Sign in to follow this  
Octopus of Odstock

Patrick Allen

The actor Patrick Allen has died. He was 79 Obituary.

Now whilst Smith & Richmond were on my DDP long-list - last year Allen was on my DDP top 20! <_< Having said that, I'm surprised he's died as he seemed well.

Guest iain

sad to hear Patrick has died.Ive been enjoying his continuity announcement s on E4 recently.they were very funny.MAYBE HES BEST KNOWN FOR being the voice of the nuclear war alert adverts back in the days of the cold war though.If there ever is a global nuclear holocaust its going to be strange not having Patrick to be the first to tell us about it!

here is his copious IMDB listing

and his wikipedia entry

he was a true British legend

sad to hear Patrick has died.Ive been enjoying his continuity announcement s on E4 recently.they were very funny.MAYBE HES BEST KNOWN FOR being the voice of the nuclear war alert adverts back in the days of the cold war though.If there ever is a global nuclear holocaust its going to be strange not having Patrick to be the first to tell us about it!

and his wikipedia entry

he was a true British legend

Iain, what a measured and respectful response. It fair brings tears to my eyes! Have you been in rehab?

The actor Patrick Allen has died. He was 79 Obituary.

Now whilst Smith & Richmond were on my DDP long-list - last year Allen was on my DDP top 20! <_< Having said that, I'm surprised he's died as he seemed well.

His name didn't imediately spring to mind, but having a look at his profile on imdb and seeing the productions that he had been involved in, now I recognise who he was.

I honestly wouldn't have considered him for a good few years at least.

One of Patrick Allen's last jobs was doing the silly voice bits on Christian O'Connell's Virgin FM show. Terrible show (made worse by my old clock radio alarm's insistence at that point of receiving nothing except Virgin with any degree of clarity), made vaguely bearable by those distinctive tones. Around March he disappeared, repalced by Brian Blessed, with a few references to ill health. I got a new clock radio alarm and dispensed with Virgin, and assumed that the 'ill-health' was a minor indisposition. Which is why it was never mentioned on 'possibilities. etc' by myself at the time. Damn! Very sad for Allen, but an opportunity missed for yours truly.

Incidentally, if anyone ever gets the chance to see the DVD of 'The Bodystealers', the commentary by Allen is well worth listening to: the film is a turkey*, and in lieu of anything else he discusses his career and people he's met at great length, coming across as a terribly nice bloke, and very self-effacing.

(*though of the 'so-bad-it's-good' type if you like swinging sixties movies)

That's a shame about Patrick Allen, one of the most recognisable voices....

And don't forget he was 'The Hawk' in the first series of Blackadder

As well as the man who beat the otter to death in 'Ring of Bright Water', at

least according to "The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer"....... <_<

I bags his Barrett home when his widow decides she can't live with the memories it brings!

Guest David

and his wikipedia entry

He was a true British legend.

Octopus, have you ever seen the comedy movie Carry On Doctor? Only there's a bit where a bloke says", And so, a great hospital swings into action, its doctors, nurses and orderlies working round the clock, calmly, coolly and efficiently to relieve the suffering of others." Is that him? My dad says it is - but I think he's wrong. Can you setlle this father/son bet?

My dad says it is - but I think he's wrong. Can you setlle this father/son bet?

I've not seen the movie, but seeing how he's not on the cast list, I'd have to say no, twas not he.

He was a true British legend.

Octopus, have you ever seen the comedy movie Carry On Doctor? Only there's a bit where a bloke says", And so, a great hospital swings into action, its doctors, nurses and orderlies working round the clock, calmly, coolly and efficiently to relieve the suffering of others." Is that him? My dad says it is - but I think he's wrong. Can you setlle this father/son bet?

I'll settle it. It is Patrick Allen. He did quite a few voiceovers for the Carry On films. Also catch his narration for the documentary 'All My Loving', about pop music, made in 1968...

And whaddya mean you've never seen Carry On Doctor OoO? That's a disgrace that is... :D