themaninblack

The Next Piper At The Gates Of Heaven

Who's next to take the last trip?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Because it should be posted here too.

Ian McDonald, the multi-instrumentalist who was a founding member of both King Crimson and Foreigner, has died at the age of 75.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/ian-mcdonald-king-crimson-foreigner-dead/

Wide-open goal and you missed it

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, time said:

Wide-open goal and you missed it

You could say Sir Creep missed his chance of using an epitaph.:duck:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

It’s sad to see a topic celebrating such psychedelic oddballs as Roky, Syd, Beefheart and Copey should be reduced to mentioning… a bloke from Foreigner. 

I mean tbf, that’s not really saying the full picture of McDonald’s career given he also worked with the original King Crimson lineup

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

It’s sad to see a topic celebrating such psychedelic oddballs as Roky, Syd, Beefheart and Copey should be reduced to mentioning… a bloke from Foreigner. 

Perhaps it would be more fitting in the prog thread, but the "bloke from Foreigner" was a founding member of King Crimson. He also wrote my favourite song from the debut album:

• Like 1

Yes, I can read, and I'm aware he was a member of a careerist prog band whose leader was as anti-psychedelics as Frank Zappa and Nancy Reagan. Foreigner are artistic visionaries in comparison.

The picture on the album cover is a photo of me just after being told I have to listen to it.

• Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Planetist said:

Perhaps it would be more fitting in the prog thread, but the "bloke from Foreigner" was a founding member of King Crimson. He also wrote my favourite song from the debut album:

Aye, the very track we've chosen to mark his passing on radio

5 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Don Craine, founder/guitarist/vocalist of cult freakbeat/garage rockers The Downliners Sect, died on 24/02. One for the MPFC show, for sure.

He was also a pioneer of the deerstalker in pop music.

An Interview with Don Craine of Downliners Sect: The legendary British band  of the beat boom era – Blues.Gr

That show is being handled differently this year, we're recording segments month by month and we've already started bumping people because it's been a busy year to say the least. That said, I have such a love for this little gem that any excuse to drop it into the action is welcomed: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really dig the song, but hoo boy what a poor name for a band.  :mellow:

11 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I really dig the song, but hoo boy what a poor name for a band.  :mellow:

Yeah, and with all due respects to the recently deceased - a deer stalker hat is basically a shit fashion statement for a band, 1964, or today>

Don Craine appeared on yesterday's episode of Antiques Roadshow, showing off various bits of memorabilia from the Eel Pie Island club. I didn't catch a mention of his death at the end of the episode.

On 26/05/2021 at 22:21, maryportfuncity said:

Sonja Kristina's social media is reporting the death of the gloriously named Florian Pilkington-Miksa, former Curved Air drummer. 

191308574_10158139392330677_304697232523

Ian Eyre, bassist with Curved Air who also co-wrote their hit Back Street Luv which reached #4 in the UK charts in September 1971, reportedly dead aged 70: https://www.loudersound.com/news/curved-air-bassist-ian-eyre-has-died-aged-70

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

Apparently Berlin School electronic artist Klaus Schulze has died. An early member of Tangerine Dream, he went on to a long solo career.

Awwwww..... no..... I liked him, sort of. In my opinion, that old Berlin School tended to produce a little too much music, and it all became a tad generic. But some of his albums are pleasant to listen to.

Actually, I had wondered before if he would obit. But it seems many of those electronic pioneers die long before they would normally come into deadpooling consideration. Edgar Froese, Florian Schneider, now Klaus Schulze. They don't seem to get old!

By the way, he just announced a new album to be released in June: https://www.loudersound.com/news/klaus-schulze-announces-new-studio-album

I have no idea whether this is the right thread, but psych rock is mentioned here so...

Derek Brown, keyboardist since 2009 with the Flaming Lips has posted this, so perhaps someone could enlighten me as to what treatment this might be for: 

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I have no idea whether this is the right thread, but psych rock is mentioned here so...

Derek Brown, keyboardist since 2009 with the Flaming Lips has posted this, so perhaps someone could enlighten me as to what treatment this might be for: 

Bit nonspecific - could be cancer, Covid or a cholestral issue, or - indeed - a dozen or so more issues ranging from life-threatening to annoying. Then again, maybe he was just heading home having seen a woefully obscure prog band by the name of Monoclonal Antibodies in a bar, or summat!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The musician Vittorio De Scalzi, singer, multi-instrumentalist and composer known for having founded the progressive rock band New Trolls, active between 1967 and 1997, died at the age of 72. De Scalzi had suffered from pulmonary fibrosis a month after recovering from Covid.

https://alwaysfreshnews.com/news/entertainment/380034/vittorio-de-scalzi-founder-of-the-new-trolls-died-at-the-age-of-72/

• Like 1

I'd say Nuggets was psychedelia in the making - some of the bands on it had got there, some were still imitating the earlier Stones, Beatles and Yardbirds, and a lot were somewhere in between. In any case it's a classic compilation, the first time anyone had collected a lot of tracks that became garage-rock standards.

Probs the best annual form-studying option for this thread have just announced the 2023 box of goodies. Zombies Argent and Blundstone (who look like Saturday bill toppers on that poster) will both be 78 by then

316413171_635898411538655_19757340142348

• Like 1