Godot

Jeremy Thorpe

My man in the West Country saw Jeremy Thorpe the other week and says he's a racing certainty for 2007 if he makes it through 2006. He has advanced MS, he says.

My man in the West Country saw Jeremy Thorpe the other week and says he's a racing certainty for 2007 if he makes it through 2006. He has advanced MS, he says.

Mmm... fascinating Godot. I've been pondering whether or not to include him for 2007. I know he has advanced MS, but to be honest, I don't know much about the disease. Any extra details?

Mmm... fascinating Godot. I've been pondering whether or not to include him for 2007. I know he has advanced MS, but to be honest, I don't know much about the disease. Any extra details?

I'm thinking my man could be mistaken after reading on Wikipedia that it is Parkinson's although Wicki has been known to be wrong. All I was told was that Thorpe was bent (which we already know) and frail.

Are you sure he's got MS? I thought it was advanced Parkinsons. Either way he's a very sick man from what I've heard.

Norman Scott, the man he tried to kill (allegedly) was up in court for drink driving a few months ago. He didn't look too special either, damned if I can find the link though. :angry:

I thought it was advanced Parkinsons.

Despite not trusting Wiki, I believe you're right. Shows you all about how much I know on MS and Parkinsons... :angry:

Anyhow, I shall post-whore to show my appreciation for the info Godot, as recent information has been scarce at best.

Wikipedia says:

Thorpe was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and retired from public life. For the past twenty years, his disease has been at an advanced stage

He's doing well to hang on this long, might not see his 80th birthday in 2009.

For you young 'uns the full Wiki might bring you up to speed.

Edited by Magere Hein

He really does deserve his own thread. Incredible story for those who are coming to it for the first time. Better in some ways than Profumo.

Wikipedia says:
Thorpe was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and retired from public life. For the past twenty years, his disease has been at an advanced stage

He's doing well to hang on this long, might not see his 80th birthday in 2009.

For you young 'uns the full Wiki might bring you up to speed.

MPFC - you beat me to it. I do think Thorpe is worthy of a thread of his own.

When Harold Wilson sacked half of his cabinet in the 60s, Thorpe was attributed with this famous quote:

"Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his friends for his life. "

I do think these words rather came back to haunt him when he was tried and aquitted (God knows how) of a murder plot fifteen years later.

I wonder if the ghost of Rinka the murdered Great Dane might play a part in the next few months. Local legend has it that she still walks those moors. (It's also a well known spot for gathering magic mushrooms, that might have something to do with it.)

• Like 1

The presiding judge at the Thorpe trial, Mr Justice Cantley, had never had a successful appeal against one of his judgements and wanted to keep it that way. This was one reason why he weighted his summing up in favour of Thorpe. Apparently he believed the jury would still find him guilty but that didn't happen. The summung up was saterised by Peter Cook at the Secret Policeman's Ball in a piece called Entirely a matter for you. :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083043/quotes

Entirely a matter for you is on an old vinyl album called 'Here Comes the Judge' as well as appearing on the 'Secret Policeman's' video, pretty dated now though the gist of it comes through pretty well.

20+ years with parkinson's...probably a good candidate for next year, although I look more for lung cancer, pancreatic cancer, multiple myeloma and brain tumors. 15 years after a diagnosis of Parkinson's is usually time to start a death watch.

MS is a lot more tricky to predict and most likely won't kill on its own (unless someone really has a progressive case). Speaking for experience on that one.

I think that maybe my contact was mistaken on the MS. But I still think Thorpe is a strong candidate for 2007 and might well not make it that far.

I look more for lung cancer, pancreatic cancer, multiple myeloma and brain tumors.

What, all at the same time MBH?

Please include me at your next dinner party, I'm fairly healthy but I don't want to miss that gathering.

Ah good, I was a bit surprised that he didn't have his own thread. I'm learning a lot too.

Right now, Thorpe is at a cautious #16 on my list of about 30, which of course makes him eligible for the DDP. What I've heard about Parkinson's is close to what MBH2 said, that especially at 20+ he's one to watch.

Just not enough information out there really though (on Thorpe, not Parkinsons).

i have a little information about mr t, but i can't substantiate it via a link. i have a friend who works at the house of commons, and he recently dated this little eastern european girl he met through someone working there, who turns out to be one of the carers employed by the thorpes. i asked him about mr t's health, and he says that she says (...) that he's actually failing. the parkinsons is taking a toll on other functions (if i remember rightly, this is how it finishes you off - was it john betjeman whose parkinsons affected his heart? that was certainly what happened with my uncle years back). thorpe is unable to do anything for himself now, and has 24-hour nursing/carers. he's suffering health problems from liver, heart and lungs related to the degeneration of parkinsons, and this is gradually finshing him. although it's not a rapid degenration, more medium-paced (if you like).

i have a little information about mr t, but i can't substantiate it via a link. i have a friend who works at the house of commons, and he recently dated this little eastern european girl he met through someone working there, who turns out to be one of the carers employed by the thorpes. i asked him about mr t's health, and he says that she says (...) that he's actually failing. the parkinsons is taking a toll on other functions (if i remember rightly, this is how it finishes you off - was it john betjeman whose parkinsons affected his heart? that was certainly what happened with my uncle years back). thorpe is unable to do anything for himself now, and has 24-hour nursing/carers. he's suffering health problems from liver, heart and lungs related to the degeneration of parkinsons, and this is gradually finshing him. although it's not a rapid degenration, more medium-paced (if you like).

That's brilliant sleuthing Pulphack. It makes him a cast iron candidate for 2007 if he makes it that far.

If it's to be believed, and I have no reason to doubt you yourself pulphack, then it is fascinating indeed and I'd say in any case, he should be on the DL 2007.

Thanks muchly for the info!

Agreed.

The last time I saw him, in person, and I believe it was the last time he was seen in public, was at Roy Jenkins' funeral in 2003.

He didn't look too bad, from a distance, but close up you could tell just how bad he was.

I'm amazed he is still going, to be honest, because there was a look in his eyes that just said "death".

And his Parkinson's Disease has apparently been at an "advanced" stage for over 20 years. That's a heck of a long time.

I agree with the above posts, and given the information supplied, that if he does make 2007 (which I am starting to doubt) he will be high up the list.

there was a look in his eyes that just said "death".

Dr Hack, are you Norman Scott by any chance?

there was a look in his eyes that just said "death".

I can't be. There have never been an ounce of Liberal in me! ;)

I can't be. There have never been an ounce of Liberal in me!
;);););)

I can't be. There have never been an ounce of Liberal in me! ;)

This contribution comes from Captain's Mate:

Q. How do you get four Liberals on to a bar stool?

A. Turn it upside down.

:);):P:blink:

Didn't anyone have a read on the article concerning Broon's

non-existant voting record on gay rights?

Hmm interesting. It seems that Gordy might end up being more attractive

to Middle England than we think...