Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

Martin O'Neill

Martin O'Neill...

Good job Villa didn't make the FA Cup final as the Queen will be there.

An evil, evil man and the sooner Villa fans realise he was turned down for the England job because the FA were shown a dossier on his background, the better... :lol:

So that rapid passing of the ball and frantic running is just another variation on the fastest sport known to man.....Irish pass the parcel.

The good thing about resurrecting old threads is that just occasionally you see a post you haven't spotted before. I'm still laughing at this MPFC.

Now it's clear that Hack is itching to get something off his chest about O'Neill. But what is it? The suggestion, as far as I can see, is that in his youth O'Neill may have found himself mixing with some unsavoury Irish nationalist types or have I missed the subtle undertones in the mention of Gaelic football? So what are we talking about here and at what level? Organised crime, tarring and feathering, gun running, knee capping, or making the cucumber sandwiches at the annual Wolfe Tone birthday gathering? What's in the dodgy dossier? In the interest of fair comment I think we have to know.

Martin O'Neill...

Good job Villa didn't make the FA Cup final as the Queen will be there.

An evil, evil man and the sooner Villa fans realise he was turned down for the England job because the FA were shown a dossier on his background, the better... :shoot2:

Hack man, if you're not gonna dish the dirt could you - like - post a link where some scurrulous types might be chatting about it? I understood, as O'Neill let slip and the press discussed, that he was turned down because he said firmly during a preliminary chat that he wouldn't have their coaches and lackeys, including Alan Shearer, foisted on him.

O' Neill and the Chosen One are the shortest odds in the early running. Maybe it's time Hack - or anyone else with information - posted some links to back up the earlier engrossing suggestions. I mean, we've got to study form for our own purposes here.

Hmm... I'd have thought that anyone with 'friends' of that ilk would have refused an OBE fairly sharpish.

Sounds to me like a Glasgow Rangers urban myth to me.

Hmm... I'd have thought that anyone with 'friends' of that ilk would have refused an OBE fairly sharpish.

Sounds to me like a Glasgow Rangers urban myth to me.

Ah, that was a tactical OBE acceptance, though :angry:

Guest irishman
And there's me thinking that young Catholic men played Gaelic football because it was the national sport of Ireland.

It's shocking to now realise that the justification that was used by loyalist murder gangs ie Catholic=GAA=IRA was in fact was correct.

Next time they go in to a half-time huddle I will realise that they are not planning on how to beat the opposition but are really plotting the downfall of the state.

Thanks for enlightening me.

Wow! Who mentioned the IRA.

Perhaps I should have made it clearer by adding that people who play Gaelic football very briefly then disappear.

And I thought the national sport of Ireland was blowing up old men who are out fishing with their little grandsons!

That's a really, really brave thing to do and I think Catholics the world over should rejoice at the braveness of the IRA. Who, of course, never feel the need to cover their faces in public...

Bit of a one sided view there. What about the British Army or RUC who murdered innocent children with plastic bullets, or their collusion with the loyalist paramilitaries in the murders of equally innocent catholics . They could fill a few deathlists. I'm not defending anything the IRA did but there are two sides to every story. With regards to your comments on GAA, you are just showing your ignorance. There is more bigotry on the terraces of soccer stadiums. GAA fans do not chant sectarian songs.

What about the British Army or RUC who murdered innocent children with plastic bullets

If those kids had plastic bullets how could they be 'innocent?'

GAA fans do not chant sectarian songs.

You're wrong about that. From Wiki:

in 2007 Fermanagh player Darren Graham, who represented the county at both Gaelic football and hurling, temporarily left the sport. Graham had received sectarian abuse from fans, due to being a Protestant

Guest irishman
GAA fans do not chant sectarian songs.

You're wrong about that. From Wiki:

in 2007 Fermanagh player Darren Graham, who represented the county at both Gaelic football and hurling, temporarily left the sport. Graham had received sectarian abuse from fans, due to being a Protestant

This only proves that you should never trust Wiki. Darren Graham was the victim of abuse from opposing players and not fans. They obviously saw his religious background as his achille's heel and used it the way players in many sports tend to do, to gain some pychological advantage. Its true these players used such unfortunate tactics to put him off his game, but this was one incident. I'm sure you didn't find many other examples like Darren Graham on Google. Thankfully Darren has reconsidered and is now playing again.

The GAA is not a sectarian organisation, although it is painted that way by certain circles out of political point-scoring and/or jealousy. Its true that there were some draconian rules in the GAA but thankfully these have now been changed. Some of these weren't surprising given the likes of bloody Sunday in 1920 (see http://www.gaa.ie/page/bloody_sunday.html)

Although gaelic games are largely played by those from the nationalist/catholic community, there are players throughout the decades that have come from a protestant/unionist background, in fact some hold All-Ireland medals. Jack Boothman held the top job of GAA president a few years ago.

Maryportfuncity, plastic bullets were in the possession of the security forces, not civilians/children. They were a crowd control measure and supposed to be used by bouncing them off the ground from distance to hit the lower body region. Unfortunately on many occassions their aim was a bit high. There is footage of civilians being fired at from blank range at head height. Both sides of the community were killed by these plastic bullets. The British government saw fit to use them here but never did on mainland Britian.

I hope my point has not been missed here. It is that you can't make fleeting statements about something you don't know enough about. Oh and by the way, I think Martin ONeill will sleep soundly in his bed, safe in the knowledge that he is not a target of republicans. Anyway sure Capello has the job. He's a cert to get assassinated by the british tabloids.

Great site by the way!

[Maryportfuncity, plastic bullets were in the possession of the security forces, not civilians/children. They were a crowd control measure and supposed to be used by bouncing them off the ground from distance to hit the lower body region. Unfortunately on many occassions their aim was a bit high. There is footage of civilians being fired at from blank range at head height. Both sides of the community were killed by these plastic bullets. The British government saw fit to use them here but never did on mainland Britian.

[snip]

Great site by the way!

I suspect Maryportfuncity knows that (as do most of us), and was just doing a "Lynne Truss" on your earlier comment.

Indeed Dr S, thanks for pointing it out. I wonder if the guest Irishman could tell us if there was any truth in the rumours that Ulster lesbians fought long and hard for possession of the odd stray rubber bullet.

And Dr John Reid, who allowed the continuation of the use of plastic bullets, is now chairman of the sporting wing of the IRA, aka The Celtic Football Club.

Now that's progress ;)

Looking for return to management: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/13461873/celtic-martin-oneill-return/

Not quite sure why The Sun makes a big deal about him being 68. Unless he does take over from Lennon at Celtic...standing out in the pouring rain and Scottish hailstones might, just might, finish him off!

Still seems to shout his mouth off at anybody and anyone by the sounds of it.