Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

Alf Pearson

The man's made fleeting appearances in the Brinsworth House thread but - b 1910 - the long time music hall legend probably needs his own thread for others here to truly appreciate his coffin dodging antics. He made an album aged 94! Most famous as half a double act with brother Bob, Alf resides at Brinsworth, might best be described as 'sprightly' but he's 96. We'll have him - in all probability - in a few years so it's time to get out the binoculars and give the pre-war star a taste of 21st century stalking.

I see...

Actually I don't... I googled him and couldn't find any really juicy info on him. I suppose at one time he was the top banana musically but I have no idea what he ever really did. Guess maybe he's more of a European favorite who never hit it big in the States.

Alf Pearson still rockin' at 94. I think his mid-seventies sessions fronting a super-group with Lennon on guitar, Keith Moon on drums, Jack Bruce on Bass and Richie Blackmore on lead guitar were accidently wiped to record a Wombles album.

Bruno - Alf Pearson was half of Bob & Alf Pearson, a British vaudeville act pre-war who also did a lot of radio. One sang, the other did harmonies and played piano. Their theme tune ran 'we bring you melodies from out of the sky... my brother and I'. I guess they were at their peak in the fifties, as they were featured artists on 'Ray's A Laugh', a long-running radio show fronted by comic Ted Ray. One of them was also a pretty good voice mimic and light comic (not sure which, may have been Alf) who also featured as a foil for Ray in a number of the sketches and continuing features. Heard some a while back, and it hasn't really dated that well, but some of the sketches can still amuse. I guess he's the equivalent of someone like Eddie Anderson - a second banana and support, but never the star.

how do i set a darn avatar on this board? i'd like to put up a picture

Goofy -

May I direct your attention to possibly one of the most useful threads on this forum, created by our very own DLWG (I'm sure I'm missing an initial in this acronym but I can't remember what it is! <_< ) Point #6 should satiate your curiosity.

BTW - welcome!

Goofy -

May I direct your attention to possibly one of the most useful threads on this forum, created by our very own DLWG (I'm sure I'm missing an initial in this acronym but I can't remember what it is! ;) ) Point #6 should satiate your curiosity.

BTW - welcome!

I think thats a spammer, ie. <_<

Goofy -

May I direct your attention to possibly one of the most useful threads on this forum, created by our very own DLWG (I'm sure I'm missing an initial in this acronym but I can't remember what it is! :( ) Point #6 should satiate your curiosity.

BTW - welcome!

I think thats a spammer, ie. ;)

Really? <_< Whoops!

I shall retract my welcome, then.

I want to keep this guy to myself...but I need advice ....

Do you think Alf Pearson will get an obit ?

I want to keep this guy to myself...but I need advice ....

I must be really pised as I am sure I posted his just now.

Pearson. No. jhe's a utter nodbofdoy.

anyway, MPFDC has got him shortlisted on hsi list I understand.

Ah sh*t

No. He's an utter nobody.

[Alcoholics Anonymous spellchecker applied... [bruno, you really ought to invest in one of these too. :) ]]

OoO, do you fancy a bet? If Pearson doesn't get an obit, I'll post a video of myself singing his oh-so-fantastic Just One More Chance on youtube and provide a link here. If he does get an obit, you have that privilege.

Deal? :pop:

Okay, deal.

But as I have neither video equipment, and have never heard of this so-called song or so-called person, I will change my avatar to one of Alf. (this includes the previous deal within the Jane Tomlinson Avatar Challenge)

Oh.. proper obituary. In a proper newspaper. BBC don't count.

Okay, deal.

But as I have neither video equipment, and have never heard of this so-called song or so-called person, I will change my avatar to one of Alf. (this includes the previous deal within the Jane Tomlinson Avatar Challenge)

Who is Alf Pearson?

Okay, deal.

Who is Alf Pearson?

A Brinsworth resident I think.

http://www.eabf.org.uk/alfpearson/index.htm

Oh...

...he'll probably get an obit I suppose... :)

If you want to know about jocky wilson, the dart player he has been suffering from cancer for 2 years and has now lost over 4 stone in weight

[Moved from topic "Brinsworth House". We don't have a separate Darts Tossers topic. Yet -- MH]

Thank you for this James. Can you be any more specific about the cancer?

Okay, deal.

Sounds good. And yes, BBC won't count. Nor the Brinsworth House Gazette or similar :)

Okay, deal.

Sounds good. And yes, BBC won't count. Nor the Brinsworth House Gazette or similar :)

A King Rat is assured an obit.

OoO, do you fancy a bet? If Pearson doesn't get an obit, I'll post a video of myself singing his oh-so-fantastic Just One More Chance on youtube and provide a link here. If he does get an obit, you have that privilege.

Deal?

Okay, deal.

A King Rat is assured an obit.

Well, I won't be changing my avatar to one of Alf after seeing in the DDP update that he's dead ,and dead for a good few months and I look forward to Alphonsin on You Tube soon - he may not be on here any more, but I think I still have his email address and am happy to remind him of said bet.

Sadly Godot and Real Madron are also not on here for me to prove that Alf Pearson was simply too obscure to make anybody care about his passing.

I hadn't even heard of him. RIP none the less, nice long life, 102 is.

Here is the Stage's obit (not a proper one to ruin the bet above) to ward off any "Who was that? Why didn't he get picked by the DL?" style questions with this threadcromancy.

Sunderland Echo obit below. I'm fairly sure Alf will get some national/DDP counting coverage, if only because his local fame was such that the BBC will make something of it in the north east and that will spread.

It matters a wee bit because, like Sergei Sokolov, Alf is one of my 20 Tons of Fun theme team.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/community/nostalgia/retro/sunderland-singer-takes-his-final-curtain-at-102-1-4757751