Lord Football

John Spencer

How about snooker person John Spencer. According to The Scum he has stomach cancer and is "going to let nature take it's course".

Also note that snooker world champion of the 1970's, John Spencer is suffering from stomach cancer and he is not going to have treatment for the condiction. Hence if he makes it to 2006, he would be a major favorite in any UK based deadpool selection.

Presumably guys like Spencer are getting on a bit (already gone??).

After all 70's snooker player must be one of the worst health life-style choices going other than coal mining and bomb-disposal. Oh, and darts.

Spencer and Reardon are both still alive but are both heavy smokers.

Guest Guest_Bridge over the River Styx

I think John Spencer is a good tip for next year. That is assuming he makes it to the end of this one. He is not a well chappie. Definitely brown bread soon.

Shame really. He was a great snooker player in his time.

My hot tip for 2006 is 70's snooker world champ John Spencer....

Was featured on the BBC last week during their snooker coverage at the launch of his book on his life/career. Is suffering from cancer and a muscular disease whose name escapes me but he looked like death warmed up to be honest :)

The disease that Mr Spencer has is called Myasthenia Gravis.

My friend was diagnosed with the disease about 2 years ago.... it affects the more unknown organ the "THYMUS" which my friend has had removed. Not sure about John's though??

There is no known cure for this disease but I think he is more likely to be taken by the cancer than MG. He was parachuting out of a plane for charity about 2 months ago and seemed to be enjoying life. ;)

Maybe he hasnt potted his last black ball just yet!

:) VIENNA

xxxxx

Guest guest

John Spencer the snooker player has died aged 70 ........... think he had cancer , no link as yet .......... only a headliner on the BBC news website

John Spencer the snooker player has died aged 70 ........... think he had cancer , no link as yet .......... only a headliner on the BBC news website

Wh...What? I have him somewhere I know I do.

Yup, it's there, aged 70. Didn't know he was so old.

If these things come in threes as no doubt they do, we can expect a good break with Higgins and Hunter next to pot.

Is it just me or are they dropping like flies at the minute?

I suppose I had better scrub Spencer off my 2007 draft...

If these things come in threes as no doubt they do, we can expect a good break with Higgins and Hunter next to pot.

Is it just me or are they dropping like flies at the minute?

I suppose I had better scrub Spencer off my 2007 draft...

Should have got in earlier...

A good player, although I can only remember him when he was passed his peak.

If these things come in threes, as you say, shouldn't anyone called "John Spencer" be worried, seeing as the actor of the same name died in December (as reported on this site).

Three-time world snooker champion John Spencer has played his last frame.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_spor...ker/5171212.stm

This highlights the problem of moving posts from one thread to another. Yes, OK, there is a John Spencer thread, so someone has moved all the earlier posts that were in THIS thread* to that one. Hence we can't blame IKYWN for thinking he's first with the news.

* THIS thread being "Near Misses", just in case this subsequently gets moved also!

Well it is first thing in the morning. :lol:

My third DDP hit, but the only one so far with mixed feelings, as he was a good player & a knowlegeable commentator.

:lol:

Suddenly, I'm more hopeful about Ross Davidson....

I was thinking to myself yesterday afternoon, with Barrett, Basayev, Carrell & Allyson's deaths, how nice it would be to get 4 DDP hits in two days. Well.. maybe that's still on...

Guest Guest

Why was he not on this years list??????

Clive Dunn is ffs and he will live to be 100 :lol:

I honestly had no idea he was that old. A sad loss to the world of snooker. :rip:

Guest iain

71 is not really old these days.Nowadays we're lucky to get rid of them by 91 !

71 is not really old these days.Nowadays we're lucky to get rid of them by 91 !

I know 71 isn't old in comparison to a lot of people. I was stating that I thought he was younger than 71.

Many we'd be happy if they live to 100 and are often saddened to see them die.

I remember the year with reluctance that I put Spike Milligan on my list, very sad when he died and just last year when Link Wray died. I was totally flabbergasted that day.

If these things come in threes, as you say, shouldn't anyone called "John Spencer" be worried, seeing as the actor of the same name died in December (as reported on this site).

Except these things don't happen in threes. Something happens, ho hum. Something similar happens within a reasonably close time frame, and people start saying, "these things happen in threes", predicting something similar will happen. Then it never does.

So, in the spirit of iain-like daring predictions, I'll wager that neither that little midget footballer called John Spencer who played for Chelsea in the mid '90's (or any other famous John Spencer, if there is one) nor any two additional famous snooker players will die in 2006. Any takers?