Cowboy Ronnie

I Thought They Were Supposed To Be Killing Off Pluto...

...but now it turns out astronomists seem poised to add three clumps of rock to the established order of the nine existing planets. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14364833/

I'm fine with "Charon" (the name of the ferryman Chris DeBurgh urged people crossing the River Styx not to pay until he got them to the other side) and would suggest it be the Death List's adopted new planet. "Ceres" was a bit of a lame goddess and I don't think merits having a whole planet named after her. And as for "2003 UB313", well that really captures the imagination....

...as for "2003 UB313", well that really captures the imagination....

Doesn't it though? :(

I am saddened though that they didn't opt to name one of the planets Goofy or in a pinch how about Disney?

According to some guy on Radio Four this morning there will now be a mass of planets added, expanding the solar system well into three figures. Once we colonise them all I guess this new lot of freezing, lifeless apologies will constitute the Third Solar System and be full of sweatshops and fermenting terrorist cells, or summat.

...but now it turns out astronomists seem poised to add three clumps of rock to the established order of the nine existing planets. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14364833/

I'm fine with "Charon" (the name of the ferryman Chris DeBurgh urged people crossing the River Styx not to pay until he got them to the other side) and would suggest it be the Death List's adopted new planet. "Ceres" was a bit of a lame goddess and I don't think merits having a whole planet named after her. And as for "2003 UB313", well that really captures the imagination....

It's a debate that will go on for quite a while, going back and forth. I wonder if they're going to do another interview with the woman who named Pluto originally. She's getting on a bit, might get a fleeting mention in the papers. Actually I forget her name but there was an article on the BBC site earlier in the year.

I hope they are going to give them snappier names. How about Micky, Minnie & Donald?

It's a debate that will go on for quite a while, going back and forth. I wonder if they're going to do another interview with the woman who named Pluto originally. She's getting on a bit, might get a fleeting mention in the papers. Actually I forget her name but there was an article on the BBC site earlier in the year.

From reading your other post... is it Venetia Phair?

Great shame.

But at least Holst will no longer be spinning in his grave with everyone berating him for not including a 9th planet.

Does this mean Plutonium will be removed from the periodic table?

This just in: No links yet, but The Astronomical Society of Pluto has just determined that Earth

no longer fits the Plutonian criteria for planethood.

In an impassioned speech , Grand Astronomer Flapsuuk Bleeb stated 'Earth is a puny asteroid-like entity which is irrelevant to the solar system and not worthy of further discussion'

Mr Tombaugh's widow Patricia is still alive at 94. If she dies next year she'll surely get an obit as this will be relatively fresh in the news. I'm sure one of his colleagues is still alive too.

No health news mind, but you never know.

They've named one of Pluto's fellow dwarf planets.

Eris.

Eric, would have been better, and as it's bigger than Pluto, that could have been renamed "little Ern".

Pluto becomes a plutoid, as does its brother Eric Eris. I bet it's a right laugh at these astronomical classification committee meetings.

Found this on Wiki:-

On February 11, 2004, 38-year-old cast member Javier Cruz died when he was accidentally run over by the Beauty and the Beast parade float in a backstage area. Cruz was dressed as Pluto at the time. This led OSHA to fine Disney $6,300 for having cast members in restricted areas.