and are always married to each other; ludicrously hard questions I have no chance of answering; embarrassing middle class singalong; undue colossal amount of points available in final round. 

And yet I watch it every week. 

That final round annoys me, not because its intrinsically 'bad' but because it just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the show. It'd be more at home on House of Games, I feel.

Final rounds with excessive amounts of points on offer are a curse on game shows at all ends of the spectrum. 90 Day Fiance: Love Games, a modern take on The Mr and Mrs Show, starts off with five points for knowing what your partner thinks is your most annoying habit, and ends with 20 points for knowing who the current American vice president is.