Lord Football

John Spencer

If these things come in threes as no doubt they do, we can expect a good break with Higgins and Hunter next to pot.

If these things come in threes, as you say, shouldn't anyone called "John Spencer" be worried, seeing as the actor of the same name died in December (as reported on this site).

Except these things don't happen in threes. Something happens, ho hum. Something similar happens within a reasonably close time frame, and people start saying, "these things happen in threes", predicting something similar will happen. Then it never does.

So, in the spirit of iain-like daring predictions, I'll wager that neither that little midget footballer called John Spencer who played for Chelsea in the mid '90's (or any other famous John Spencer, if there is one) nor any two additional famous snooker players will die in 2006. Any takers?

OK Cowboy Ron, I'm willing to bet my full gravy consumption for January 2007 - and that's quite a sacrifice in such a cold month - that two more snooker players or two more prominent Spencers will kick the bucket before the year is out. There are outsiders like Joe Johnson to consider. He had a heart scare a while back didn't he? Bugger I was hoping Bill Werbeniuk would be a candidate but I see he died three years ago, missed that. Still there's Cliff Thorburn and Ray (the undead) Reardon. I feel quite confident about Higgins. He can't go on, can he?

Got the sad news this morning about John Spencer. What a call to make not to have treatment for an illness that can kill you. That's got to take real guts to accept the worst. He was one of my all time favorite players from the "Pot Black" era.

As an aside, his passing and the points from John being my joker pick now puts me into equal 2nd place in the DDP. Never last but we all live in hope.

If the old adage about things happening in threes has any truth, I think we need to drag the Alex Higgins thread to the top and await some action.

12 years ago today, John Spencer did not have a pot: he was smoked, aged 70.

13 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Are you on a one man campaign to keep old threads alive??

Just now, Dead Wait said:

Are you on a one man campaign to keep old threads alive??

Rather than use the Death Anniversary thread.

Isn't it interesting there were three major deaths on 11 July in three consecutive years on named threads? And all could do with tagging for tidying purposes...;)

Then I'll happily let 'em rest in peace....

(Never let me get bored...)

26 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

FFS YoungWillz. There's a Death anniversary thread for exactly this fucking purpose.

You're fucking up my old name search routine of clicking ten pages ahead until I find the name as well....

Please fucking stop you necro whore.

• Haha 1