Sign in to follow this  
Octopus of Odstock

Alfredo Stroessner

Bit surprised to see in a search, that he's barely mentioned anywhere, apart from me moaning that he hasn't died yet.

Well, it looks like he might just soon:

Stroessner in "fragile" condition, in intensive care.

Stroessner in "critical condition"

This thread may be a relatively short one if he dies soon, but if he somehow comes out of this, then he's a worthy candidate for DL next year.

But OOO needs DDP points (especially if Sharon dies soon) & with Stroessner being a right bastard anyway, OOO would be most pleased with Stroessner's passing.

He's just died, it was on the BBC website crawler

Yup. Here's the link.

That was quick, when I glanced at it, it just said "More Soon" at the end and there was no article linked to the crawler report

Oh, jolly bean! :birthday:

DDP points are always welcome. I might get some more if Ford goes, but at least I've banked 4 points before the Sharon/Mafouz/anyone else race to join Stroessner.

DDP aside, I really can't say I'm sorry to see Stroessner go, and neither, by the looks of it, is Paraguay:

Paraguay had said earlier it would not pay tribute to him as he was a renegade from justice and was wanted for questioning over alleged rights abuses.

That photo of him c. 2001, he looked pretty naff then, so he did well to get this far, although earlier this year I had my doubts whether he'd go because he was still semi-active..

Congratulations on your hit, OoO. Now if only a few others like Ronnie Biggs and Ross Davidson would oblige by also carking it :birthday:

Regards,

ff

Congratulations on your hit, OoO. Now if only a few others like Ronnie Biggs and Ross Davidson would oblige by also carking it :birthday:

Regards,

ff

Ditto OoO

and agreed about Biggs and Davidson. More so with Biggs as that means my #2 pick on my DP sweepstake would have died after my #1 pick, and if Brooke Astor was to follow closely behind the all 3 would have died in that order

Guest iain

This is the beginning of a 'roll' of ex dicatators deaths.Expect to hear the deaths of Castro Waldheim and Pinochet in coming weeks,as well as Sharon and Ford.We're going to have a blitz of political deaths coming up so get ready!

This is the beginning of a 'roll' of ex dicatators deaths.Expect to hear the deaths of Castro Waldheim and Pinochet in coming weeks,as well as Sharon and Ford.We're going to have a blitz of political deaths coming up so get ready!

You know what... that is actually possible. I wouldn't say all of them in the next few weeks, but all of them by the end of the year is not too fanciful an idea.

But who can tell in this funny year for deaths.

One thing though.. I wouldn't exactly call Ford or Waldheim a "dictator" as such...

:birthday::(:lol::lol::lol::lol:

what about Michael Foot?

Probably sticking my head on the block here, but I think the only two that are the most likely are Sharon and Castro.

Ford possibly a bit shaky and may have another stroke or just a heart attack.

Pinochet although a bit frail, I reckon he's still got a year or two to go.