themaninblack

The Next Piper At The Gates Of Heaven

Who's next to take the last trip?  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tony Hill, guitarist and vocalist who formed the band High Tide with Simon House who went on to Hawkwind, reportedly dead: 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Tony Hill, guitarist and vocalist who formed the band High Tide with Simon House who went on to Hawkwind, reportedly dead:

High Tide had two brilliant albums.  It's a shame they didn't take off like, say, Black Sabbath did.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

Manuel Göttsching of Ash Ra Tempel dead at 70:

With Klaus Schulze gone that's only one member surviving from their original lineup.

Manuel was the last one, Hartmut Enke has long been dead.

1 hour ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

There were a lot of later members. They made an album with Timothy Leary!

Aye, a glorious slice of self-indulgent space rock - the only unappealing aspect of which is that it's not readily available to download and tends to hold its price where physical copies are concerned. 

61oO8Kk-SKL._AC_.jpg

Camel's latest tour - marking 50 years since the first album - is on hold because their main man has serious trouble requiring urgent surgery. Lower spine into leg, could be summat mechanical that'll get sorted or more. Plan to reschedule the dates, apparently. 

https://www.camelproductions.com/

Mick Slattery the guitarist who started off with psychedelic band The Famous Cure along with Dave Brock before they both teamed up to form Hawkwind in 1969 has died aged 77

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, justonecornetto said:

Mick Slattery the guitarist who started off with psychedelic band The Famous Cure along with Dave Brock before they both teamed up to form Hawkwind in 1969 has died aged 77

Only 2 original members are still alive, Dave Brock & Terry Ollis.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Various reports that David Laflamme, violinist, vocalist and composer with It's A Beautiful Day whose biggest hit was White Bird, used in many film and TV shows, has died: 

Obviously corroboration needed, source seems fairly reliable.

Wiki has him dead as of 7 Aug - no cause of death specified atm. Had appeared, very much against type, in Frasier, Ellen and Wings shows as a strolling violinist pretty much mugging customers for cash by playing too loud. 

Could've been MUCH better known. Another of these random stories. When the organisers of the Woodstock Festival were buying up bay area bands for their gig the Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane were shoo-ins but Bill Graham (bay area promoter and band representative) drove a deal that cut in a few lesser known acts. It came down to haggling over one extra act when Graham wanted two extra on the bill and in the end Graham backed down but insisted the final act were chosen on a coin toss so he didn't have to decide to stiff one of his bands. The losing act in the coin toss was It's a Beautiful Day. Point being, the Woodstock movie did massive business for years, several acts kept a high profile on the back of it and others got their first serious exposure and went on to be big, one such being the act who won that coin toss - Santana. Had the coin fallen the other way it's likely European gigs etc. would have gone the way of LaFlamme's band. 

• Like 5

Somebody in my student house had that album, but I only remember White Bird.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2023 at 12:45, YoungWillz said:

Various reports that David Laflamme, violinist, vocalist and composer with It's A Beautiful Day whose biggest hit was White Bird, used in many film and TV shows, has died: 

Obviously corroboration needed, source seems fairly reliable.

For completeness, David Laflamme: https://bestclassicbands.com/david-laflamme-obituary-8-8-23/

It's A Beautiful Day were a great band - as with so many, screwed over by Matthew Katz, and their debut album cover is one of the classics of its genre. RIP.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vinegar Tits said:

It's A Beautiful Day were a great band - as with so many, screwed over by Matthew Katz, and their debut album cover is one of the classics of its genre. RIP.

Ah Katz, born 1929, still around, definitely obitable and a life full of stories - his lengthy legal disputes with Moby Grape and Jefferson Airplane alone should ensure the likes ot The Guardian cough up the q/o as and when...

Thought I'd, like, mention it here :D

• Like 1

Sank ales and staggered from stage to stage at New Day over the weekend, form studying opportunities for this thread offered themselves, though no obvious wake up calls to rival the "fucking hell that's Chris Farlowe!" moment of 2022 as we watched a semi-ambulant vocalist incapable of high notes plonk himself in a chair whilst the musicians around him took solos.  By contrast 2023 offered up the highly obitable Jacqui McShee, 80 on Christmas Day (i.e. exactly 14 years older than Shane MacGowan) and likely to be celebrating on the evidence of her set. 

369527306_772781324848519_26517157078618

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

This thread has meandered a long way through the magycle forest to get from Syd and Roky to Chris Farlowe and Jacqui McShee.

Yes this thread has lost it's way a bit, slipping from LSD and psilocybin through to cannabis right down to "horse manure and bus tickets", to quote Harold Steptoe.

• Like 1

Roger Waters, healthy enough to get on a stage but wayward enough that he's now reduced to telling his own fans to fuck off! Generally agreed, late period (trio) Floyd were the most convivial and chilled line up, I don't see Mason or Gilmour offering him a way home from the current shit.

https://news.yahoo.com/pink-floyd-fans-left-unimpressed-192544321.html

• Haha 1

And speaking of Floyd - as I was a couple of months back - the brief flurry of interest around the reissuing of the much maligned (largely by them) Atom Heart Mother reminds us that Ron Geesin, who played a significant role in that album, remains very much with us. 80 in a few days time and a shoo-in obit wise if only because of his brief dalliance with Floyd on that UK #1 album. Think he's fairly chipper by all accounts, so likely nowt to see here, yet!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Geesin

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

And speaking of Floyd - as I was a couple of months back - the brief flurry of interest around the reissuing of the much maligned (largely by them) Atom Heart Mother reminds us that Ron Geesin, who played a significant role in that album, remains very much with us. 80 in a few days time and a shoo-in obit wise if only because of his brief dalliance with Floyd on that UK #1 album. Think he's fairly chipper by all accounts, so likely nowt to see here, yet!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Geesin

That reminds me I have Music From The Body filed away somewhere. Must give that another listen!

4 hours ago, time said:

That reminds me I have Music From The Body filed away somewhere. Must give that another listen!

Yeah, I have that - years ago, as in so long back I was recording a CD onto a tape for the car, the CD stuck on a blissful little little point of humming and I rammed a new tape in and snagged 45 mins of one side of that moment of electric noise. Told the missus it was a "meditation tape" I'd just got. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aye, so Floyd updates again - Dave Gilmour looking well on form in recent social media pictures of recording of new album, which'll doubtless top the UK charts and tweak the blood pressure of Roger Waters up a notch or two.

Was also talking recently about the people who featured on Dark Side of the Moon, i.e. backing musicians and the like who're doubtless obitable if still alive. Claire Torry (76 years old) who did the memorable vocal on Great Gig in the Sky is still with us: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clare_Torry

So too saxophonist Dick Parry who blows estimably on Us and Them and Money: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Parry